• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

while i've been critical of poch of late, i'm contented for him to warm the seat until the stadium is built, and give him some time to get our youth development conveyor belt working at full tilt.

i'm sure our results will progress as the current stock of players mature, but i'd be happy for poch to hand over the reins to a proven coach when the right time comes. But not just now, for the sake of the young ones.

He did not inherit a team that was bedded in. He spent the first half of the season giving the established players a chance and when they showed that they were not up to it, he introduced the youngsters. Anyone who expects a team as young as this to maintain a consistent level of form is a fool. It is disappointing how we have played the last few weeks but most of us were prepared to write this season off if at the end of it we had sorted the wheat from the chaff and built the foundations for our next team. We have done that.

I said a SQUAD. A squad bedded in. Makes a huge difference, the fact he didn't want to use those talented players and instead bed utter cack in from the academy like Mason is his problem :p

I said a SQUAD. A squad bedded in. Makes a huge difference, the fact he didn't want to use those talented players and instead bed utter cack in from the academy like Mason is his problem :p

So which players from the squad should he be picking?

Jesus wept this is so unintelligent it beggars belief. Mason one is not the biggest problem here. As I have said elsewhere, all our forward players are making poor decisions and the final ball is shocking. If anything, mason brings a pulse of energy with tireless running. I'd prefer to see Dembele in there tbh but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some people have a pop at a played who hasn't even had a whole season playing premiership football!

Jesus wept this is so unintelligent it beggars belief. Mason one is not the biggest problem here. As I have said elsewhere, all our forward players are making poor decisions and the final ball is shocking. If anything, mason brings a pulse of energy with tireless running. I'd prefer to see Dembele in there tbh but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some people have a pop at a played who hasn't even had a whole season playing premiership football!

In agreement. You've missed my posts over the last few weeks which key those two attacking midfielders around the 'hole' player as the vital elements of our system, and the ones which need to be firing on all cylinders for everything to click. And neither Townsend or Eriksen/Chadli have been playing well out there. Chadli should not be playing right now IMO.

I'm worried that he can't get the defence right, I mean how many clean sheets have we had in the league this season. Arsenal and West Brom away? Any others? You simply can't concede every game and expect to win.

I guess it's whe the results start going south AND we seemingly look spent I start to worry about the traing regime and the 'pressing' philosophy.

Our defence is truly terrible it seems!
What gives me hope is that Poch's second season at Southampton had them with the 6th best defence in the league, with only the top 5 with better defences IIRC.

It would be galling of we finished below Southampton and I am desperately hoping that after being beaten by Tim (shockingly again!) that he wont wont to have another case levelled against him of another manager 'getting better out of his team' etc

for the final games of the season id like to see us shake it up a bit......nothing left to play for, come on Poch lets see some changes

....................Lloris
Yedlin....Fazio..Vertonghen...Rose
..........Stambouli..Dembele
...Lamela......Kane.....Eriksen
...................Soldado

I guess it's whe the results start going south AND we seemingly look spent I start to worry about the traing regime and the 'pressing' philosophy.

Our defence is truly terrible it seems!
What gives me hope is that Poch's second season at Southampton had them with the 6th best defence in the league, with only the top 5 with better defences IIRC.

It would be galling of we finished below Southampton and I am desperately hoping that after being beaten by Tim (shockingly again!) that he wont wont to have another case levelled against him of another manager 'getting better out of his team' etc

We shouldn't be worried about Southampton finishing above us. They're a good team. They were a good steady team, with a great management team and scouting infrastructure, that was well set up to deal with the significant squad losses with wise-reinvestment. They had an embedded club philosophy building from Adkins and improved by Poch and then improved again by Koeman, who has done very well in his first full season.

Similarly, the defeat to Villa was just one of those things. Villa didn't do anything imaginative, they did exactly what Sherwood did under us, push plenty of players forward into attacking positions and play plenty of quick, early, forward balls to a dangerous couple of attacking players. It's Sherwoods 'thing'. It works well against poor teams, or teams in poor form (including us), what it does not work well against is anyone decent or clever, as we've seen with Villa's recent poor results, including a poor result against QPR.

We have had a definate wane in form since the Liverpool game (in which we were actually pretty decent). The last four games have been pretty poor performance-wise, with us getting only 4 points. However, every team has drops in form and everyone, including Man Utd, Liverpool, Southampton, Arsenal, and even Chelsea have gone through runs of playing poorly. Look at Emirates Marketing Project right now? They've gone from looking favourites to challenge Chelsea and nailed on for top-two, to vulnerable to being pipped out of the top four because their run of form has been so horrendous. Their performances haven't been too clever either and they have a vastly superior squad to us.

We have the youngest squad in the league and an even younger first XI. Secondly, we have very few players outside the first XI that are ideal to playing Poch's philosophy and its clear to me that he joined too late to have a real influence in our summer transfer business, given how much he appears to rate the recruits we signed in the summer just gone.

It looks like this entire season appears to have been Poch feeling things out, starting with the old guard of Kaboul, Capoue, Ade, Lennon, Soldado etc before ditching them and bringing in youngsters, which resulted in a massive upturn in performance and for a while we were winning pretty much most of our games for a long period. We haven't had a real dip in form since the introduction of the youngsters but that was always going to come.

