• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adele - Yiddo!!

Do you believe in Santa Claus too?! Or would you prefer that all female singers were like Rihanna & Pixie Lott (lithe, dumb and brick without some electronic autotune device)?

I really do hate this fudging ridiculous FHM style fabricated world we live in.

I don't listen to Rhianna and Pixie Lott. And I have no problem with female singers that are of the larger variety, I wouldn't call Aretha Franklin or Etta James slim by any means. And as for autotune you're being naive if you don't think Adele has ever benefitted from the use of it.

But it's clear the way Adele has been marketed, wheras Franklin and James just had real fudging good voices and that's what made it work for them.

I don't know what FHM has to do with my post but so please explain or you might want to wind your neck in a bit.

Rick Rubin used to be cool, but I guess this stuff is what will make him the most money.

Most artists are on myspace/soundcloud/facebook before they get signed up, what difference does that make?

XL recordings picked her up after a mate reccomended her to them. Then went on to Columbia

You don't think Adele is/has been marketed?

Edit: If she'd done what Arctic Monkeys or Lily Allen had I'd see what you mean, getting major commercial success whilst remaining unsigned but she hasn't done this.

Edit edit: A quick check and I'm actually wrong about Lilly Allen, but not about Arctic Monkeys, although they did sign eventually.

Last edited:
i don't think Adele's marketing has played on the fact she is a big girl, it just get's lots of attention - what with the modern obsession with 'celebrity'

What's your point?

Franklin wasn't 'marketed' by Motown??

Whats my point? My point was in the first post, you're the one saying I don't have a clue whilst not having an understanding of the music business.

Of course Aretha was, but not to as much of an extent in my opinion. To actually get a subjective measurement of that is pretty unlikely but Aretha was more about women as a whole, and also civil rights I guess, as opposed to just being aimed at the curvy females.

I don't have a problem with the marketing really, as Arcy says, there'll always be a large market for this kind of stuff, well done to the folks who've picked her up and used her to fill it. Too many possible fat puns to chose from there, I'll just leave it be :)

Most artists are on myspace/soundcloud/facebook before they get signed up, what difference does that make?

XL recordings picked her up after a mate reccomended her to them. Then went on to Columbia

You don't think Adele is/has been marketed?

Edit: If she'd done what Arctic Monkeys or Lily Allen had I'd see what you mean, getting major commercial success whilst remaining unsigned but she hasn't done this.

Edit edit: A quick check and I'm actually wrong about Lilly Allen, but not about Arctic Monkeys, although they did sign eventually.

Name 5 who have been successful please, I can think of OK GO and they are brick.

Adele has become a massive star despite the fact she is a munter not because of it.

Hometown glory is one of the best songs written in the last 10 years in my opinion and she wrote and scored it at 19.

Her voice may not be to everyones taste but to suggest she is just a massive marketing ploy is just nuts.

Name 5 who have been successful please, I can think of OK GO and they are brick.

Adele has become a massive star despite the fact she is a munter not because of it.

Hometown glory is one of the best songs written in the last 10 years in my opinion and she wrote and scored it at 19.

Her voice may not be to everyones taste but to suggest she is just a massive marketing ploy is just nuts.

I'm confused, most bands/artists in recent times use myspace or other media hosting websites before they get signed to get their music out there. It's like a calling card to any propective labels.

I can't comment on your opinion on hometown glory, fair enough.

You say despite, I think otherwise. I couldn't put an objective measurement on how much, such a measurement does not exist unfortunately.

Where have I suggested she is just a massive marketing ploy? Should I do you a favour and fetch some straw for your next man?

What's your point?

Franklin wasn't 'marketed' by Motown??

Forget it mate, you're wasting your time. There hasn't been an artist on the planet who wasn't marketed at some point. Even the Punk bands were marketed.

I guess he also isn't aware of talent scouting.

The main thing is she WRITES HER OWN MUSIC. To say she is only popular because she is fat is fudging ridiculous. If that was the case then they'd be more larger singers than there are. She has flown in the face of what the music moguls (if you can call clams like Simon Cowell a "music" mogul) and we have someone who is successful due to their talent and NOT because they look good and are then trained to "sing".

I'm confused, most bands/artists in recent times use myspace or other media hosting websites before they get signed to get their music out there. It's like a calling card to any propective labels.

You say despite, I think otherwise. I couldn't put an objective measurement on how much, such a measurement does not exist unfortunately.

Where have I suggested she is just a massive marketing ploy? Should I do you a favour and fetch some straw for your next man?

Your own words: I'm a firm believer in that if she wasn't the size she is, she wouldn't be successful.

And you've also said she is marketed. So she's only successful because she's marketed and fat. What a load of gonad*s.

Id still like to see some examples of succesful bands found on myspace/youtube etc..

As far as straw goes I think you have plenty to spare from the one you have created in this thread alone so dont bother fetching any more.

