• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adele - Yiddo!!

She became popular because a record label liked what they saw on a music hosting website and invested heavily, in recording the music but the majority of the money being on marketing. The music alone is not what made the record label decide to offer a contract, jobs in these record labels are won or lost over whether they make money on an artist they decide to invest in so everything has to be considered to achieve a high success rate with artists/bands with the current struggles in the music industry.

Therefore when considering signing an artist they have to look at the entire package. Her voice is obviously important, her songs are important as well. Her looks are also important, in terms of how they work alongside the subject matter of her songs other wise you get a cognitive dissonance which wouldn't be appealling to the demographic they are aiming for.

If Public Enemy sang songs about the struggles of a relationship ending and being a bit lonely, they wouldn't have been as successful as they are. If Adele sang songs about civil rights which a key focus on young African American's struggles, she wouldn't have been as successful she has been. This is because the appearance just doesn't fit.

Being young and Black helps sell more records if you're singing about young black people's struggles.

Being female, white and overwieght sells more records if you're singing about being broken up with and feeling lonely

Therefore a key part of Adele's success is her appearance, and most people (especially in terms of your standard female pop singer) would consider her to be ever so slightly rotund.

I'm not going to attempt to proclaim how much of her success is down to her weight, there is no objective measurement of such a thing, but to suggest her appearance has nothing to do with her success is incorrect.

In your opinion.

7-1 = a royal bumming fella.

Debate = lost

Move on! :)

:ross:

Democratic debate my arse! How many people voted Hitler for fudge sake!?

I don't even dislike Adele, but it has been interesting getting people's views of the music industry and stuff. If you do genuinely think Adele is successful because of word of mouth then that's your right to believe that

But that's not going to stop me doing a celebratory dance

celebrate.gif

*Smug gif only an immature response to the "owned" comment on the other thread, but probably still a dingdong move nonetheless

Ah no I'm the one in the back right, it's a new frock I bought specifically to make the Arsenal OMT look better in comparison. Unfortunately the plans backfired as a picture of that frock would have given us more chance of a win then whatever the fudge DFS has posted ;)

I'd never heard of her before they played her on the radio (I don't really stay up to date on what's popular anyway), but I have to change the channel whenever she comes on because that one song they usually play is annoying as hell. Powerful voice though.

I don't get people who don't like Adele, she is very likeable and very talented and a Yid.

But her music is so damn overplayed, especially that Rolling In The Deep song. Good on her that a yid is selling millions of albums and winning brick loads of awards, but she's just another MOR female singer in my opinion.

I think many songs are often destroyed by being played ever 14 minutes in repeat for a month. That is the trouble with pop music, which every now and then actually produces decent tunes

Ah no I'm the one in the back right, it's a new frock I bought specifically to make the Arsenal OMT look better in comparison. Unfortunately the plans backfired as a picture of that frock would have given us more chance of a win then whatever the fudge DFS has posted ;)

8)

I am firmly in Leeds & Moonlit Knights camp on this one.
I do not personally own an Adele record but i think she is extremely talented & has a great voice.
Recently i saw (for the first time) the video of when she debuted 'someone lke you' on Later with Jools Holland & i have to say i thought i was fudging incredible.
The fact that she is a Yiddette makes me like here even more. I may even make the effort to buy 40 (19 & 21)

I remember when Adele got her first break on TV with Jools Holland. Before she had even had her first hit Hometown Glory

Jools Holland knows where its at. I respect his opinion. IMO Holland would be a very decent judge on the voice that coming soon. He tinkles all over Cowell IMO.

[video=youtube;4Q_z2WkSKTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_z2WkSKTc[/video]

Jools Holland even had Jessie J on before anyone else.

I am firmly in Leeds & Moonlit Knights camp on this one.
I do not personally own an Adele record but i think she is extremely talented & has a great voice.
Recently i saw (for the first time) the video of when she debuted 'someone lke you' on Later with Jools Holland & i have to say i thought i was fudging incredible.
The fact that she is a Yiddette makes me like here even more. I may even make the effort to buy 40 (19 & 21)

Totally agree, Brits O2 arena aside, she has had some amazing performances on Jools Holland.

It guts me greatly that she is taking a 5 year break. Not fair. She is IMO one of the most talented people us Brits have produced in the last 20 years.

Very few people have the lot, Presence, Voice and writing ability. Your lucky if you have two... your special if you have all three.

She became popular because a record label liked what they saw on a music hosting website which she most likely was exhibiting demo tracks which she had funded herself, and invested heavily, in recording the music to a professional standard with hired guns like Rick Rubin to shape the music to what he considered would bring the most success to the label he works for.

But the majority of the money being on marketing. The music alone is not what made the record label decide to offer a contract, jobs in these record labels are won or lost over whether they make money on an artist they decide to invest in so everything has to be considered to achieve a high success rate with artists/bands with the current struggles in the music industry.

Therefore when considering signing an artist they have to look at the entire package. Her voice is obviously important, her songs are important as well. Her looks are also important, in terms of how they work alongside the subject matter of her songs other wise you get a cognitive dissonance which wouldn't be appealling to the demographic they are aiming for.

If Public Enemy sang songs about the struggles of a relationship ending and being a bit lonely, they wouldn't have been as successful as they are. If Adele sang songs about civil rights which a key focus on young African American's struggles, she wouldn't have been as successful she has been. This is because the appearance just doesn't fit.

Being young and Black helps sell more records if you're singing about young black people's struggles.

Being female, white and overwieght sells more records if you're singing about being broken up with and feeling lonely

Therefore a key part of Adele's success is her appearance, and most people (especially in terms of your standard female pop singer) would consider her to be ever so slightly rotund.

I'm not going to attempt to proclaim how much of her success is down to her weight, there is no objective measurement of such a thing, but to suggest her appearance has nothing to do with her success is incorrect.

Michelle McManus.

Arguably had the biggest backing anyone new to the industry could have when she won Pop Idol. Sang songs simalar to Adele. Failed.

Adele's works because mainly the songs are her own and everyone recognises the pain, not because she is fat.

I would also like to point out that alot of credit should also be aimed at the Brit School for unearthing exciting talent

Adele
Amy Winehouse
Jessie J
Kate Nash
Katy B
Katie Melua
Leona Lewis
Noisettes
Rizzle Kicks
The Feeling
The Kooks

Back