• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015 Africa Cup of Nations

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
The venue for next year’s African Cup of Nations finals is in major doubt after proposed hosts Morocco reportedly withdrew due to fears over the Ebola outbreak on the continent.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) last week received a letter from the Moroccan government last week asking for the tournament to be called off and had agreed to discuss the plans at the next executive committee meeting on 2 November. The prospective hosts proposed either postponing the tournament until next year or allowing them to switch to the 2017 edition instead.

However, African website supersport.com quoted a source from the country’s Ministry of Sport on Thursday who claimed the Morocco has now officially withdrawn in order to “preserve the safety of our citizens”.

“Since CAF rejected all our requests and suggestions then we are forced to withdraw from hosting Afcon 2015 with immediate effect to preserve the safety of our citizens and for that we are prepared to take any consequences that comes with our actions,” said the source.

Moroccan sports minister Mohammed Ouzzine was quoted earlier in the week saying they were considering what action to take if CAF continued to refuse their request to postpone the tournament.

“We’ve arranged to meet up and discuss the technical options connected to this demand for a postponement,” he said. “This demand is motivated essentially by the last report from the World Health Organisation, which contained alarming numbers at the extent and spread of the virus.

“All that means we are facing a historic responsibility. We understand CAF’s difficulty, but that said, never in history has there been such an Ebola epidemic.”

2013 hosts South Africa are now tipped to take over after reports that the country’s Football Assoiciation were already in negotiations with Caf, although Sudan and Egypt have also expressed an interest in hosting the tournament.

Morocco’s withdrawal is likely to lead to sanctions from the governing body, with potential punishments including the suspension of their national teams and clubs.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/16/morocco-africa-cup-of-nations-ebola-withdraw

Re: The 2015 African Cup of Nations

How long till the media over here jump on this and start asking for England to be made hosts? Would be quite good actually seeing England at last reaching another final only to be out done by Botswana.

Anyway, isn't this tournament becoming an almost yearly thing? Why do they need so many of them?!

How long till the media over here jump on this and start asking for England to be made hosts? Would be quite good actually seeing England at last reaching another final only to be out done by Botswana.

Anyway, isn't this tournament becoming an almost yearly thing? Why do they need so many of them?!

It's every two years but yeah it is a pain in the ****, especially as it's in the middle of the season.

They recently shifted the year to an even year number schedule. They had two in successive years (2012 & 2013) to make the switch, which it is why it seems to be every year recently.

Morocco asked to postpone it for a year and have thus been kicked out.

B2Laz8nCIAEq3M4.jpg

Morocco asked to postpone it for a year and have thus been kicked out.

B2Laz8nCIAEq3M4.jpg

Kicked out? Bit of an excessive thing to do isn't it? I doubt this tournament will spread Ebola but considering the fear factor and the severe global criticism a country would face if it was to spread because of hosting it I doubt many nations will be jumping at the chance to host it.

Kicked out? Bit of an excessive thing to do isn't it? I doubt this tournament will spread Ebola but considering the fear factor and the severe global criticism a country would face if it was to spread because of hosting it I doubt many nations will be jumping at the chance to host it.

I don't think that there was any choice when they pulled out of hosting the tournament two months before it was due to kick off.

They didn't have to say they were kicked out, though. If someone else is host, then Morocco won't have qualified. It could give someone a second chance to get in the tournament as host or there is an extra spot. I can't see anyone wanting the team who has caused the trouble by reneging on being hosts should be given this extra spot.

It really is a bit of a mess. There is no rational reason for their withdrawal. It doesn't even look as if the teams from the Ebola-infected countries will qualify. Is it really just a bad case of panic or is there some other reason Morocco wanted out?

I assume Morocco will be banned from the next tournament or two. Just missing this one is hardly a punishment.

They didn't have to say they were kicked out, though. If someone else is host, then Morocco won't have qualified. It could give someone a second chance to get in the tournament as host or there is an extra spot. I can't see anyone wanting the team who has caused the trouble by reneging on being hosts should be given this extra spot.

It really is a bit of a mess. There is no rational reason for their withdrawal. It doesn't even look as if the teams from the Ebola-infected countries will qualify. Is it really just a bad case of panic or is there some other reason Morocco wanted out?

I assume Morocco will be banned from the next tournament or two. Just missing this one is hardly a punishment.
I agree

Probably a PR exercise to ensure tourist rates stay high. Whether justified or not, there's a lot of western fear over Ebola and it wouldn't take much to ruin their tourist trade.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Too often our responses over perceived threats are more to reassure the public than remove the threat. Even better if they help a vested interests (e.g. airport security)

Equatorial Guinea have been chosen as the new hosts.

Why is it every two years anyway? way too often should be like the Euros and WC once every 4 years

Why is it every two years anyway? way too often should be like the Euros and WC once every 4 years

This one will make it four in 5 years because they had it two years in a row to change the year it was hosted about (why they couldn't wait four years I'll never know) really annoying. Can understand them having it in January as it's the most convineant time for them but they're taking the **** a bit.

You could say the same about the League cup or the Fa Cup?
Why dont they have the world cup and euros more often. One every other year. I'd watch it.

You could say the same about the League cup or the Fa Cup?
Why dont they have the world cup and euros more often. One every other year. I'd watch it.

That would be completely impractical. The amount of qualifiers you'd have to do would be ridiculous and international breaks are boring enough as it is without throwing in twice as many (a break every two weeks!). Also, club football is much more fluid than international. The crop of players you have year to year in club football can change a fair bit because of transfers etc. In international football you can easily have the same core group playing for a decade together. Just look at how little ours changed between 2006 and 2014.

That would be completely impractical. The amount of qualifiers you'd have to do would be ridiculous and international breaks are boring enough as it is without throwing in twice as many (a break every two weeks!).

I'd say not necessarily. If the tournament was every year we could change the qualifier system and have two components. One would be the results in the tournament. Those qualifying from the group stage qualify for next year. At the same time (or just before) the non-qualifying countries could play some games to decide who qualifies for the next tournament. There is scope for some playoffs between countries that are third in the tournament groups and others.

Such a system could reduce the number of mid-season internationals , which we mostly find annoying, shorten the season and make the window for the post-season tournament more manageable. In some ways I'd prefer a club season and an international season each year and forget the mid-season internationals.

This is just for the sake of argument. I think the value and the importance of the world cup is because it is just once in four years, but there are alternatives, especially when trying to fit in a world cup in Qatar.

Last edited:

[video=youtube;YUsDSUYX1vo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsDSUYX1vo[/video]

Both teams qualified.

Things got rather nasty afterwards.

234D08E800000578-0-image-1_1416417853171.jpg

234D157100000578-0-image-3_1416417935923.jpg

234D6E9F00000578-2841263-image-10_1416421571446.jpg

Back