• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Saying we could have done better isn't the same as saying we failed, but I think it's time to stop talking about his time at Spurs, especially in this thread. We have enough data from THIS season to see patterns emerging. We can use the early stages of this season for comparisons instead whenever necessary.

But those patterns have to be compared against something, and that would be at a minimum last season's data. It is only natural for people to want to compare things, and right now there is very little to compare this season or AVB against other than a) How we performed last season and b) how we compare to AVB's Chelsea team last season.

But those patterns have to be compared against something, and that would be at a minimum last season's data. It is only natural for people to want to compare things, and right now there is very little to compare this season or AVB against other than a) How we performed last season and b) how we compare to AVB's Chelsea team last season.

There's been little else than comparisons to last seasons, with the usual ensuing Redknapp debates as there's very little agreement to be had.

There's been little else than comparisons to last seasons, with the usual ensuing Redknapp debates as there's very little agreement to be had.

I think I wrote it elsewhere, but it is a shame that some fans can't seem to appreciate the fact that we were good under both Redknapp and are good under AVB.

I always look to see whether we have improved as a team?

Against Man Utd last year, the starting line ups were:

Tottenham starting lineup:- Friedel, Walker, King, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Livermore, Sandro, Modric, Adebayor, Saha.

Man Utd starting lineup:- De Gea, Jones, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra, Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Young, Rooney, Welbeck.

We lost this game 1-3, although we had 57% of the possession, Utd scored from 60% of their on target efforts, whilst we scored from 11% of ours.

Against them this year:

Tottenham starting lineup:- Lloris, Naughton, Dawson, Walker, Caulker, Dempsey, Lennon, Parker, Bale, Defoe, Dembele.

Man Utd starting lineup:- De Gea, Rafael, Evra, Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa, Welbeck, Van Persie.

We drew this game 1-1 and although we had 52% of the possession, Utd scored from 25% of their on target efforts, whilst we scored from 6% of ours.

I guess what these simplistic stats seem to indicate is that our defensive play has got better of late. However, we are crying out for a more clinical, prolific striker. I think that AVB is slowly making us harder to beat, but his "system" needs someone decent up front. Under Harry, we were more open and expansive, but we went through a period where we made it oh so easy for quality teams to score against us?

In summary, I am more than happy with AVB at the moment, I just wish that Levy would splash the cash on some quality firepower!?

Thanks for that information. That was an eye-opener.

This is at the root of a lot of the arguments. Many on here have a dislike of Harry Redknapp, the person. That doesn't mean they're trying to discredit everything he achieved with us.

That is simply not true. Either you're being incredibly short sighted/biased or you haven't been paying attention to this thread and other threads. Steff and Wriggly are the only two posters I know of who don't like the man but still give him credit. I'm sure I've missed other posters though so apologies for that.

i posted something else here but i am almost certain it would come off aggressive...so can you do me a favour just so i dont hold on to this niggling feeling

can you show me where you have said something like this or similar when people are talking about Harry? seriously..... i just want to see you throwing rules and guidelines at someone that has muddied Harry's name or said something nasty or untoward kind of thing.

+1

That is simply not true. Either you're being incredibly short sighted/biased or you haven't been paying attention to this thread and other threads. Steff and Wriggly are the only two posters I know of who don't like the man but still give him credit. I'm sure I've missed other posters though so apologies for that.

I have noticed many times someone saying something negative about Redknapp, not related to what he achieved, being met with the tired 4-5-4 or something similar. I've personally never really credited or discredited as far as I can remember. While I often voiced unhappiness about things, I was in the 'stay camp' until he started with his contract shenanigans.

I will now do my utmost not to mention him again in this thread.

thats fair enough man, we can only voice how we feel about things. sometimes it gets unnecessarily heated , but i will say this if harry did just a decent job the i dont see how people are not allowed to say that AVB is only doing a decent job......
i agree with the last sentence though, there were things that could have been better and with a better manager would have been better ...but that isnt the reason i would knock harry down to decent

there ARE flaws in AVB's tenure but that doesnt mean he isnt doing a good job just because he has things thats need improving. you get my drift?

one more thing...how do you explain that possession stat if harry is known for primarily getting 11 players defending and getting on the counter? seems an odd figure in the high 50s for someone that just operates on the break. could it be that harry got his team to be adept in BOTH? but the counter attacking is what sticks out in your mind cause we were able to do its so well so often and so exciting like?

