1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Cecil Poynton

Careful mate, keep posting things like that and the mob will be after you....

Dier? absolutely-fudging-exhausted IMHO. Not fit either.

Much like Eriksen he has been massively over played these last few years, such is his importance to us. And I think its all just caught up on him.

The illnessness speak to fatigue as much as anything, but also so does his head not being in the game as much.

He has been poor this season, particularly by his standards, but I dont look at him thinking he deserves selling off or anything.

Still one of our most important players, IMHO - but in need of rest, and a proper pre season. And maybe some sort of "reset" mentally.

2. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

Nail on the head, he has had injury and health problems this season and he is clearly not fit. Give him the summer off and judge him how/when he comes back.

indospurs, Robbo, scaramanga and 3 others like this.
  3. Legohamster

Legohamster Vedran Corluka

He played in Euro 16 and World Cup so is among that group that’s not had much rest time.

I mean this in the nicest way to Dier

But he’s the perfect squad player.

Can play in about 4 positions well, gets the club and won’t moan.

We won’t get better than him for what we need from him.

4. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Cecil Poynton

I actually think he is the perfect first team player.

He is often the key to our switching formations mid game seamlessly thanks to that flexibility.

Robbo, mjc23, spurrrr and 5 others like this.
  5. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

When fit he is a very important player for us as others have said, he has had a poor season but its more down to illness/injury then ability.

6. Legohamster

fudge me arsenal are hilarious

7. Legohamster

At the moment yes.

I would have a fully fit Dier other the other options

8. Robspur12

Robspur12 Mitchell Thomas

Ahead of winks and this season's Sissoko? No chance. Not in midfield. I would move him back into defence preferably on the right. Under pressure he is no where near Winks's level in terms of holding on to the ball and making something with it

His tackling is reckless. Saturday was not the first time. He often dives in when really he needs to stay on his feet. Also when the ball gets played behind him he doesn't have the mobility to recover unlike Sissoko. Next season with Var he will get caught out where he has got away with it.

The last good performance I remember from Dier was against Real Madrid where he was fantastic at the back that night. He definitely has the talent but still has a lot to learn.

papaspur and afsoc4life like this.
  9. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Justin Edinburgh

I think the ref would’ve done us a favour by sending him off.

10. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Justin Edinburgh

His best position is on the bench to offer acceptable cover for RB, CM and CH.

papaspur likes this.
  11. Hotspur75

Hotspur75 Roger Nilsen

One of the key takeaways from last night's celebrations for me is how completely bonkers Eric Dier went at Moura's third goal, again at the final whistle, and still in the photo of the entire team + Levy + Poch in the empty Cruijff Arena (in the Levy thread). He must have been very disappointed twice, first at not starting (his Bournemouth performance did not merit that, but Wanyama has not covered himself in glory either since the City CL game), and second at not coming on for Wanyama at the start of the second half. And yet there he is, as the most elated of the entire bunch. I have always cherished Eric ever since he arrived at us and scored that winner at the Boleyn, thinking he is as much of a key player as Kane and Alli, but in the last few months I had started to doubt him a little. Also with Poch describing the rebuilding process as 'painful', I wondered if he alluded to Dier, given that he occupies a 'foreign' squad place. But if he can celebrate like that, on a night of personal mixed feelings, then he deserves to be at our club for many years to come. His positional flexibility remains so important. I hope he finds his form next season.

indospurs, Robbo, spurrrr and 4 others like this.
  12. 90291Spur

90291Spur Nick Barmby

But don't forget he was once caught laughing on camera while being a sub...

For the sake of clarity, I love Eric Dier...

nayenezgani and scaramanga like this.
  13. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

There remains a lot to come from Dier going forward, he is a important player in our set up but his season has been spoilt by injury and illness. I am sure once he gets over it all he will be back next season and a regular player for us.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. metalgear

metalgear Johnny Morrison

Serge aurier was also celebrating like crazy. But like Kane said, gotta prove yourself to be ready to play.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

15. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

2016/17 was by far our best season. More goals scored, less conceded and 86 points compared to the previous campaign of 70. We were far more clinical that season than the Leicester season and looked stronger in pretty much every aspect of the team.

16. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

Disagree on all the subjective points

17. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

But 16 more points, more goals scored and fewer conceded would show we were a better side than the year before no?

18. 90291Spur

90291Spur Nick Barmby

Statistics... What are they good for?

19. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Robinson

We were utterly unbeatable for the vast majority of that year. I think it's one of the two seasons in all my years supporting Spurs that teams showed up at the Lane beaten before the game even kicked-off - they looked terrified of us at times, praying for the game to end.

It was such a superbly-balanced team, too - Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Kane. We used the narrow width of the Lane to full effect, and dominated every game. And we would go and murder teams like Leicester away by 6 goal-margins, too.

Don't think we've ever hit those heights since, and a large part of it has to do with losing critical components of what made us so good - the flying wing-backs (both of them), and the utterly indomitable central midfield of peak Wanyama and peak Moose.

(Btw, the other time I saw teams beaten before kick-off was during the first halves of 2011/2012 - every game, we would come exploding out of the gates like electric nightmares and torment teams for the first 45. Of course, that season we then usually collapsed in the second halves of games. :p )

20. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

That depends on so many more variables than just Spurs.