• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American high school

This is a great thread. hope it makes classics.

I love some of the questions above
Are the lockers really that massive?
Are the canteens really that cool?

I have a couple.

Does everyone call the basketball coach, coach?
Do you have stands around the outdoor football pitch, normally with cheerleaders?
Are Wedgies reguarly dished out?

Are the lockers really that massive? our lockers where actually really small and would become a mess after just a week or two
Are the canteens really that cool? yes used to live for those things, basically a great chance to really make moves on a girl you had been eyeing in school. Don't know what UK is like but aside from lunch and a few minutes in between each period of class there wasn't much time to really socialize

Does everyone call the basketball coach, coach? yes well it's like that for all sports even if you had them for class we would still call them coach well the kids who played sports at least
Do you have stands around the outdoor football pitch, normally with cheerleaders? yes we did my favorite part was the cheerleaders would make like a tunnel and before the matches they would announce the starting 11 and you ran through the cheerleaders tunnel
Are Wedgies reguarly dished out? sadly yes usually it would be the freshman who got it the worst sort of like an initiation. we also did a thing called smear the queer where we would throw a freshman on the ground and basically just pile on and beat him a little bit good times haha

Last edited:
what you do to the freshman, we pretty much did to the year 7s (first year in secondary school here). Was fun, got one kid in the figure four leg lock, he was crying his eyes out, his fudging wench bag was weighing him down, was funny as fudge

Why don't you have school uniform? Some schools did actually usually the catholic and private schools. I went to a public school where there was no uniform it was great especially when the weather got good and girls got out the short skirts

Are your schools actually really that massive? My school was quite big. I grew up in what you would call upper middle class suburban we had 400 kids in my graduating class so in total approx. 1,500 kids in the school. So yes the building was massive. Usually you got 5 minutes to get from one class to the next and some of the time you were pressing it to get there on time if your classes were on opposite sides of the school. Not to be eerie but my school looked exactly like the school of Columbine where that tragedy took place.

Are your canteens actually really that cool? Answered this above and yes they were a blast especially when we were younger and didn't have cars because it was hard to see girls you wanted to even when you were dating.

How come you get food and drink machines around school and us poor British kids don't? We actually didn't have food machines but we did have pop/water machines

Does saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the national anthem on a daily basis get boring? We did the pledge of allegiance but not the national anthem and it only takes like 30 seconds I guess it just becomes second nature

Do those cool yellow buses actually pick you up from your house? Yes it's funny because as a younger kid you absolutely love the bus but once you get into high school it was embarassing to ride the bus it was admitting you had no cool older friends to drive you

Is the annoying ringy bell actually that important? yes although it usually depended on each teacher some were more relaxed if you were a little late and some were real bitches and would write you up for being even a second late. If you were late a few times you would get a detention where you stayed after school for 30-40 minutes in silence and had to study (this was torture)
Do you really place that much emphasis on your school's sports teams? Our school certainly did we would have pep rally's often during school where the whole school would come to the gymnasium and the band would play team captains would talk etc..

Is being a cheerleader's boyfriend really that amazing? It depends how hot said cheerleader is, but for the most part yes they were all good looking. Playing sports you usually end up dating them because you are together a lot on busses to games, after school for practice they also would cook us dinners the day before a game for basketball and football at least

Is there always that girl who tells the bully to go "pick on someone his own size"? lol not proud to admit I instigated bullying I didn't myself but I was friends with a lot of the american football players who used to torture the hell out of some kids

what you do to the freshman, we pretty much did to the year 7s (first year in secondary school here). Was fun, got one kid in the figure four leg lock, he was crying his eyes out, his fudging wench bag was weighing him down, was funny as fudge

haha figure four nice yeah i used to love that, I never bullied kids to be a dingdonghead like some did more the younger kids you liked and sort of had to earn their stripes...

As far as sports and jocks being cool. Here high school sports is absolutely huge and it really carries a sense of pride for your city/school. In particular american football and basketball. So if you went to a school with 1,500 kids and you were one of 12 on basketball team or 1 of 50 or so on the american football team it was kind of like small time royalty. So naturally everyone would go to games and all the girls want to be able to say hey that's MY boyfriend and wear your jersey etc..

As far as sports and jocks being cool. Here high school sports is absolutely huge and it really carries a sense of pride for your city/school. In particular american football and basketball. So if you went to a school with 1,500 kids and you were one of 12 on basketball team or 1 of 50 or so on the american football team it was kind of like small time royalty. So naturally everyone would go to games and all the girls want to be able to say hey that's MY boyfriend and wear your jersey etc..

