• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

All or Nothing - spoilers

How do we know Eric’s Portuguese is any better than Jose’s English? Anyway, it’s not a big deal. Just felt a bit jarring / staged given they both speak English, that’s all.
Think it’s fairly common knowledge he’s fluent? He moved there as a young boy and (I believe) went to Portuguese schools.

How do we know Eric’s Portuguese is any better than Jose’s English? Anyway, it’s not a big deal. Just felt a bit jarring / staged given they both speak English, that’s all.

Wasn't there some interview where Jose said he had been trying to learn a bit of Korean recently? He said something about showing respect by learning to speak to each of his players a little bit in their own language. Anyway, who knows? Maybe when Dier entered the room he asked him about his childhood in Portugal etc. and Dier felt more comfortable speaking in Portuguese. We have no idea with the editing etc.
It was also a bit awkward with the Harry and Dele interviews. They obviously spoke for greater length than was shown, I can't imagine Dele just sat there nodding and smiling the entire time. Would be nice to see some more in depth chat but I don't think we will.

Think it’s fairly common knowledge he’s fluent? He moved there as a young boy and (I believe) went to Portuguese schools.
I get that, and very aware of Dier’s Iberian roots, but is his Portuguese any better than Jose’s english?!

As I’ve said, it’s not a big deal, it just seems like another aspect of the programme that was staged. I may well be wrong and if others took positives from it, no issue there.

Wasn't there some interview where Jose said he had been trying to learn a bit of Korean recently? He said something about showing respect by learning to speak to each of his players a little bit in their own language. Anyway, who knows? Maybe when Dier entered the room he asked him about his childhood in Portugal etc. and Dier felt more comfortable speaking in Portuguese. We have no idea with the editing etc.
It was also a bit awkward with the Harry and Dele interviews. They obviously spoke for greater length than was shown, I can't imagine Dele just sat there nodding and smiling the entire time. Would be nice to see some more in depth chat but I don't think we will.
Agreed, Dele didn’t come off well there. I can’t imagine he said basically nothing as the edit implied.

I get that, and very aware of Dier’s Iberian roots, but is his Portuguese any better than Jose’s english?!

As I’ve said, it’s not a big deal, it just seems like another aspect of the programme that was staged. I may well be wrong and if others took positives from it, no issue there.
Yes it is much better, he’s fluent.

Its probably more to do with the fact that Dier is hugely protective of his Portuguese Roots and its a great common point with Jose

Probably goes a fair way to explain they close relationship too

Mourinho was chatting to him in Portuguese when he was tapping him up for Man U too, I don’t think it’s a huge surprise and it’s an understandable method of making a player he obviously rates feel like he has a special relationship with him.

I loved the bit where Jose and his assistants were assessing the squad on the first day or so and they were saying things like Harry is a quiet leader, Jan is a warrior who always wants to play even when injured etc., Then someone says apparently Sissoko is a strong voice in the dressing room and they all looked at each other a bit shocked haha!
Might be my bias but I read that look as "fudge, I was going to drop him."

Another thing I noticed that surprised me actually was Jose constantly saying “your confidence levels have to be better.” I’ve always thought confidence was a result of playing well and almost something that happens to you.

Jose quite clearly thinks it’s something you very much have control of and nothing should happen to you.

I suppose that sort of thing is the difference between a serial winner at the highest level and an overweight forty something office worker.:D

what an amazing experience. a few take outs after episode 1:
- the team is too nice, testosterone levels less than in my church football team
- they played for poch, not the club, poch was an empty shell after the CL final. clueless.
- jose has a big task to restore a winning attitude, self confidence and also to provide a new belief.
- dele lazy - hahaha. he did not learn how to be a pro under poch.
- jose - what a man. i mean reaaaallll man.
- levy - deserves a lot more credit, running the club and moving the stadium is a huge undertaking

Pleasantly surprised by it, was expecting it to be a train wreck. There wasn't too much of note in it, either from a positive or negative point of view.
I would've liked to have seen a bit more about the time under Poch and especially how the dressing room was before and after games.
It probably wouldn't have shed a few people in a positive light and was removed.

Mourinho comes across well, with the right balance of being light-hearted and serious when needed.
Kane is more of a leader than I would've given him credit for.
Dele needs a slap across the head and to be told to grow up.

Might be my bias but I read that look as "fudge, I was going to drop him."

To be fair, if any manager came in without the intention of selling Sissoko ASAP, I'd question his competence - so I don't blame him for seeming a bit stunned by the fact that Moussa is liked by everyone and would presumably be hard to sell for that reason.

Sissoko is a great many good things, but that he's become so indispensable is itself an indictment of our paperweight central midfield, and a long way from the glory days of Wanyama and Dembele.

Loved the reaction of team mates when he 'rose like a salmon at the back post' to volley home that peach of a goal.

I thought it was crafty, if manipulative, editing to show Dele getting the churasco grill treatment from Jose and then responding with some lovely goals next game.

Surprised that, after yanking Dier from the Olympiakos game after 30 mins, they didn't show Jose saying that it wasn't Dier's fault for the 0-2 deficit. Mourinho quickly and loudly croaked a mea culpa on that one, saying he hadn't set up the formation properly. Not a peep on that in the episode.

Another thing I noticed that surprised me actually was Jose constantly saying “your confidence levels have to be better.” I’ve always thought confidence was a result of playing well and almost something that happens to you.

Jose quite clearly thinks it’s something you very much have control of and nothing should happen to you.

I suppose that sort of thing is the difference between a serial winner at the highest level and an overweight forty something office worker.:D

Some people are confident others need help, I've always though Woolwich get players who have a greater degree of belief in themselves than we do, far too many nice guys with us and their lot think they're all world beaters.

Don't forget that during the week, Mou will say something positive and something negative to almost everyone involved... and then the editors will select 5 of the 753 snippets of conversation to make the narrative fly. They cannot show the other 748 snippets

Back