• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

This is really dangerous and a step up from what we have seen from Republicans so far. Democracies die from actions like this.
I think encouraging faithless electors will be the next step from the Trump camp, but I can't see the Republicans standing behind it.

Do you think all these Republicans that still have to work/deal with him are just towing the line but secretly just waiting desperately now for the day they can finally be free of him?
Trump will be gone from politics in a couple of months. They need to stay electable to survive.

I think it's telling that Trump's closest allies are shouting loudly, whilst the party structure are keeping more quiet. I'm sure they'll take the win if Trump could steal it but I don't think they'll kill their careers over him.

Not sure that matters - the courts will have to decide before the electors can vote won't they?
None of the current court cases have any merit and are being dismissed out of hand.

As I understand it they can’t change the method of picking electors after the election has taken place. Only if the result is unclear or a choice was not made (whatever that means) can the state legislators go down this route. As there is no ambiguity with the result anywhere their act would be unconstitutional.
This would wind up in the supreme court, which is obviously Trump's plan, and they would have to rule against a clear election result. And this would need to happen in three states probably. If it got this far the supreme court would be delegitimised, the electoral college not fit for purpose, and the republic would basically be gone. Riots and general nastiness all around henceforth.

Back