• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

I agree. He is the best header of the ball in the club and will be important against a physical side like them

I hate to say it but they could have folded against Stoke but came out well in the end, they play long ball a lot but can surprise you with some good football, I am going to the match but I am a little anxious.

You know what has occurred to me?

What in the hell has AVB truly proved to warrant people actually wanting him in the first place? Didnt Ramos also do well with Seville and we all know how that turned out.

AVB had one truly great year for him and thats really it - is that really enough? I dont understand why there is all this 'adulation' so to speak for him.

I was never an AVB fan before, I just appreciate a manager who wants to build something up in the long term. I don't think there is so much adulation, rather that there seems to be an awful lot of people who were against his appointment and still are in fact; and a lot of the more reasonable people are highlighting his strong points in an attempt to show that its not all that bad with him. The people who dislike him, whom I'm loathe to call them haters, but are dismissive of him before he's even been given a proper chance with us. Funny enough a lot of these people would want Redknapp back in a flash. Whilst there is nothing to suggest that he will do an amazing job, there is nothing to suggest that he will do a bad job. He is unproven, in the true sense of the word, we need to give him time so he can prove what sort of manager he will be. However people are to blinded by their love for 'Arry to give him the time of day as they "stole his job", and that anyone who failed at Chelsea wouldn't be good enough for us. Any good manager would have left or been sacked given the ego's you have to deal with at Chelsea with Terry, Lampard and Cole, who are a lot to closer to the chairman and hold more influence than any player should do (these guys are even given use of Abramovich's yacht in the summer period). Mourinho left because he had a lot of friction with this group of players as well; in fact AVBs PPG was better than the Di Matteo's/JT/Lampard management team.

Rather than all slate a manager we should give him a chance, I know he does make mistakes and he isn't immune to criticism, but a certain minority of people have been on his back from Day one. I for one am glad that we have a manager that considers himself part of the "We" and Tottenham instead of the "They". After all we've never had it so good Spurs fans?

I was never an AVB fan before, I just appreciate a manager who wants to build something up in the long term. I don't think there is so much adulation, rather that there seems to be an awful lot of people who were against his appointment and still are in fact; and a lot of the more reasonable people are highlighting his strong points in an attempt to show that its not all that bad with him. The people who dislike him, whom I'm loathe to call them haters, but are dismissive of him before he's even been given a proper chance with us. Funny enough a lot of these people would want Redknapp back in a flash. Whilst there is nothing to suggest that he will do an amazing job, there is nothing to suggest that he will do a bad job. He is unproven, in the true sense of the word, we need to give him time so he can prove what sort of manager he will be. However people are to blinded by their love for 'Arry to give him the time of day as they "stole his job", and that anyone who failed at Chelsea wouldn't be good enough for us. Any good manager would have left or been sacked given the ego's you have to deal with at Chelsea with Terry, Lampard and Cole, who are a lot to closer to the chairman and hold more influence than any player should do (these guys are even given use of Abramovich's yacht in the summer period). Mourinho left because he had a lot of friction with this group of players as well; in fact AVBs PPG was better than the Di Matteo's/JT/Lampard management team.

Rather than all slate a manager we should give him a chance, I know he does make mistakes and he isn't immune to criticism, but a certain minority of people have been on his back from Day one. I for one am glad that we have a manager that considers himself part of the "We" and Tottenham instead of the "They". After all we've never had it so good Spurs fans?

Does he? I saw an interview the other day where he kept referring to us as Tottenham rather than including himself as part of Tottenham. Not that it really matters. Whether a Manager has any sort of affinity for a club is irrelevant as long as the results and performances are good.

That it took a Liverpool supporter, incidentally, a supporter from a club that gets stupidly caned on this forum week in week out in that abomination of a thread about 'why I hate Liverpool', is telling.

Frankly, I am getting sick of reading about what AVB is getting wrong all the time. Is he beyond criticism? No. But rare is the moment that many on here come out and talk about what he's doing right!

The spectre of Harry keep on popping up, yet whenever his supporters are asked to perhaps remember he is no longer here, or even challenged with some perfectly decent FACTS about his era, they are shouted down and accused of 'hatred' and 'always being anti' and all SORTS of flimflam.

I have supported this club for roughly 40 conscious years. I have travelled thousands upon thousands of miles and spent more money than I care to consider. I have seen great moments and I have experienced brick eras. But I have never, ever seen a support base so fickle, so edgy and so utterly defensive of a man who left us floundering two seasons in a row, whilst ripping apart every single facet of the new man (who is working his gonad*s off).

I hope I last on this forum long enough to see the AVB era bear consistent fruit. I think not only will it do that, but there will be a structure in place to allow that to happen.

I stayed until the final whistle on Saturday. I applauded them. They looked gutted. They looked very very down. As we all were. But we DID play well, save that 20 mins after the sending off. And at 4-2, the whole atmosphere in the ground was that we could very likely bring it back to 4-4.

It is my opinion that just as we lost 5-2 in February and it signaled a downward spiral, this 5-2 defeat will be the making of the AVB Tottenham Hotspur.

