• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I posted this in the match thread, but will post here as well - When I watched Spurs beat Southampton towards the end of last season, I wasn't that impressed with the way Southampton played. While our current squad probably isn't top four standard we should definitely be doing better than we have recently - if only in terms of style/system/tactics etc.

I think Poch is tactically naïve, doesn't seem to appreciate the benefits of a settled side with players playing consistently in certain positions, is unsure of what system/style to play, and - as far as I'm concerned - is a poor judge of what our players are capable of, and so plays the wrong players, (often in the wrong position). Why let Lennon go in January, for example?

We have had some good results but, if we take the stand out performance against Chelsea, for example, I think that match turned on moments of quality from one or two players, rather than the manager's input.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell for certain whether Poch has top four manager potential until he gets his own squad. But I believe he could have done better with the existing squad. And, if he could choose his own squad completely, within the financial constraints we have, I'm not convinced we would end up looking much different from the AVB side/style which led to AVB being sacked.

I hope we retain our good players that are most likely to leave, Eriksen and Loris, in particular. Get some decent players in and start playing with a consistent team and style. Otherwise Poch risks getting the sack by next Christmas, if not before.

I posted this in the match thread, but will post here as well - When I watched Spurs beat Southampton towards the end of last season, I wasn't that impressed with the way Southampton played. While our current squad probably isn't top four standard we should definitely be doing better than we have recently - if only in terms of style/system/tactics etc.

I think Poch is tactically naïve, doesn't seem to appreciate the benefits of a settled side with players playing consistently in certain positions, is unsure of what system/style to play, and - as far as I'm concerned - is a poor judge of what our players are capable of, and so plays the wrong players, (often in the wrong position). Why let Lennon go in January, for example?

We have had some good results but, if we take the stand out performance against Chelsea, for example, I think that match turned on moments of quality from one or two players, rather than the manager's input.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell for certain whether Poch has top four manager potential until he gets his own squad. But I believe he could have done better with the existing squad. And, if he could choose his own squad completely, within the financial constraints we have, I'm not convinced we would end up looking much different from the AVB side/style which led to AVB being sacked.

I hope we retain our good players that are most likely to leave, Eriksen and Loris, in particular. Get some decent players in and start playing with a consistent team and style. Otherwise Poch risks getting the sack by next Christmas, if not before.

lots of good points there.
doesn't help me having doubts about poch though. we surely can't afford another change of coach.

i really don't think he's the problem, silk purse sows ear etc etc

sacking him isn't going to fix things, just mean we start again from square one with someone else and we have this problem again in 12 months time when they can't get a tune from a broken guitar either, we need to let him build what he can

we all know the definition of insanity

Pretty much. We cycle through manager after manager after manager, blaming them all for poor results and performances: it seems we're the only club to perennially hit duds.

Or perhaps, it's not just that we're doomed to perpetually crap managers. Perhaps the problem lies higher up the chain...but no, inconceivable, and Spurs fans will end up ganging up on the poor shmuck in charge anyway, while the men actually responsible for the malaise at the club will just laugh and continue totting up the profits it makes and is going to make them when they eventually sell up.

i really don't think he's the problem, silk purse sows ear etc etc

sacking him isn't going to fix things, just mean we start again from square one with someone else and we have this problem again in 12 months time when they can't get a tune from a broken guitar either, we need to let him build what he can

we all know the definition of insanity

agree that we should keep him but what if, WHAT IF, poch is just too young and naive ?

Pretty much. We cycle through manager after manager after manager, blaming them all for poor results and performances: it seems we're the only club to perennially hit duds.

Or perhaps, it's not just that we're doomed to perpetually crap managers. Perhaps the problem lies higher up the chain...but no, inconceivable, and Spurs fans will end up ganging up on the poor shmuck in charge anyway, while the men actually responsible for the malaise at the club will just laugh and continue totting up the profits it makes and is going to make them when they eventually sell up.

I can't see any imminent change there

I'm hoping Mitchell will usher in a new and more succesful era in player recruitment

I can't see any imminent change there

I'm hoping Mitchell will usher in a new and more succesful era in player recruitment

Oh, I've given up expecting change. I just keep trying to change the minds of my fellow supporters on here who keep missing the forest for the trees, is all. :)

As for Mitchell, he can just point out good players and what it would take to buy them. It is a different person entirely who decides whether that player is worth a slight reduction in 65 million pound profit margins.

Didn't someone say he was our best manager since Burkinshaw a couple of months back? :D Haha. Too early to judge, really. I really wish we get rid of a lot of dead wood this summer and get a few fresh legs in that will actually strengthen our first XI.

There have been moments where we've done well under Poch -- I think both league games against Arsenal show how he can send a team out to play to a plan and when they do, we get a decent performance.

There have been many games where we have got lucky to get points. And there have been a fair few performances where we got what we deserved, which is f**k all.

I like that he has confidence in young, home-grown players. I also like that he gives players a bit of a run before dropping them, so gives them a fair crack (Ade, Kaboul, Capoue and Lamela were all in the side at the start of the season, for example).