AfricanSpurs I can assure you I've got no problems with fellow Spurs saying AVB is doing a decent job , why should anyone for that matter?

As for Harry, for me got us into Champions League for the first time so I thank him for that but he didn't do it with a team that set out to impose themselves on the opposition with dominant possession. It was a mixture of belief, solid defence, fast counter attacking and long ball to Crouch. It were only when Modric was switched to the center and Bale introduced out on the left wing that we saw more possession. This possession was however often given up against the top teams.

The possession stats improved with the seasons and as, Modric himself improved, also with the introduction of VDV. However, even watching our players stroke it about I felt on many occasions it was labored, unimaginative in the opponents final third ( similar now ) and when up against the top teams pressing us, possession was given up for long ball kicks from our back line and Friedel . I do think we will see Spurs under AVB persist with improving possession against the top teams and I feel we've already seen progress since the hammering we took at the Emirates, its not yet anywhere near to the level required but hopefully by next season we're a far slicker team with the ball.

Fine. But you have to apply context. Which many cannot ever seem to do. BTW welcome to the forum mate, the tenor of your online 'voice' suggests there are a couple of ready-made friends here for ya!
:lol:

I have just seen 2 joke AVB out threads, but with what we know about Levy, he doesn't like major mistakes and will hold it against him. I have a feeling 4th is what will be required now to remove levys finger from the trigger. 5th will see him tout the job around and see who we can get, anything lower and I just can't imagine Levy not reacting.

And I don't think there will be any daft "it's a project" consideration. Levy came to Spurs and talked about a 5 year plan. The first 5 years saw about 5 different managers.

I have just seen 2 joke AVB out threads, but with what we know about Levy, he doesn't like major mistakes and will hold it against him. I have a feeling 4th is what will be required now to remove levys finger from the trigger. 5th will see him tout the job around and see who we can get, anything lower and I just can't imagine Levy not reacting.

And I don't think there will be any daft "it's a project" consideration. Levy came to Spurs and talked about a 5 year plan. The first 5 years saw about 5 different managers.

Is that what you think, or more what you want?

I see where you are coming from, with Levys previous, but honestly don't think he will pull the trigger yet.

worked a treat didnt it

I disagree.

Harry wasn't offered a new contract for a raft of reasons that had nothing to do with the performance of the team (not the least of which was that he persistently turned down the offer of a new contract while the England job looked likely).

Unless AVB and Levy are, unbeknown to us, at loggerheads behind the scenes and incapable of working together any longer, I can't see Levy sacking him unless we seriously slide - by which I mean finishing below 6th. And even then, I suspect that Levy would give him at least the first part of next season to see if he could turn things around.

I see this season as a preparation for the next one. Implementing a new style and trying to find the missing pieces of the puzzle. Levy's previous has been to sack the manager for far more than just missing out by one spot in the league.

I see this season as a preparation for the next one. Implementing a new style and trying to find the missing pieces of the puzzle. Levy's previous has been to sack the manager for far more than just missing out by one spot in the league.

Jord, we can not afford to treat this season as preperation for next. We HAVE to make 4th minimum. Otherwise, we will NOT get the players we want/need either now or in the summer.

Jord, we can not afford to treat this season as preperation for next. We HAVE to make 4th minimum. Otherwise, we will NOT get the players we want/need either now or in the summer.

I don't agree that's how it is. Arsenal buy players all the time that aren't good enough and they ARE in the CL. We just need to be clever and we didn't do too badly this summer.

I don't agree that's how it is. Arsenal buy players all the time that aren't good enough and they ARE in the CL. We just need to be clever and we didn't do too badly this summer.

Watch what happens if they don't qualify this year then...........more dross than you can shake a stick at.

Back