Again, extraordinary that it took a Liverpool supporter to so eloquently say what too many spurs supporters are too ignorant and scared to.

I believe in what Andres Villas Boas is trying to do, and I believe in what the club is trying to build in terms of a proper youth structure, a proper squad structure, and a belief which exceeds the individual brilliance of specific players to make it work. I hold my hand up high and am happy to be counted.

Because in the end, if I 'win', if I'm 'right', then we ALL win and we're ALL right!

COYS

:beer:

This post doesn't surprise me with you being a Redknapp hater an all.

Isn't it funny how all the people who disliked Redknapp are being ultra patient and defensive about AVB?

The last bit just isn't true. People have only been on his back after bad performances. He got a very good reception at the first home game (WBA)

Isn't it funny how all the people who disliked Redknapp are being ultra patient and defensive about AVB?

The last bit just isn't true. People have only been on his back after bad performances. He got a very good reception at the first home game (WBA)

There seems to be a lot of very defensive people on here regarding Redknapp. I've seen a fair few posters now make snide remarks about him or insinuate that AVB isn't being given a chance and it's Redknapp supporters who aren't giving him a chance. I have to say from an outsiders point of view, I have seen little AVB resentment on this forum and the majority of people seem to be supportive of him. In reverse Redknapp seems to be disliked by the majority of posters on this forum.

i don't understand this logic - surely everyone should be patient with the new manager regardless of what they thought of the previous one?

why do you draw a link between the two? what is it about wanting Redknapp out that makes supporting the new manager funny?

I actually find it more telling that several of the people who were at loggerheads with those who wanted Redknapp out seem to be overly critical of everything Villa Boas does and seem to not be giving him much time at all. that would be some not all btw

i don't understand this logic - surely everyone should be patient with the new manager regardless of what they thought of the previous one ?

why do you draw a link between the two? what is it about wanting Redknapp out that makes supporting the new manager funny ?

I actually find it more telling that several of the people who were at loggerheads with those who wanted Redknapp out seem to be overly critical of everything Villa Boas does and seem to not be giving him much time at all. that would be some not all btw

Personally I've always found that a little bit strange. I think Managers earn or lose the right for fans to be patient dependant on team performance. A new Manager is someone who doesn't deserve patience yet but at the same time doesn't deserve to be derided straight away either.

Not that we have much part to play. We all know Levy isn't a patient man so AVB has it all to do. I stand by my comment that if we fail to qualify for the Champion's League this season and by Xmas next year don't look likely to qualify for it that season either then AVB will be gone.

Personally I've always found that a little bit strange. I think Managers earn or lose the right for fans to be patient dependant on team performance. A new Manager is someone who doesn't deserve patience yet but at the same time doesn't deserve to be derided straight away either.

Not that we have much part to play. We all know Levy isn't a patient man so AVB has it all to do. I stand by my comment that if we fail to qualify for the Champion's League this season and by Xmas next year don't look likely to qualify for it that season either then AVB will be gone.

well yeah a manager coming in to a new club should be given a clean slate and then from there you judge him on what he is doing. personally i look at the injury problems and the turnaround of players (which i know you don't quite agree on) we have had since he came in and think that under the circumstances it would be a fools trick to put too much stock in how we have started the season - so i am being patient with what i expect to see from us in these early stages.

with regards to Levy - i think having seen what happened at Chelsea last season it would have been very stupid of him to appoint Villa Boas if he wasn't at least planning on giving him a fair crack of the whip (ie at least 3 windows) - we know Levy will not hang about if he thinks the manager is going in the wrong direction, but why would he appoint a manager who just 'flopped' half a season prior and was sacked 6 months in to his job if he wasn't prepared to give him that time? I just can't see Levy jumping the gun and sacking him - im close to 100% confident that the thought hasn't even crossed his mind

well yeah a manager coming in to a new club should be given a clean slate and then from there you judge him on what he is doing. personally i look at the injury problems and the turnaround of players (which i know you don't quite agree on) we have had since he came in and think that under the circumstances it would be a fools trick to put too much stock in how we have started the season - so i am being patient with what i expect to see from us in these early stages.

with regards to Levy - i think having seen what happened at Chelsea last season it would have been very stupid of him to appoint Villa Boas if he wasn't at least planning on giving him a fair crack of the whip (ie at least 3 windows) - we know Levy will not hang about if he thinks the manager is going in the wrong direction, but why would he appoint a manager who just 'flopped' half a season prior and was sacked 6 months in to his job if he wasn't prepared to give him that time? I just can't see Levy jumping the gun and sacking him - im close to 100% confident that the thought hasn't even crossed his mind

Historical precedent. Hoddle & Levy talked about the five year plan. Did we even get to halfway through that? Jol was young and talented, but two 5th places weren't enough to save him. Ramos lasted less than two seasons despite a League Cup win. Redknapp lasted the longest but paid the price for failing to qualify for the Champion's League last season.

i don't understand this logic - surely everyone should be patient with the new manager regardless of what they thought of the previous one?

why do you draw a link between the two? what is it about wanting Redknapp out that makes supporting the new manager funny?

