• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT SPURS vs ANZHI ***

Was it just me or did we criminally underuse Chadli- almost nothing came down the left side tonight.

Also what was with defoe keep coming back in to the centre mid area to take a pointless touch and leave no-one up front?

And whilst I'm ranting the difference between Holtby and Eriksen? Holtby comes deep to get involved but invariably when the ball is played up to him his first pass is straight back to the defence- at least once he was passed the ball in acres of space but rAther than turn and run at their defence his first thought was to return the ball back to our defenders. Surely we want the ball playing creative mid be the one to pass it around not the centre back?!

Good effort tonight but second half we didn't look up for it and against a better side we could've got punished for being loose in possession.

I haven't written him off by any stretch, just expressed an early opinion...I was interested in the views of others. Now, rather than lie in wait to give your opinion of my opinion Affy :) owzabout an opinion on Fryers? I'm genuinely interested...

nope, that doesnt matter in this place....i'm allowed to read into a simple comment, a simple opinion about what you saw and draw my own conclusion about what you meant and beat you over the head with it LOL.

I would like to quote someone "the debate is that he didnt justify his transfer fee in one game. Ludicrous!!"...whoever said that has the right idea. I say we hand people that make rash judgemental comments like you did fryers

you need to give him time, he is young learning his trade and just started an away game against tough european opposition and you're here having a go at him. Tut tut

(i kind of like being part of a witch hunting crew:lol:)

Only saw the last 30 mins or so.
Kaboul-sad. Lamela will not be starting any home games soon according to the comments in this thread.

Not a lot to learn from this game. C**p pitch.

Edit: Chiriches will take a lot of getting used to.

Well that was 90 minutes of our life none of us will ever get back. Tonight not only bored me rigid, but it made me incredibly sad. The quality of opponents in these stages are laughable and an embarrasment. Champions League or "this". Roll on Sunday.

This season
PALACE 1-0
DINAMO TBILISI 5-0
SWANSEA 1-0
DINAMO TBILISI 3-0
ARSENAL 0-1
NORWICH 2-0
TROMSO 3-0
CARDIFF 1-0
ASTON VILLA 4-0
CHELSEA 1-1
ANZHI 2-0

Perfect resut in the other group game too. Back to back wins v Sheriff and we have qualified on Day 4. Even 4pts from the 2 games puts us through barring an absolute disaster at home to Anzhi or in Norway

Was it just me or did we criminally underuse Chadli- almost nothing came down the left side tonight.

Also what was with defoe keep coming back in to the centre mid area to take a pointless touch and leave no-one up front?

And whilst I'm ranting the difference between Holtby and Eriksen? Holtby comes deep to get involved but invariably when the ball is played up to him his first pass is straight back to the defence- at least once he was passed the ball in acres of space but rAther than turn and run at their defence his first thought was to return the ball back to our defenders. Surely we want the ball playing creative mid be the one to pass it around not the centre back?!

Good effort tonight but second half we didn't look up for it and against a better side we could've got punished for being loose in possession.

There was a fair bit of that I'll concede, but frankly you are shortchanging him. When players return the ball it's usually because by the time they receive it there's a man on so rather than risk losing possession the'lly lay it off. But, like Eriksen and to a lesser extent Sigurdsson, Holtby can produce the priceless through-ball that unlocks defences. There were at least three beauties tonight, the simplest of which Defoe scored from.

The other thing that Holtby is not adequately being recognised for imo is the lengths he goes to to make himself available in space. He is on the go the whole time, constantly searching out that critical spot that will create an opening or provide an easy passing option for the player in possession.

The move that ultimately led to Chadli's goal tonight was a directly attributable to Holtby's initiative. He came very deep for the ball, and at first passed it back a couple of times to shake off his marker, but then ran right across into space on the other side of the pitch and gestured for the ball. He now had space and time to produce a superb lob over the top to put Walker totally clear to set up Chadli's goal. Brilliant!

This sort of selfless, intelligent play from Holtby deserves much more recognition imo.

Invariably? With one example? I'm sure we'll see similar from Eriksen too. Holtby had another good game today I thought in not the easiest of situations.

Thoroughly professional performance I thought. We slowed it down in the second half with our two goal lead. But without being too sloppy and a apart from a shorter spell at the start of the second half when they managed to put some pressure on us we looked in control.

I haven't written him off by any stretch, just expressed an early opinion...I was interested in the views of others. Now, rather than lie in wait to give your opinion of my opinion Affy :) owzabout an opinion on Fryers? I'm genuinely interested...

Fryers looks decent. Has some pace and looks strong. Looks pretty solid. Very non-adventurous going forward so far, could be just that he's keeping things simple as it's very early days for him still though. Early to say.

Very difficult to judge how good he actually is defensively without seeing him up against better players.

Back