I'm not totally sold on him, but we may as well give him time. It would be a new approach for us (leaving the manager in the job) and it might even work out well.

Amazed at the posts on here suggesting Poch should be booted. He inherited an inbalanced over-rated squad and has got us to a position which is about right. Anything higher would have been over-achieving. Judge him next year or the year after. He needs to have a couple SUMMER windows to shape the squad

Amazed at the posts on here suggesting Poch should be booted. He inherited an inbalanced over-rated squad and has got us to a position which is about right. Anything higher would have been over-achieving. Judge him next year or the year after. He needs to have a couple SUMMER windows to shape the squad

No no no!!! Waaah Waaaah Waaah!!!! I want what I want, I want what I expect!!! waaah waaah waaah! It's not perfect!!!! I'm right, I should be manager!! I tell you all this every day on GG! Waaah waaaah waaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Football isn't that complicated, I managed to get all the shiny cards on Panini - waaah waaaah waaah!!! AND IT ONLY TOOK ME ONE SEASON!!!!!!!!

We've done well to get 54 points so far

The big problem is we've only really played well in 3 games...Chelsea, Arsanal at home and West Brom away

The rest of the time we've been average to poor, even if we picked up wins/points

I don't think things will change too much next season. Poch will stick with the 4231 formation and Lloris, Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen and Kane will again form the core of the side imo

In the summer he will try and bring in adequate back ups, but anyway Poch is not someone who will rotate or change things for Pl games.

If Kane gets injured or suffers any kind of second season dip in form we will be in big trouble

I think it's quite a contrast compared to last season. Under AVB we were quite decent defensively but absolutely shocking going forward, up until the thrashings that is. Sherwood came in and we became quite good at beating those teams that on paper we should've been, yet we still looked out of our depth vs a decent footballing side. Under Poch we have gone back to taking points from some of the big teams, but finding it hard to take points against those teams who are happy to sit back.

We lack pace, he got rid of lennon. We either need to protect our defence more with the midfield or offers more creatively, he plays two of the exact same player who week in week out don't help with either. It's just bizarre. We do t have great personnel, but he also isn't using what we have very well either.

I'm worried of what he'll buy in the summer. Our first team is not good enough. Get another defender, another cm, another winger all for the first team, a decent back up striker. A winger with pace, something DIFFERENT to all the players we have.... Something sifferent in central midfield. Options!

Seems like I've been the only one who's criticised poch all season, even when the results were looking good. Do people really see a manager in there? I'm worried, but hope I'm wrong, that's he really isn't very good. We've been awful, he never changes his system when it doesn't work, but his decision making and views on (awful) players is what is truly worrying. I want to give him time, I'm just worried time will just show he isn't close to good enough.

Endless negativity no matter what. Yeah, that's you.

Funny...how many people remember Burkinshaw's first two seasons? If the internet had existed for public use in 1979, he'd have been tin-tacked by then.
There were quite a few who wanted Burkinshaw out, however, you could see he was building and trying to blend Ardiles, Villa, Hoddle, while looking for 20 goal striker, then two come along: Messrs Archiblad and Crooks.
With Poch I don't see that flexibility, or tactical intelligence, let alone the characteristic of pragmatism that the Burk had. Recall, he didn't get along with Archibald but it never stopped him picking Archibaldd.
Alas, Kaboul, Capoue, Ade, Lennon etc seemed to be at loggerheads with Poch and are not selected. Now rumours that Dembele is in the doghouse.

This is not going well.
I concur entirely wit Dubaispurs the major fault lies with Enic but Poch is not helping himself.
The Spurs job should be for a proven winner, e.g. Benitez, even De Boer, it should not be for an up and coming manager with potential. The job is too difficult, it requires ability to handle Levy, players with egos, fans expectations etc.
It definitely should not be an apprenticeship.

There were quite a few who wanted Burkinshaw out, however, you could see he was building and trying to blend Ardiles, Villa, Hoddle, while looking for 20 goal striker, then two come along: Messrs Archiblad and Crooks.
With Poch I don't see that flexibility, or tactical intelligence, let alone the characteristic of pragmatism that the Burk had. Recall, he didn't get along with Archibald but it never stopped him picking Archibaldd.
Alas, Kaboul, Capoue, Ade, Lennon etc seemed to be at loggerheads with Poch and are not selected. Now rumours that Dembele is in the doghouse.

This is not going well.
I concur entirely wit Dubaispurs the major fault lies with Enic but Poch is not helping himself.
The Spurs job should be for a proven winner, e.g. Benitez, even De Boer, it should not be for an up and coming manager with potential. The job is too difficult, it requires ability to handle Levy, players with egos, fans expectations etc.
It definitely should not be an apprenticeship.

If any of the players he didn't get along with produced like Archie did, they'd be playing. You're comparing apples and oranges IMO there. If you think Benitez would handle this job, I think you are ignoring some serious facts about how our club is run. De Boer? A winner in Holland. I think this season would be comparable to the year Burky got us back up, and I think next year we will start to see some fruit. But it could be a couple of years. I think he has it, and I think his policy and structure supports that. If he can get three specific upgrades and develop three more youth talents as squad additions, he will be mustard...

Back