I think some Spurs are just so glad that Redknapp is gone that they'll put up with bad performances/results for in the short term anyway. Also, a lot of people were ultra critical of the last manager, finding fault more easily than they would with another manager.

As for the last paragraph, I'll give AVB criticism when he deserves it just like any manager, but I agree he needs at least 1 season, if not 2, provided were still in the top 6.

I've never seen any poster insult AVB the way in which some insulted Redknapp: Saggy chops, twitchy etc.

Last edited:
If AVB does not do a good job this season he will be sacked and rightly so. fudge 5 year plans this ain't communist Russia.

Right now he is doing some things right and some things wrong. Results are everything. I feel confident results will change. He is a winner, unlike our last manager.

Historical precedent. Hoddle & Levy talked about the five year plan. Did we even get to halfway through that? Jol was young and talented, but two 5th places weren't enough to save him. Ramos lasted less than two seasons despite a League Cup win. Redknapp lasted the longest but paid the price for failing to qualify for the Champion's League last season.

yes looking back there is a precedent that Im not in any way trying to suggest doesn't exist. I just don't see him appointing a manager that 'flopped' early in to his last job and then getting rid if things don't all click in to place straight away. don't get me wrong AVB will not be given carte blanche to run us in to the ground as a team all in the name of the project - but as long as Levy can see things falling in to place then he will keep him around.

Last edited:
I think some Spurs are just so glad that Redknapp is gone that they'll put up with bad performances/results for in the short term anyway. Also, a lot of people were ultra critical of the last manager, finding fault more easily than they would with another manager.

As for the last paragraph, I'll give AVB criticism when he deserves it just like any manager, but I agree he needs at least 1 season, if not 2, provided were still in the top 6.

I've never seen any poster insult AVB the way in which some insulted Redknapp: Saggy chops, twitchy etc.

different circumstances - Redknapp has been involved in British football for the last 30-40 years almost and over that time people will have gained an impression on him - good or bad (i remember before he managed us he was one opposition staff member you could bet your house on getting dogs abuse from the home fans at WHL) whereas AVB has been around 5 minutes in the grand scheme of things and unless you was a particularly keen follower of Mourinhios back room staff or the Portugese league then you wouldn't really have had much time to form a solid opinion on him on a personal level.

i don't agree with your reasoning on why people are being 'defensive' towards AVB - i think it's just a case of getting behind the new manager and giving him a fresh slate from which to impress (or not as the case may be) and with the circumstances of injuries and loss to key players then harsh critique will be reserved until a fairer time to judge - comparing the criticism a manager of 3 years receives to the that of a newly appointed manager is always going to look uneven

Last edited:

I only started disliking redknapp when he started to not accept responsibility for the our poor form at the end of the season. The crap he was coming out with in Feb about players not caring who the next manager is, then contradicting himself saying players would get unsettled if he didn't have a new contract was ridiculous. The way he took his eye off the ball was unexcusable too. So yes I am a hater, but for good reason due to him being the sole reason for messing up our biggest chance of breaking the sky four.

I keep reading this on this forum. Does anyone have any links from when he was a Spurs stating he wanted to take his family back? The only links I have been able to find are ones where he has said he was happy to stay at Spurs.

Who CARES??? HE HAS GONE!!!! WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP GOING ABOUT HIM?!!!!
Or is it ANOTHER attempt to find a stick to beat AVB with?
It suited BOTH parties and I'm damn sure AVB was looking to build a team around Moutinho. Not that we'd know because the bloke doesn't fudging complain about anything!

rather than everyone harp on about a lovely player who only played 60 mins at a time and disappeared as many times as he showed up, why not discuss the fact that on Saturday, for the first time in 3 years we saw GENUINE ATTEMPT to TACTICALLY SWITCH and chase the game even with 10 men. I believe it is the first time we have gone 3 at the back for a few years...but that's probably far FAR too positive, sorry! (not aimed at you personally push and run, just sick of all the relentless fudging quibbling!)...

Ha ha, really?
Check out these results during Harry's first few months in charge and right after the feel-good 4-4 @ emirates, 2-1 over dippers and 2-1 @ City.

Everton - 0-1
West Ham - 2-0
Man U - 0-0
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - 1-2
West Brom - 0-0
Wigan - 0-1
Pompey - 1-1
Stoke 3-1
Bolton - 2-3
Filth - 0-0

That was a run that went from November 08-mid Feb 09.
No-one complained. No-one bitched and moaned. Everyone knew it would take time.
So please, do you possibly think that Andre Villas Boas deserves at least the level of patience the beloved, much-maligned and never ever appreciated poor old 'Arry got at the beginning of his Spurs career?

There seems to be a lot of very defensive people on here regarding Redknapp. I've seen a fair few posters now make snide remarks about him or insinuate that AVB isn't being given a chance and it's Redknapp supporters who aren't giving him a chance. I have to say from an outsiders point of view, I have seen little AVB resentment on this forum and the majority of people seem to be supportive of him. In reverse Redknapp seems to be disliked by the majority of posters on this forum.

An 'outsider's'...really? You appear to be the reincarnate of former 'regular postee'...

Back