I was concerned at the beginning of the season, but I'm not overly now. I think Poch showed what his philosophy was all about this season and even if it was only for a few months, it's not to be surprised given the lack of resources suiting his philosophy.

The real test of Poch is next season, when he has had a chance to shape the squad. I'm relaxed about this season and feel the recent team-selections reveal a lot about Poch's thinking. I don't think he is happy and he's talked about changing our mentality.

I think he's put that challenge down to quite a few of the senior players and time and again it isn't been listened to. I think if he came in an said to Levy "sorry mate, but you bought a bunch of total turd in 2013 and i can't work with them", then he'd on a bad footing from day one. Instead, he's used this season to highlight just how poor these players are for the most part. Mainly in terms of mentality.

We shouldn't be worried about Southampton finishing above us. They're a good team. They were a good steady team, with a great management team and scouting infrastructure, that was well set up to deal with the significant squad losses with wise-reinvestment. They had an embedded club philosophy building from Adkins and improved by Poch and then improved again by Koeman, who has done very well in his first full season.

Similarly, the defeat to Villa was just one of those things. Villa didn't do anything imaginative, they did exactly what Sherwood did under us, push plenty of players forward into attacking positions and play plenty of quick, early, forward balls to a dangerous couple of attacking players. It's Sherwoods 'thing'. It works well against poor teams, or teams in poor form (including us), what it does not work well against is anyone decent or clever, as we've seen with Villa's recent poor results, including a poor result against QPR.

We have had a definate wane in form since the Liverpool game (in which we were actually pretty decent). The last four games have been pretty poor performance-wise, with us getting only 4 points. However, every team has drops in form and everyone, including Man Utd, Liverpool, Southampton, Arsenal, and even Chelsea have gone through runs of playing poorly. Look at Emirates Marketing Project right now? They've gone from looking favourites to challenge Chelsea and nailed on for top-two, to vulnerable to being pipped out of the top four because their run of form has been so horrendous. Their performances haven't been too clever either and they have a vastly superior squad to us.

We have the youngest squad in the league and an even younger first XI. Secondly, we have very few players outside the first XI that are ideal to playing Poch's philosophy and its clear to me that he joined too late to have a real influence in our summer transfer business, given how much he appears to rate the recruits we signed in the summer just gone.

It looks like this entire season appears to have been Poch feeling things out, starting with the old guard of Kaboul, Capoue, Ade, Lennon, Soldado etc before ditching them and bringing in youngsters, which resulted in a massive upturn in performance and for a while we were winning pretty much most of our games for a long period. We haven't had a real dip in form since the introduction of the youngsters but that was always going to come.

I was concerned at the beginning of the season, but I'm not overly now. I think Poch showed what his philosophy was all about this season and even if it was only for a few months, it's not to be surprised given the lack of resources suiting his philosophy.

The real test of Poch is next season, when he has had a chance to shape the squad. I'm relaxed about this season and feel the recent team-selections reveal a lot about Poch's thinking. I don't think he is happy and he's talked about changing our mentality.

I think he's put that challenge down to quite a few of the senior players and time and again it isn't been listened to. I think if he came in an said to Levy "sorry mate, but you bought a bunch of total turd in 2013 and i can't work with them", then he'd on a bad footing from day one. Instead, he's used this season to highlight just how poor these players are for the most part. Mainly in terms of mentality.

A little bit of sensibility here .. well done mate. This season was always going to be tough, and unfortunately we have had bad form at poor times.

Even discussing "if Poch's the man for the job" is not helpful, the last thing Spurs needs is to move on another manager who hasn't failed (having last 3 managers fired while we were in top 6) from a public perception.

We have picked Poch, he has shown at points what can be achieved, we need to back him and give him the chance to succeed or fail.

Speaking of sensible subs, I wonder why Poch wanted Walker to run off his injury when it was clear he wouldn't be able to continue. Medical teams should have first say in these matters and it's as if they couldn't spot the extent of the damage.

If I was Poch, I'd use the last few games to put players in the shop window. The likes of Soldado and Paulinho should be starting every game and we can reintroduce Capoue and Ade too even for 30mins here and there. Lets face it, its going to be tough to get anything near the value we paid but if we can bump up the fee by playing them, it'll be more money to reinvest.

Speaking of sensible subs, I wonder why Poch wanted Walker to run off his injury when it was clear he wouldn't be able to continue. Medical teams should have first say in these matters and it's as if they couldn't spot the extent of the damage.

I'd give Walker some of the blame there, he should have made it clear during half time that he couldn't go on. Overall, I can't remember a season where we have had less injuries.

If I was Poch, I'd use the last few games to put players in the shop window. The likes of Soldado and Paulinho should be starting every game and we can reintroduce Capoue and Ade too even for 30mins here and there. Lets face it, its going to be tough to get anything near the value we paid but if we can bump up the fee by playing them, it'll be more money to reinvest.

No way! I want us to finish 6th; re-introducing ALL of these at once will cost me motherfudging money!

Stronger CM would help.
I am amazed that no-one else sees this.

Our defence is pretty good IMO, and it's not that Bentaleb and Mason aren't good players, they just need a ballwinner in there with them. Be that in a three with both of them, or a two with one of them.

Back