Friday night lights is pretty spot on someone told me.

Friday night lights is pretty spot on someone told me.

It really is some areas take their sports even more seriously than others. I think these days it is even more magnified with social media, Internet etc.. like Lebron James for instance went to high school about 20 minutes from me and he was literally a superstar from 9th grade (14 years old) on its no wonder his ego is massive.

Also true there were spots we could go after a game and know they will sell us beer underage or in some cases just give it to you. Get free meals etc.. yeah Friday Night Lights is very realistic

At my school also there was definitely double standards for good athletes. My senior year I was one of our better basketball players and any time I would get in trouble or be late for class I would go see the principal (what you call a head master i think) and he would just give me a talking to and never made me go to detention. You could be with a friend doing something wrong and get in no trouble where if he didn't play sports he would get punished. This is also why some kids hated it and I can see why it isn't very fair

Last edited:
This is a great thread. hope it makes classics.

Are the lockers really that massive?
Are the canteens really that cool?

I have a couple.

Does everyone call the basketball coach, coach?
Do you have stands around the outdoor football pitch, normally with cheerleaders?
Are Wedgies reguarly dished out?

The stands are called bleachers mate :)

What's a valedictorian?

Do students have fights against the lockers?

I'm glad to see this thread has taken off! Some great questions.

What's a valedictorian?

Do students have fights against the lockers?

I'm glad to see this thread has taken off! Some great questions.

Glad I could help I could answer these all day good memories!

Well yes the lockers lined the halls and if there were fights they were usually in the halls between classes or in the lunchroom. They were exciting when they happened but didn't happen too often at my school and even if they did chances of seeing it were slim because the school was so big you really had to be in the right place at the right time. The ones in the lunchroom were the best because you had food and tables/chairs flying everywhere ha. Usually it was the dregs of the school who would fight in school because that is one thing which really was forbidden. If you got in 2 fights chances are you would get kicked out of school.

Valedictorian was the student who had the highest marks or among the highest who gives the farewell speech at graduation ceremony.

My school has like 2100 students, though it has 7 years (about 300 in a year) so yeah American schools must be bigger.

The stands are called bleachers mate :)

And the pitches are called fields ;)

At first I thought this thread was a tinkle-take (I've learned so many British expressions/colloquialisms on this thread), never realized there could've been so much interest in something I thought was so mundane. But yes, as skinhead pointed out, our education system sucks.

Salutatorian is second best.
Lockers are awesome because they give a bit more than walls, so you can really shove someone into one without hurting them too badly. They also make a racket when you do bodycheck into them so it's sure to draw loads of attention.

And the pitches are called fields ;)

At first I thought this thread was a tinkle-take (I've learned so many British expressions/colloquialisms on this thread), never realized there could've been so much interest in something I thought was so mundane. But yes, as skinhead pointed out, our education system sucks.

Salutatorian is second best.
Lockers are awesome because they give a bit more than walls, so you can really shove someone into one without hurting them too badly. They also make a racket when you do bodycheck into them so it's sure to draw loads of attention.

I started the thread as kind of a joke really, but I have genuinely always wondered if high school in the states is similar to how it is portrayed in films, tv etc. Not that I didn't enjoy school, but yours seems much better. I saw a story about a year ago when some NFL player basically stole this bloke's girlfriend, and the jilted guy said "you expect the quarterback to get all the girls in high school/college, but you don't expect them to steal your girl later in life." Just got me wondering if the jocks do really get the hot girls.

My view of American schools has been influenced by growing up watching Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. Our stereotypical American high school can be considered East High School from High School Musical. I have some more questions:

How come Sharpay's locker in High School Musical is pink? Do schools actually let you personalise your lockers that much? There was an old TV programme I used to watch (can't remember which) and in one of the lockers was a TV.
What years are high/middle/elementary schools?
If your lockers use codes, aren't you a bit fudged if you forget your code?
Do you reckon the three slits that are at the top of American lockers are there so that when people are locked in them they can still breathe and see?
When you play dodgeball in PE (gym class) does everyone really go for the nerdy kid?

What you Americans don't understand is that us British kids drool over American high schools and how cool they look in our eyes. We grew up watching American TV hoping our secondary schools would be like them, but to our dismay we learnt they really aren't. Every British kid has pondered over the question of whether your average American high school is actually like how they are portrayed in films, and I think your schools have really influenced how we contrast American life to European life.

Back