8 Grammys is just a sympathy vote because she is fat and well marketed I suppose.

Forget it mate, you're wasting your time. There hasn't been an artist on the planet who wasn't marketed at some point. Even the Punk bands were marketed.

I guess he also isn't aware of talent scouting.

The main thing is she WRITES HER OWN MUSIC. To say she is only popular because she is fat is fudging ridiculous. If that was the case then they'd be more larger singers than there are. She has flown in the face of what the music moguls (if you can call clams like Simon Cowell a "music" mogul) and we have someone who is successful due to their talent and NOT because they look good and are then trained to "sing".

What were you talking about when you referred to the FHM world, that post didn't make sense to me.

Id still like to see some examples of succesful bands found on myspace/youtube etc..

As far as straw goes I think you have plenty to spare from the one you have created in this thread alone so dont bother fetching any more.

8 Grammys is just a sympathy vote because she is fat and well marketed I suppose.

Some examples of bands found on myspace and youtube?

I don't understand your question. In recent times most bands starting out will have a myspace or similar media broadcasting website, often to show demos off in the hope of being picked up by a major label to be able to record full albums mainly funded by that label. The majority of funds with todays record labels aren't actually spent on the recording mixing and mastering of the album, the majority of it will go to marketing. A and R men of old have gone, most of it is done online now, scouring through the thousands of artists adding content to various sites and picking up the best of the bunch. Please explain what you don't understand here.

To me the key part of Adele's songs is that she is the victim, the one that's been hard done by in a relationship and suffered, the fact that she's a bit pudgy helps this image in my opinion, makes you buy in to the victim thing a bit more than some pencil thin attitudey chick. I'm not trying to say that is the only reason she is famous, she has a good voice yes, but there are plenty of people with good voices, it really is marketing that has got her the 8 grammys but thats the done thing nowadays and I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just how the industry is, if this stuff works for you and makes you happy then that's great, means their doing their job right.

That Brits performance with James Corden blubbing afterwards, not a little part of you thinks that was a bit convenient? If it wasn't for marketing you wouldn't have heard of her and neither would I, so 8 grammys for being fat and well marketed is entirely correct.

Leeds, what do you think of James Morrison - I think he's the male equivalent as far as writing and singing goes (pop music). Or J. Cullum for that matter whose music, I love

So - in this thread everyone agrees that Adele has attained success via word of mouth, writing her own material, having a great voice and then she went viral.

Now - having a record contract means she's a product of Simon Cowell's deepest desires?? Give me a break.

IN terms of a democratic debate, if 1 person says something and 6 people say another, it is generally considered that they lost the debate.

Not in Spurspinter1's world! :)

In the FHM world we live in, I would argue that Adele has to have far more talented to succeed to make up for the fact that millions of pre-pubescent boys aren't going to be sticking here poster on their bedroom walls as she is not so blessed in the looks department. She has an amazing voice, and doesn't need any of the artificial aids used by less talented but more FHM friendly female singers. Wasn't sure about her until my wife forced me to watch the show she did last year at the Albert Hall where she was fantastic in terms of the performance.

She became popular because a record label liked what they saw on a music hosting website which she most likely was exhibiting demo tracks which she had funded herself, and invested heavily, in recording the music to a professional standard with hired guns like Rick Rubin to shape the music to what he considered would bring the most success to the label he works for.

But the majority of the money being on marketing. The music alone is not what made the record label decide to offer a contract, jobs in these record labels are won or lost over whether they make money on an artist they decide to invest in so everything has to be considered to achieve a high success rate with artists/bands with the current struggles in the music industry.

Therefore when considering signing an artist they have to look at the entire package. Her voice is obviously important, her songs are important as well. Her looks are also important, in terms of how they work alongside the subject matter of her songs other wise you get a cognitive dissonance which wouldn't be appealling to the demographic they are aiming for.

If Public Enemy sang songs about the struggles of a relationship ending and being a bit lonely, they wouldn't have been as successful as they are. If Adele sang songs about civil rights which a key focus on young African American's struggles, she wouldn't have been as successful she has been. This is because the appearance just doesn't fit.

Being young and Black helps sell more records if you're singing about young black people's struggles.

Being female, white and overwieght sells more records if you're singing about being broken up with and feeling lonely

Therefore a key part of Adele's success is her appearance, and most people (especially in terms of your standard female pop singer) would consider her to be ever so slightly rotund.

I'm not going to attempt to proclaim how much of her success is down to her weight, there is no objective measurement of such a thing, but to suggest her appearance has nothing to do with her success is incorrect.

Last edited:
Breathtaking show.

And she's getting brick today for giving the finger last night and her 'uncouth' accent and behaviour. People suggesting media training!!

FFS - that is who she is, a fat lass from NORF LANDAN innit!!

Back