• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

I think it's becoming ever more clear just how well we're functioning as a defensive unit this season under Pochettino.

When we had to do without Dier because of suspension against Liverpool there were a lot of worries, but Dembele (in particular) and Alli in central midfield filled in just fine. Equally a lot of worries with Wimmer filling in for Vertonghen, but he's done well and as a team we've still been strong. Changes in the front 4, changes at full back, Carroll coming into central midfield and we've still looked solid.

People are fond of pointing to a single cause, primarily Alderweireld or Dier. But as a team we're defending a lot better as a unit. Our pressing is top notch from the front and the players make smart decisions on when to press and when to drop off.

I'd like to call out that we've only conceded ONE penalty kick all season so far. Joint lowest with Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project and Southhampton.

A real measure of remarkable discipline by the defense.

(Special thanks to @THFC6061 for easy access to the stats)

Last edited:
Two goals conceded and two clean sheets in our first four games. And then consider that a lot of teams will be conceding plenty away at Everton and Stoke, as well as at home to Liverpool, and that of those two goals that we have conceded, one was a penalty that clearly shouldn't have been given. We had the best defence in the league last season even after the capitulation on the final day (or even the final four games). In fact, last season was the season we conceded the fewest goals since the 1970-71 season.

Has to be asked - is this current Tottenham defence the best we've ever had? I grew up on a diet of Ramon Vega, Kevin Scott, Stuart Nethercott, Gary Doherty, Dean Austin, Clive Wilson and co. Even though there have been times when King was fit when we'd look solid at the back, I personally can't re-call us ever looking as consistently solid as we do now.

Two goals conceded and two clean sheets in our first four games. And then consider that a lot of teams will be conceding plenty away at Everton and Stoke, as well as at home to Liverpool, and that of those two goals that we have conceded, one was a penalty that clearly shouldn't have been given. We had the best defence in the league last season even after the capitulation on the final day (or even the final four games). In fact, last season was the season we conceded the fewest goals since the 1970-71 season.

Has to be asked - is this current Tottenham defence the best we've ever had? I grew up on a diet of Ramon Vega, Kevin Scott, Stuart Nethercott, Gary Doherty, Dean Austin, Clive Wilson and co. Even though there have been times when King was fit when we'd look solid at the back, I personally can't re-call us ever looking as consistently solid as we do now.

As a total unit this back 4 (or 5 including Lloris) is clearly the best we've had for as long as I can remember (essentially the PL + a couple of years).

Best I can remember. We also defend brilliantly as a team, everyone works hard and we defend from the front.

We still give up some chances we could prevent with a bit of effort, and we looked worryingly harried and vulnerable against Liverpool, but I suppose we can't ask for more than we're getting - and in that regard, Walker-Toby-Jan-Rose/Davies have been the best defensive unit I've seen since the Corluka-Woodgate-King-BAE back line in 2008-2009, which (iirc) set the record for the least number of goals conceded at home. And the comparison's been made before, but Toby remains almost King-esque in the way he marshals the back line and cleans up any errors - Ledley had to play behind worse midfields and with no knees, of course, so he still stands alone, but Toby's still the nearest approximation I've yet seen in a Spurs shirt. :)

Still, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. The test will come in the back end of the season, when we'll be tasked with avoiding another late-season collapse while the lads increasingly tire as the games roll on. If we finish the season as we've started it, then this defense can unreservedly lauded - until then, some lingering questions will remain.

This defence only concede more than two goals once all last season... It's what bugged me massively about that poocastle result

defending from the front as a team the way we do no doubt helps the back 4/5 do their job, even still it's got to be our best back five in my lifetime

defending from the front as a team the way we do no doubt helps the back 4/5 do their job, even still it's got to be our best back five in my lifetime

It even beats Hughton, Miller, Roberts and Stevie P...great defense but Maxi always had a massive wobble or two in him.

We still give up some chances we could prevent with a bit of effort, and we looked worryingly harried and vulnerable against Liverpool, but I suppose we can't ask for more than we're getting - and in that regard, Walker-Toby-Jan-Rose/Davies have been the best defensive unit I've seen since the Corluka-Woodgate-King-BAE back line in 2008-2009, which (iirc) set the record for the least number of goals conceded at home. And the comparison's been made before, but Toby remains almost King-esque in the way he marshals the back line and cleans up any errors - Ledley had to play behind worse midfields and with no knees, of course, so he still stands alone, but Toby's still the nearest approximation I've yet seen in a Spurs shirt. :)

Still, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. The test will come in the back end of the season, when we'll be tasked with avoiding another late-season collapse while the lads increasingly tire as the games roll on. If we finish the season as we've started it, then this defense can unreservedly lauded - until then, some lingering questions will remain.

Pool has a bum rush mentality where they hit long balls, use pace and push very high up, can be difficult for any defense.

Actually think clubs believe we start slowly, and they start at very hectic pace to try and get the early goal, think we often look a little unsettled for 15-20 minutes, then we adapt, find our rhythm and slowly control game. Even with the uncomfortable starts, our defense is doing well.

Be interesting to see average number of saves per game, over last 3 seasons, my memory would seem to say our keepers are doing less now.

Pool has a bum rush mentality where they hit long balls, use pace and push very high up, can be difficult for any defense.

Actually think clubs believe we start slowly, and they start at very hectic pace to try and get the early goal, think we often look a little unsettled for 15-20 minutes, then we adapt, find our rhythm and slowly control game. Even with the uncomfortable starts, our defense is doing well.

Be interesting to see average number of saves per game, over last 3 seasons, my memory would seem to say our keepers are doing less now.

Certainly last year that was the case

And least in the area too meaning pot shots from distance

With regard to 'Pool, you might be right, but that's an argument for learning how to cope with that type of thing better, since it's such a simple maneuver. We tried it too - under Harry (at least from late 2009 onwards), we were renowned for coming out of the blocks like a goddamn monster truck, and it was routine for commentators to talk urgently about the need for whoever we were playing to weather the storm we threw at them for the first 20-25 minutes or so. We faded away after that point, and at the end of games we were usually barely conscious, holding on by the tips of our fingers as the opposition threw everything at us in return.

Point being, other teams learned how to deal with us when we tried to front-load our attacking verve into the first 25 minutes. We sinilarly need to learn how to deal with our slow starts inviting the opposition on to us - that Liverpool game could have seen us two or three down by the break, and Vorm's excellent keeping spared our blushes there. Thankfully, that's the rare exception, and we've otherwise been solid, but the threat is there.

Every team in the league has conceded at least twice as many goals as us this season so far.

Arsenal, Man Utd, Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, Stoke and Hull have all had a single match this season where they've conceded the same number of goals as we've conceded all season thus far.

We have already equalled our clean sheet total that we achieved in the 02/03 season.

Every team in the league has conceded at least twice as many goals as us this season so far.

Arsenal, Man Utd, Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, Stoke and Hull have all had a single match this season where they've conceded the same number of goals as we've conceded all season thus far.

We have already equalled our clean sheet total that we achieved in the 02/03 season.

And....

We're fudging beastly when it comes to defending and you wouldn't say we're a defensive side

It's great when a player like Wanyama comes in and just clicks and arguably makes us stronger that way

If we can get the attacking rhythm we had last season this season can be really special

Our defence is the best it's been for me since I don't know when!
Great, if we could our attack to the same level we could win the league!

Back