• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American high school

Jurgen the German

Tommy Harmer
Maybe the Americans on the board can answer these questions. After watching a lot of American films and tv shows, I've always wondered if high school in the states is similar to the way it is portrayed in pop culture:

Do the quarterbacks/jocks really get all the girls?
Is it as cool as it's made out to be in films/tv?
Do the nerds get bullied mercilessly?
Does everyone get it on after prom?
Do the nerds help tutor the fit girls and get nothing in return?
Are there people like Zach Morris who are constantly coming up with schemes and pranks?
Is high school a blast for the popular kids and hell for the unpopular ones?

+1 for Zach fudging Morris mention!

1_zack_morris.jpeg

I went to public school and some girls managed not to get preggers.

My school was actually really WASPy. Don't think it is a good reflection on high schools in general here, but I thought the jocks always got the girls.

Why don't you have school uniform?
Are your schools actually really that massive?
Are your canteens actually really that cool?
How come you get food and drink machines around school and us poor British kids don't?
Does saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the national anthem on a daily basis get boring?
Do those cool yellow buses actually pick you up from your house?
Is the annoying ringy bell actually that important?
Do you really place that much emphasis on your school's sports teams?
Is being a cheerleader's boyfriend really that amazing?
Is there always that girl who tells the bully to go "pick on someone his own size"?

Do you often get pop quizzes?
Is the Dean a nasty piece of work who just doesn't get what it's like to be a kid?
Single strap or double?
Do the cool kids drive BMWs to school?
At parties, does everyone drink out of oversized cups?

the Mrs was a cheerleader at her high school in California (CA)

bit of mixture of whats been posted tbh - the cheerleaders were a mixture of cool pretty girls and the ones that were good a dance

i remember going to my sister in laws graduation and sitting in the stands (bleachers?) around the Football field - crazy it was at a school, huge sporting facility for "kids"

pretty big school premises

Blatant 'I wish I was Yank' post :)

As for the rest - I'd imagine it being as realistic as depicted in The Simpsons

Last edited:
Maybe the Americans on the board can answer these questions. After watching a lot of American films and tv shows, I've always wondered if high school in the states is similar to the way it is portrayed in pop culture:

Do the quarterbacks/jocks really get all the girls?
Is it as cool as it's made out to be in films/tv?
Do the nerds get bullied mercilessly?
Does everyone get it on after prom?
Are there people like Zach Morris who are constantly coming up with schemes and pranks?
Is high school a blast for the popular kids and hell for the unpopular ones?

The kids who were the best at sports got the good looking girls.
It did seem like Grange Hill at times.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Are your schools actually really that massive?
Are your canteens actually really that cool?
How come you get food and drink machines around school and us poor British kids don't?
Does saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the national anthem on a daily basis get boring?
Is the annoying ringy bell actually that important?
Is there always that girl who tells the bully to go "pick on someone his own size"?

My school was massive.
Our Canteens were cool - we had two.
We had food and drinks machines all around the school, indoor and outdoor.
Saying The Lords Prayer on a daily basis got boring.
You only got picked up by the school bus if you we're special.
We had the annoying ringy bell.
Not always but often.

That's my English school experience...

The kids who were the best at sports got the good looking girls.
It did seem like Grange Hill at times.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

My school was massive.
Our Canteens were cool - we had two.
We had food and drinks machines all around the school, indoor and outdoor.
Saying The Lords Prayer on a daily basis got boring.
You only got picked up by the school bus if you we're special.
We had the annoying ringy bell.
Not always but often.

That's my English school experience...

Right well there's something seriously wrong with my school.

Yes in some places. I lived in a small town in the midwest (about 70k people) and they has fleets of those buses. At 8.15 in the morning you could see several driving through the side streets at the same time. A large proportion of kids used them.

They are less prominent elsewhere. I don't remember seeing them in Philadelphia. In LA they weren't so obvious, either, but I used to cycle past a car park in west LA where they kept them at night so I know they were used, just not sure where or how extensively.

One thing I remember is that they had nasty smelly engines, which probably gave lead poisoning to half the kids. They began phasing them out, but not until severaal generations of future Romney supporters had been created.

This is a great thread. hope it makes classics.

I love some of the questions above
Are the lockers really that massive?
Are the canteens really that cool?

I have a couple.

Does everyone call the basketball coach, coach?
Do you have stands around the outdoor football pitch, normally with cheerleaders?
Are Wedgies reguarly dished out?

did you ever receive a swirly?
did you ever see anyone up the flag pole hanging from their undies?

\Maybe the Americans on the board can answer these questions. After watching a lot of American films and tv shows, I've always wondered if high school in the states is similar to the way it is portrayed in pop culture:

Do the quarterbacks/jocks really get all the girls? yes
Is it as cool as it's made out to be in films/tv? some kids hated high school especially kids who were a little different, at least mine was very cliquey I played sports and was fortunate to be with the in crowd and I loved it
Do the nerds get bullied mercilessly? yes afraid so although personally didn't agree with the bullying
Does everyone get it on after prom? yes
Do the nerds help tutor the fit girls and get nothing in return? yes
Are there people like Zach Morris who are constantly coming up with schemes and pranks? yes
Is high school a blast for the popular kids and hell for the unpopular ones? yes answered above

haha great thread

Back