• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adama Traore

Just doesn’t seem like a big need when we already have Son, Moura, Bergwijn and Gil. And have much bigger needs at striker, midfielder, and arguably CB and/or RB.

Truth of the matter is many made their mind up on Traore a long time ago. And they can't revise their opinion :) Yes he can't finish or pass as well as he should. But he brings something very few players can. He can pull a defence out of position. He can beat a man for fun, and personally I think he could work on his finishing and develop an ability to cut in from the left-wing and finish on his right foot. When teams show him down the wing, forwards need to be ready for a cut back from him. This is not rocket science. The hard part is what he is naturally good at - beating a man and making room for a shot or a pass.

I wanted him when villa were relegated as an alternative to NKoudu and GNK and then again when we missed out on Mane and Poch wanted someone to "punch through" a defense (we ended up with Sissoko!). Most couldn't see any talent calling him a sprinter :) which I couldn't understand as he clearly has a unique ability. Its not polished, and his end product needs improvement which should come from him actually slowing down a little, but his talent is undeniable.

I'm not a huge fan simply because lack of end product is what typically separates the good from the great.

If I was to take emotion out of it, and say "how would we use this guy"?
- The answer has to be to create space and make the team heavily focused on pace/counter (direction we seem to be heading anyway)
- If he could pull 2-3 players out to cover him as he seems to against us, giving Kane/Son that space could be deadly
- It would likely be the end of the 4-3-3, I'd see a more classic 4-4-2 (Kane/Son up top, two actual wingers in midfield with Traore & Bergwijn)
- Could be funny to start a game with Bergwijn/Traore and after 65 minutes bring on Gil and Lucas to run at exhausted defences.

So if it's Traore, that must mean we are certain on keeping Kane. (If indeed it is an either/or - Traore v striker)
Or is it all a smokescreen to flush out the big bid from City?

Basically the commentary now
- Kane stays
- We want a top striker to partner but none of the deals are panning out
- Play Son as an actual 2nd striker
- With Son Kane central, go with Bergwijn/Traore as actual wingers (Assuming 4-4-2)
- your bench then becomes Lucas, Gil, Dele

Basically the commentary now
- Kane stays
- We want a top striker to partner but none of the deals are panning out
- Play Son as an actual 2nd striker
- With Son Kane central, go with Bergwijn/Traore as actual wingers (Assuming 4-4-2)
- your bench then becomes Lucas, Gil, Dele

Agree although its not clear if Lucas or Bergwijn would start. Could rotate them.

Truth of the matter is many made their mind up on Traore a long time ago. And they can't revise their opinion :) Yes he can't finish or pass as well as he should. But he brings something very few players can. He can pull a defence out of position. He can beat a man for fun, and personally I think he could work on his finishing and develop an ability to cut in from the left-wing and finish on his right foot. When teams show him down the wing, forwards need to be ready for a cut back from him. This is not rocket science. The hard part is what he is naturally good at - beating a man and making room for a shot or a pass.

I wanted him when villa were relegated as an alternative to NKoudu and GNK and then again when we missed out on Mane and Poch wanted someone to "punch through" a defense (we ended up with Sissoko!). Most couldn't see any talent calling him a sprinter :) which I couldn't understand as he clearly has a unique ability. Its not polished, and his end product needs improvement which should come from him actually slowing down a little, but his talent is undeniable.
I wanted him then
The price then was much more relevant for a raw pacey winger with no end product
The price now is reflective of an end product player… he doesn’t have that
£40m for a guy that needs to improve with the actual football is quite a lot IMO

So if it's Traore, that must mean we are certain on keeping Kane. (If indeed it is an either/or - Traore v striker)
Or is it all a smokescreen to flush out the big bid from City?

With Kane, Son, Bergwijn, GIl and Moura we only need 1 more attacker. Question then is whether Son plays more in the middle, in which case we sign a RW, or he plays more out wide, in which case we sign a CF

gotta get rid of moura or bergwjin for traore.
meanacing random runs towards goal causes disarray for the opponent's defence, but you only need one per game!

gotta get rid of moura or bergwjin for traore.
meanacing random runs towards goal causes disarray for the opponent's defence, but you only need one per game!

I'd say it's two wingers in the game
Bergwijn/Gil on one side, Traore/Lucas on the other.
Two for each position, no need to get rid of anyone.

Serious question:
Are there any examples at all of good teams that have effectively used an elite dribbler, with otherwise poor skills to create space and opportunities to the better forwards? I can't think of any.

Not sure there are many elite dribblers in the modern game.

Maybe a reference for us to think about was Bale/Lennon type combination?

Both of them could pass and finish though

what I will say is saw a highlights reel from yesterday’s game abs he did spread the ball across the pitch much better than I realised
It was when he was shooting or passing to create a goal he was poor

Lennon was the thought which sprang to my mind. Going further back, Lee Sharpe and Kanchelskis were a lot more pace than skill...and I think a lot of people on here are under-estimating Traore's ability too, particularly as he played on the left yesterday, despite being right footed, meaning his crosses were poorer

Lennon was the thought which sprang to my mind. Going further back, Lee Sharpe and Kanchelskis were a lot more pace than skill...and I think a lot of people on here are under-estimating Traore's ability too, particularly as he played on the left yesterday, despite being right footed, meaning his crosses were poorer
But… that is his norm
He can’t pass very well
He can’t shoot very well either
What he can do is run with a ball better than anyone in the league other than maybe grealish
He also wins loads of fouls and that is a good thing if we can use the set pieces
His ball control too is actually very good.

But… that is his norm
He can’t pass very well
He can’t shoot very well either
What he can do is run with a ball better than anyone in the league other than maybe grealish
He also wins loads of fouls and that is a good thing if we can use the set pieces
His ball control too is actually very good.

My preference would be to sign a CF

We have 3 wide men in Gil, Moura and Bergwijn plus Son who plays there
We have 1 CF in Kane, plus Son who can play there

If we're playing 4-3-3, I think another CF gives us better depth than another wide man

Back