• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2019/20 Priorities

There's been a few posts on this so it's not a rare view by the looks of it, and I don't think either side will budge on the debate but I just can't comprehend this cups don't matter viewpoint.

Seems a defense mechanism to me, like for the guy who tried it on with every girl in the place and left with no one saying "didn't want a fudge anyway" but I appreciate that won't stand for those who genuinely didn't give a toss on the occasions that we did win something, maybe in the same boat to the new fathers out there idly scrolling facebook whilst their missus is giving birth.
Cups mattered a LOT more last century.
I’d like to win a cup but far more important is ‘staying relevant’ I.e. CL status and money as we build ourselves into a Giant football club, feared across Europe

PL >>> CL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LC >>> FAC

There's been a few posts on this so it's not a rare view by the looks of it, and I don't think either side will budge on the debate but I just can't comprehend this cups don't matter viewpoint.

Seems a defense mechanism to me, like for the guy who tried it on with every girl in the place and left with no one saying "didn't want a fudge anyway" but I appreciate that won't stand for those who genuinely didn't give a toss on the occasions that we did win something, maybe in the same boat to the new fathers out there idly scrolling facebook whilst their missus is giving birth.
Not really. Reality is in the domestic cups practically all PL clubs plus many in the Championship routinely field kids and squad players - often all the way up to the semis, if not the finals themselves, devaluing both.

Cups mattered a LOT more last century.
I’d like to win a cup but far more important is ‘staying relevant’ I.e. CL status and money as we build ourselves into a Giant football club, feared across Europe

They may matter less to you but there are still those that consider it an achievement to finish as the winners of a competition, I don't know a better phrase for it but I really want to stress the idea of entering something* that many others also enter, and the conclusion of this spectacle is that we have proven to be the best of all of those who have joined. I don't think you can be considered a giant football club without doing what I mentioned.

*Something not pre-season tournament before someone goes there...

PL >>> CL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LC >>> FAC

Not really
. Reality is in the domestic cups practically all PL clubs plus many in the Championship routinely field kids and squad players - often all the way up to the semis, if not the finals themselves, devaluing both.

It really does seem like a defense mechanism to me..Are you trying to suggest I don't know my own viewpoint? ..... As for the second point, I don't think a rigid 1st XI exists for any given game exists and like younger talents being brought through (particularly in our case) and there's a point re a feeling of achievement having come top in something as I've explained above. I'm uncertain of if you're saying you'd rather see every team run their supposed best players in to the ground producing dreadful games of football / a brick ton of injuries would make it more glorious to win something.

It really does seem like a defense mechanism to me..Are you trying to suggest I don't know my own viewpoint? ..... As for the second point, I don't think a rigid 1st XI exists for any given game exists and like younger talents being bought through (particularly in our case) and there's a point re a feeling of achievement having come top in something as I've explained above. I'm uncertain of if you're saying you'd rather see every team run their supposed best players in to the ground producing dreadful games of football / a brick ton of injuries would make it more glorious to win something.
Absolutely. How else do you explain why gates are generally so much lower for cup games?

Absolutely. How else do you explain why gates are generally so much lower for cup games?

Haha okay, so let's be clear, feel free to offer points that go against what I've written as I do like to take them on board (if pertinent) but my question was a joke, in a slightly different way to the manner your most recent is but still, thanks hun, after carefully considering what my opinion is, surprisingly it would appear that they were the views that I posted.

Pretty much mate. Think we’d all be ecstatic if we won a trophy this season. All very well saving the other trophies don’t matter but the other teams in the top 6 all challenge for the top 4 AND win trophies even when they have bad seasons so why should we be different? Or act like it’s beneath us. United, arsenal and Chelsea have bad seasons but still nick trophies.

Also, winning is a habit. Winning the CL or premier league is going to be tough without any other recent history or winning cups so draw from.

Also, winning is a habit. Winning the CL or premier league is going to be tough without any other recent history or winning cups so draw from.

Absolutely this. We seem to have a strange habit of freezing up in semi-finals and finals, failing at the death. Alli even called it out himself after our latest loss in the FA Cup semi in 17/18 - 'we can't keep doing this'.

This team needs to win something, to get the feeling of winning in them. Not just winning individual games or knockout ties - going all the way, and winning something tangible.

They need to win. We need to win, as a club, to start rebuilding after twenty barren years with one motherfudging League Cup to show for it.

In some ways we’ve been a victim of our own success, if we went out of all cups early we could give the league our full attention and have a big advantage, a la Chelsea and Leicester when they won it.

CL qualification is a priority for the club, if we fail to get top 4 then our reduced transfer budget and players CL incentived wages would have a negative impact on the following season.

I think we have has much chance of winning the CL as a domestic cup. Domestically we potentially have derby games which are played at a higher intensity regardless of setting and we would still need to beat at least one if not two of City Liverpool and Chelsea.

However the difference between 4th and 2nd, even with the prize / CL allocations would be dwarfed by picking up any silverware imo. As long as we got CL I’d take finishing below Goons for a trophy too.

The other thing that slightly annoys me is winning the Europa offers a better prize than coming 4th, CL and a trophy! I’d like to think we would have a better chance of winning that then an FA cup!!

On a personal note I’m looking forward to seeing more passion and hopefully positivity now we are back at the Lane. It may have been my attendance at Wembley that earned me the points to get over the line for CL tickets but it really became a chore with everything hinging on the result as opposed to the experience. Even as someone who prefers to expect little and have low expectations bettered I do feel not enough has been made of the benefit playing at home again and having a rested squad, with some key players being either available / match sharp / fully fit / playing in their best positions. I think Rose and Toby will still be focussed regardless of their contractual situations, more concerned about Eriksen but if he doesn’t sign then I think at least it’s a binary situation of it being his last season with us. Right back remains the position where I’m not sure we have one player of sufficient quality let alone two.

Last edited:
good news for the pot 2 club that gets them though, two easier match ups than they would have got otherwise

Real have shown to be the biggest club you concentrate on the Champions League.

In the 7 seasons Modric spent at Real. He won 1 league title, 1 Spanish Cup but 5 Champions League.

Back to us. Do you think the players that now want to join us after getting to the CL final would be interested if instead we had won both the FA and League Cup.

In what order would you prioritise the four competitions that we are in this season. Everything and/or every game at a time not accepted.

For me

1. Premier League
2. Champions League
3. FA Cup
4. League Cup

Same here. I have to say though, if we're in the semi of say the fa cup i don't want us to play the kids just because they've played in the cup up to that point. From the semi onwards, any cup we're in should be a priority.

Same here. I have to say though, if we're in the semi of say the fa cup i don't want us to play the kids just because they've played in the cup up to that point. From the semi onwards, any cup we're in should be a priority.

Absolutely. I meant priorities at the start of the season, obviously, this changes based on results.

And Lloris!

Back