• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Jol should have been gone before that season started. We had been regressing for some time.

9th, 5th, 5th isn't what I'd call regressing (especially when in the previous 8 seasons we had only finished better than 10th once), I'd agree we had topped out with Jol but regression is a bit OTT

Basically from 2004 - current, Spurs has been progressing upwards, 07/08 & 08/09 were the exceptions (but we got a cup)

Jol, Ramos, Harry, AVB, TS, Poch for managers, Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, JD, Modric, Bale, Walker as players have all moved on, we still have progressed.

Unfortunately the way it was handled will always supersede the logic of the decision. And it was handled terribly.

I dont see why it should. People should be capable of understanding/accepting two distinct points:

1) Jol going was ultimately the right decision, and
2) Jols sacking was shockingly mismanaged, and ultimately disrespected the man immensely (and he conducted himself with class on the night).

These arent mutually exclusive statements.

I agree that Levy handled it poorly but “allegedly” Jol was in sniffing a pay rise every time we hit a run of form and had also hitched his skirt for the dutch job as well as Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Which is why I sort of worry about some of the sounds Mopo has been making about other jobs.

Levy’s got rid of two managers on the back of it.

Didn’t Redknapp get the boot a week after being a pundit on the bbc admitting he was interested in the England job?

Didn’t Redknapp get the boot a week after being a pundit on the bbc admitting he was interested in the England job?

Redknapp got booted after Hodgson was already hired if I remembered correctly.

He got fired because we'd seemingly had 3rd locked down and then ended up finishing 4th,only for Chelsea to take our spot (sound familiar....:eek:).

But more importantly, he had spent a good few months fudging us over with his personal flimflam. The law finally caught up with him and he spent part of the season in court. He had his health issues (ok , not his fault in fairness).

And he started talking about the England job just a little bit too much and started talking as if he WAS the England manager. At one point late on, he was saying that he would be happy to see Chelsea win the CL, even as it became obvious that we would almost certainly be the ones to miss out. The England manager wants English clubs to win continental trophies. The Spurs manager does not. And certainly not Chelsea or Arsenal. Imagine Ferguson coming out and saying he wanted Liverpool to win the CL, especially if it disadvantaged Man Utd.

He gave us some good times but he had to go.

He got fired because we'd seemingly had 3rd locked down and then ended up finishing 4th,only for Chelsea to take our spot (sound familiar....:eek:).

But more importantly, he had spent a good few months fudging us over with his personal flimflam. The law finally caught up with him and he spent part of the season in court. He had his health issues (ok , not his fault in fairness).

And he started talking about the England job just a little bit too much and started talking as if he WAS the England manager. At one point late on, he was saying that he would be happy to see Chelsea win the CL, even as it became obvious that we would almost certainly be the ones to miss out. The England manager wants English clubs to win continental trophies. The Spurs manager does not. And certainly not Chelsea or Arsenal. Imagine Ferguson coming out and saying he wanted Liverpool to win the CL, especially if it disadvantaged Man Utd.

His goose was cooked when he said that spring that players didn’t care about manager speculation and then in the summer he said Levy should give him a new contract as players needed stability. To the press. As Levy was grieving over a personal loss. It was terrible. Never forget too that having blown the gap as he became distracted, we then had 3rd in our own hands with two games to go. One away at Villa, the other home to I cannot remember (we won 2-0, I was there, it was a horrible afternoon as Fulop up at West Brom seemed to throw the game up there)...I was at Villa and some of Harry’s decisions were baffling!!!!!! Defoe stayed on the bench for a game we needed to win!

Poch has had so many more obstacles this season than Redknapp ever had. His approach to the NLD that spring was a disgrace...must stop remembering!!!!!

He also offered Brendon Rodgers the England assistant managers job at half time in a game against Swansea!
What a clown shoe!

His goose was cooked when he said that spring that players didn’t care about manager speculation and then in the summer he said Levy should give him a new contract as players needed stability. To the press. As Levy was grieving over a personal loss. It was terrible. Never forget too that having blown the gap as he became distracted, we then had 3rd in our own hands with two games to go. One away at Villa, the other home to I cannot remember (we won 2-0, I was there, it was a horrible afternoon as Fulop up at West Brom seemed to throw the game up there)...I was at Villa and some of Harry’s decisions were baffling!!!!!! Defoe stayed on the bench for a game we needed to win!

Poch has had so many more obstacles this season than Redknapp ever had. His approach to the NLD that spring was a disgrace...must stop remembering!!!!!

Fulham. Defoe scored one of the goals as well.

His interviews were just bizarre around that time as well. After we lost at home to Norwich he said “you can’t play no holding midfielders in CM, you get torn open like happened today” as if he was a pundit or something and had no say over the team selection? He was the bloody manager!!

Which is why I sort of worry about some of the sounds Mopo has been making about other jobs.

Levy’s got rid of two managers on the back of it.
He didn't get rid of Jol due to him hitching his skirt. He got rid of him for a very poor start to the season.

He did get rid of Redknapp when Redknapp showed that he had zero commitment to Spurs (although to be completely fair here, Redknapp had completed the job he was brought in for at this point and I think that Levy wanted a different way that involved less spending and more coaching).

He didn't get rid of Jol due to him hitching his skirt. He got rid of him for a very poor start to the season.

He did get rid of Redknapp when Redknapp showed that he had zero commitment to Spurs (although to be completely fair here, Redknapp had completed the job he was bought in for at this point and I think that Levy wanted a different way that involved less spending and more coaching).

As I heard it (thus "allegedly"), everyone had been telling Levy to sack Jol that summer but he didn't want to and wanted to persist. He was not happy about Jol's constant "movement" but they did get on and I believe it was actually Levy being too soft initially that summer that led to the moment where he had to act fast. I alarm "allegedly" heard that Redknapp was only ever designed to be short-term get out of jail appt. Levy has always wanted what he has with Pochettino with regards to coaching vs spending. I believe that what Chelski did by stealing Arnesen set him back a fair few years (not to mention cemented that we will never ever deal with them if he has any say in it)...

He did get rid of Redknapp when Redknapp showed that he had zero commitment to Spurs (although to be completely fair here, Redknapp had completed the job he was bought in for at this point and I think that Levy wanted a different way that involved less spending and more coaching).
I thought Harry was a good appointment for the mess we were in, thought he’d stabilize us and then be on his way. He well exceeded that remit though, fair play to him.

I heard something about Redknapp expecting his CL bonus for finishing 4th and he also thought he was in a strong position for his new contract so he hired Rooneys agent to negotiate a top top deal. This may or may not have influenced levy’s decision to go in a ‘different direction’. I also got the impression that Redknapp over achieved on his initial remit but his extra curricular interests and loose lips with the media went against Levy’s vision for a figurehead if the club.

Although Roy has had a great coaching career and is one of the more reputable old school managers l, I think his Liverpool experience would always make it difficult for him with the England job. Redknapp would have been a better fit, especially in the short term as he would have made everyone feel a million dollars and kept the roles and tactics simple. Probably would have talked a couple of players back out of retirement too!

Back