• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

All Hail Martin O'Neill - King of Anti-football

Agree fully with the Sandro/Parker comment.

Disagree about them not being THAT defensive, they were. But it wasn't a surprise and we didn't deal with it well at all.

The reason I say about them not being that defensive it because they were playing a decent high defensive line and were just solid. They let Parker and Sandro have all the possession they wanted around the half way line and marked our more forward 4.

I suppose if you consider them not putting pressure on our center backs when it goes back to them being defensive then I assume I have to agree.

If I'm honest, I don't think we gave them a whole lot to defend against. We just passed it around the center circle a lot

To think I once hoped he'd be next Spurs manager. Today's grotesque display by Sunderland ranks as probably the most nihilistic I have seen - ever.

fudge off MO'N!

Instead of complaining about our lack of a cutting edge you are whinging about Sunderland tactics.

Maybe if we had started with 2 wingers to stretch them or maybe if VDV spent more time in dangerous positions instead of coming deep to pick the ball off our back 4, or maybe......

Maybe if we had started with 2 wingers to stretch them or maybe if VDV spent more time in dangerous positions instead of coming deep to pick the ball off our back 4, or maybe......

Well considering Redknapp had already said there was no way Lennon could play in both games, would you have lined up 4-5-1 at home against Norwich?

Lennon was unfit, and was needed for the game against Norwich. VdV drops deep because that's just what he does, and neither tactical instructions or death threats will persuade him to do otherwise. Next gripe?

Actually he is suppose to be playing just behind Ade, he is ineffective when he drops deep, because he does nothing that Modric cannot do. VDV left Ade too isolated upfront.

Maybe if he cannot take tatical instructions from his manager maybe he should be subbed earlier, or maybe not start at all

Actually it is not a case of Lennon not be fit, Harry said Lennon would only start 1 match this weekend, I thought it makes better sense if he starts the tougher match away from home.

what an absolute two bob **** - nothing to play for with the remaining games for them but all he does is set his team up to stop the opposition from winning, rather than try and excite the home fans by trying to beat one of the top sides - would rather top myself than have that tosser manage the side i support

fudging leprechaun gnome looking brick bag

It's a good point at probably our toughest game in the run-in...have faith...ONeil is a negative ****. Never seen a team sitting on their own halfway line for 25 minutes of the first-half...

Two penalty shouts, you'd usually get one.

Onwards...

Actually he is suppose to be playing just behind Ade, he is ineffective when he drops deep, because he does nothing that Modric cannot do. VDV left Ade too isolated upfront.

Maybe if he cannot take tatical instructions from his manager maybe he should be subbed earlier, or maybe not start at all

Actually it is not a case of Lennon not be fit, Harry said Lennon would only start 1 match this weekend, I thought it makes better sense if he starts the tougher match away from home.

trust me, the priority today was not to lose...with a fit Lennon on Monday, I'd be looking for goals!

The reason I say about them not being that defensive it because they were playing a decent high defensive line and were just solid. They let Parker and Sandro have all the possession they wanted around the half way line and marked our more forward 4.

I suppose if you consider them not putting pressure on our center backs when it goes back to them being defensive then I assume I have to agree.

If I'm honest, I don't think we gave them a whole lot to defend against. We just passed it around the center circle a lot

I have said in other threads that I think Modric, and I would add VdV, really tried. They both came deep to stop the pass it square fest at the back and dart forward. It's just tough to pass through a well organized team with two (attacking) passengers in midfield.

trust me, the priority today was not to lose...with a fit Lennon on Monday, I'd be looking for goals!

This. It was a brick game. We were poor, they were very good at stopping us. Fact is, Sunderland away was our toughest fixture on paper, none of the rest of the teams we play can afford to sit back with a trowel and a tonne of bricks. Five wins will give us what we want.

I agree with this, and it's a good positive. I really wanted us to go for it today, had we gone for it and ended up with a draw I would have been happy. Instead we seemed too careful and scared. But the result is a decent one, we've been a lot better at home than away most of this season and Norwich surely is a game where we'll go for the win. So no reason to think that we won't see a much better, more attacking performance on Monday.

Which is exactly what I said in another thread. That game could have gone worse. Today was a team that didn't want to attack against a team that seemed to have no idea how to attack. The result was a dire dire game where neither keeper, to my memory, actually had to make anything worthy of the word 'save'. We move on, got a good point from our hardest remaining game and hopefully we play better from now on.

what if we had won?

the real issue is how we are not able to get into threatening positions with an element of surprise.

Well considering Redknapp had already said there was no way Lennon could play in both games, would you have lined up 4-5-1 at home against Norwich?

I would prefer to see Niko come in for Parker, and stick Luka back into central midfield in a 4-2-3-1. Whatever you think of Kranjcar in terms of his quality or ability, at least he is the type of player who excels against teams who park the bus (IMO).

I also think Livermore is more positive in possession than Parker or Sandro, so would at least prefer to see him playing if Luka is playing further forward as he was today.

I don't mind VDV dropping deep if he's playing in the hole and we have three other attacking players, as long as one of the central midfielders then moves into the space that he vacates. I think movement and players swapping positions is almost always a positive thing. But in the system we were playing today, in which we already have three central midfielders and he is the nominal right-midfielder, him dropping deep is so counterproductive. I'd love to know what Harry thinks about this, and if he ever asks VDV not to!

Back