1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Dier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Jul 2014.

1. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Andy Thompson Staff Member

Yeah, and where are those two now? Sorry, what IS your point? Frankly I get tired of Dier knockers. He hides less than most and is a victim of his own footballing versatility. We are very lucky to have him.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

2. thfcsteff

What????? You’re judging Dier’s intelligence on how he speaks? Oh dear oh dear oh dear. How foolish of you!
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...d-defender-the-new-face-of-football-nl0zhp5lr

SteveAWOL, milo, StephenH and 2 others like this.
  3. 90291Spur

90291Spur Paul Stalteri

4. Jon

Jon Teemu Tainio

Three in fact, as I hear he speaks fluent Brazilian also.....

5. harr1984

harr1984 Paul Stalteri

As is normally the case the truth probably lies somewhere in between. You are absolutely right his strengths are his versatility, his attitude, his willingness to show and not hide regardless of his or the team’s personal performance. But it is a massive stretch to suggest he dictates the play for us. What I will say is that he has a great long pass in him, the one that sticks out is the one to Dele at Stamford Bridge for his goal and there have been other instances I can’t remember. My one criticism of him has always been his sloppyness, he has in the past consistently given the ball away in games in dangerous areas. However that’s the only real criticism I have of him and is something that should be rectified over time. All in all he’s a big asset and I see him as more of a future Spurs captain (in what position I’m not sure) more than I do Kane.....

6. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

Once again, there is nothing in his play that backs up your and scara’s belief that he is top drawer.

Robspur12 likes this.
  7. Jurgen the German

Either you’re seriously underrating all pundits (not all of them are good but some of them know what they are talking about, Gary Neville for example) or you have delusions of grandeur and think you know far much more than you actually do. Probably a bit of both.

8. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

Neville is the best of a bad bunch but is not very insightful at all. When was the last time Neville said anything (other than dressing room type stuff) that you didn't already know or understand?

9. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

In some cases it’s “omertà” I expect.

There is so much going on tactically that is merely a setup for future advantage that players close to systems, such as Neville and United, are wary of tipping hands, thus they stick to what any idiot can see. Of course a lot of pundits are any idiot so it’s hard to know the difference.

Neville used to highlight lots of interesting shapes and moves United were using, then he stopped, I assume bevause LvG gave him a gonad*ing.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2019
  10. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

An example we can look out for today, much has been made of Leicester’s full backs playing short from the back in recent weeks, pundits on sky and MOTD picked up on this, it’s almost certainly a faint by Puel hoping to set a trap for us, he’s been setting it up in games against weaker opposition so they can go back to the quick ball over the top today hopefully against a back four that doesn’t include Sanchez.

Poch of course is too smart for that.

11. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Robinson

To be fair, you were spot on - it was all high pressing on our full-backs, and long passes to set theirs away on the edge of our area. ;)

12. 90291Spur

90291Spur Paul Stalteri

Brazilian in the new Dutch o_O

Jon likes this.
  13. Robbo

Robbo Alf Ramsey

That's what she said.

14. thfcsteff

OK. If you say so. Do me a favour, please contact Mauricio Pochettino and Gareth Southgate and let them know too before logging off would you? Ta.

15. Jurgen the German

Can I ask why it bothers you so much that some people don’t rate him as highly as you do? You said in a previous post you were “tired of people hating on Dier” or words to that effect. This isn’t the third reich mate. Not everyone has to rate players the same as you and Scara. Lots of people on here don’t rate Sissoko at all but that’s what this forum is here for, debate.

Robspur12 likes this.
  16. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Gheorge Popescu

I'm with Jurgen on this one, to compare him to Carrick, who I can't remember ever giving the ball way..... well, I disagree. He doesn't dictate tempo, he has a good first touch and can spray the odd fine long ball. He's strong and good one-on-one defensively. He is a decent player but certainly could and should be upgraded on, in my opinion (in terms of the first team).

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  17. Yiddo

Yiddo Vedran Corluka

Get rid while his price is at its peak. Would get £40m for him easily.

18. Robspur12

Robspur12 Dean Austin

Steff you are better than this kind of post. We all like Dier here, we get he is Spurs, but he is not immune to critisism. I personally don't think he is particularly suited to the midfield role. And actually Southgate played Henderson ahead of Dier at the WC. However, I think his defending is good enough to play RB or CB in a 3.

19. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Les Ferdinand

Squad player, man u had a few like him in their glory years.

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.
  20. thfcsteff

Thanks for that.
    In return, allow me to make a few points before banning myself from this specific angle of Dier discussion any further.

1) In the course of discussion I had presented my opinion as to why Poch rates Dier. I further asserted that he is a top drawer player.

2) The response I got was that there was nothing in his play to suggest he was a top drawer player.

3) My sarcastic response was partially a reaction to someone who simply threw down a phrase as if it were gospel without any justification. It was also partially to point out that two the best managers/coaches in football consider him vital members of their squads and as such this makes him a top drawer player.

I understand there are people who don’t like him. Excellent. It takes all sorts. But a discussion is a discussion.

It appears both Jurgen and your good self are miffed that I responded a few times and didn’t fold to your viewpoint(s). No worries. It could be worse. You could be trying to tell me Wanyama is the answer right now: