• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very surprised if the club if we gave them anything more than the minimum.

So would I to be honest but you never know. Demand being high from both sets of fans for the away leg might see a little negotiation. Its possible but i agree, unlikely.

I love you all, truly, but a big fudge you to those who wanted us to go out I can't fudgeing wait for this!! :)
Gotta feeling that because of Dortmunds famed support at their place we're gonna rock it at the lane in the 2nd leg (remember the Seville at home game)

Tough fudging draw. But then again, if we can beat Dortmund over two legs, we can beat anyone. Definitely one of the two toughest teams we could draw though, in my opinion.

Tuchel's Dortmund are even crazier gegenpressers than Klopp's Dortmund were, I think: if our fitness holds up, we'll be in for an entertaining two legs, as both sides relentlessly fight for possession and send quick passes up to the final third.

Over on r/borussiadortmund, by the way, they're all very complementary about us, calling us (at various points) the best team left in the EL, the team they watch most outside of their own, the club with the most self-aware, funny fans in Europe, and so on.

That part-time goat herder of a ref we had yesterday has really f*cked us over, though: an easy draw and we could have coped without Alli, but we'll now end up missing him at the Westfalenstadion, a daunting prospect.

Either way, I'm hyped. The games come after the three games in six days that will define our PL fate (including Arse at the Lane), so we might not have a lot in the tank, but it's still a prestige tie that I wanted to see. And if we do end up going out, no shame in that: better than to fall before some more ignoble foe.

Qualifying for last 16 – Dortmund beat Porto 3-0 on aggregate in the round of 32, winning 2-0 at home and 1-0 away.

Form – Dortmund have won 11 and drawn one of their last 12 games in all competitions.

League – Their most recent outing in the German Bundesliga saw them win 1-0 at Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday (February 21).

Standings – Dortmund are currently second in the Bundesliga table with 51 points from 22 games (W16, D3, L3).

Stadium – Dortmund play their homes games at Signal Iduna Park, a venue which hosted matches at the 1974 and 2006 FIFA World Cup finals.

Boss – Dortmund are managed by Thomas Tuchel, who was previously in charge at 1. FSV Mainz 05.

Marksman – Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is Dortmund’s top scorer this season with 31 goals in all competitions, including 21 in the Bundesliga.

Player connections – We signed midfielder Steffen Freund from Borussia Dortmund in 1998. He won the 1995 and 1996 Bundesliga titles with them, as well as the 1997 Champions League. Defender Young-Pyo Lee left us for Borussia Dortmund in 2008.

Past meetings – We beat Borussia Dortmund 3-0 in the Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament in Rotterdam in August, 2008, thanks to goals from Darren Bent, Giovani dos Santos and Jamie O'Hara. We also drew 1-1 in a pre-season friendly away to Dortmund in August, 2006, with Dimitar Berbatov on target for us. In May, 1950, we beat Borussia Dortmund 4-0 during a tour of Germany and Belgium with Sonny Walters, Len Duquemin, Eddie Baily and Harry Gilberg on target. A year later we met them in the Festival of Britain tournament, with goals from Baily and Peter Murphy giving us a 2-1 win.

Interesting that even on Dortmunds homepage they are saying the two teams are unbelievably similar in terms of quality. Its a very complimentary article if anyone can read German:

http://www.bvb.de/News/Uebersicht/Tottenham-Hotspur-ist-Gegner-auf-Augenhoehe-mit-dem-BVB

Interesting stuff. They were also the first German team to win a Euro Cup - also the CWC a few years after us. It says the one area they are behind us is they have never won the UEFA Cup, whereas we have done it twice.

Says we hammered Fiorentina and tinkleed a hard group. Really interesting read.
In the next round of the UEFA Europa League, there is a first: Never before met Borussia Dortmund in a competitive match on Tottenham Hotspur. It is the next, very serious hurdle for BVB on the way to the final on May 18 in Basel.

As an ex-BVB player Alexander Frei, who conducted the draw in Nyon, Switzerland, Borussia Dortmund first and then the Spurs pulled out of the pot, flashed him a mischievous grin on his lips.Even the 36-year-old, now employed at FC Basel in the youth department knew that he had set his former club from Westphalia with this opponent the next quite thick chunks nose. The Spurs, a competitor on par with the BVB.

Tottenham is in very good shape
Two-time English champions from the North London lay for a 1: 1 in the first leg at Fiorentina on Thursday with a 3: 0 against the Italians by and pulled at the end confidently into the round of 16 teams. The same applies to the balance at the beginning of the competition: In the quite heavy group J Spurs undisputed with four wins, one draw and one defeat against RSC Anderlecht, AS Monaco and Quarabag Agdam winners were.

In the Premier League the London currently play a similar strong season as the BVB in the Bundesliga, are in second place just two points behind leaders Leicester City and therefore have still quite realistic chances of winning the first title win in the league since 1961st

Both brought the Cup Winners' Cup
G_Porto_Abschlussjubel_bvbnachricht_halb_regular.jpg

BVB on Thursday night after the first knockout round.
With the Borussia and Tottenham meet two absolute traditional clubs. The team founded in 1882 in London in 1963 was the first British team to win a European competition with the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup. Three years later, BVB made it for them, became the first German team a prestigious international title - also the Cup Winners' Cup.

In addition to this success, and two championships (1951 and 1961) has eight Tottenham can win the League Cup the FA Cup and four times. In one thing they are the Schwarzgelben even slightly ahead: the UEFA Cup (now Europa League) they could bring to the White Hart Lane both 1972 and 1984th A third success would BVB them now, of course, spoil, to finally win this competition after two final defeats in 1993 and 2002 itself.

bugger me just got home...Dortmund eh! What a tie, gotta stay in it, that first leg will be tough.

thinking further on the draw - probably better to play the favorites (?) earlyish as winning should give you the incentive to go on and win the cup, whilst getting knocked out could be looked at as not delaying the inevitable and freeing us up to focus on the league

Thinking Mason, Dembele and Lamela are musts for the game, if they're still fit and available by then: Mason to take Alli's place and provide some extra steel across the midfield (whether that's at CDM or in the AM three), Dembele to hold on to possession in the face of their pressing, and Lamela to counter-press like a madman when not in possession.

If we head into it on the back of a loss to Arsenal, then we'll likely focus on the EL more as our league position below the top two solidifies: if we beat Arsenal, we'll come into it high on confidence. Either way, this game is going to be great: two big teams, going full-throttle, playing the game the way it's meant to be played in front of roaring crowds (hopefully on our end too!).

This is the draw that I wanted. Away to Dortmund. The two best teams left in the Tournament come face-to-face in a likely and literal winner takes all tie. With us having the advantage of the home leg second.

Win this and we stand an excellent chance of winning the Europa League, as I really don't see any of the other teams left in the Tournament beating us.

Plus what a tie! Against one of the best teams in Europe, on their day. A great away outing for those that can travel & the home leg will sell out so fast, sure to be a great atmosphere & night for that match!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back