• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Academy Graduates

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
Is it just me that loves seeing Kane, Townsend, Mason and Bentaleb combining - all players who have come through the academy together.

All proper technical players too - not your usual dark ages English players.

Not forgetting Carroll and Fredericks who put in big performances last night too.

Livermore and Caulker as well?

Its hard to give them game time when the stakes are so high. We are a good club for younger players to come through. The chelseas and citys just dont have the time or space for younger players to get real first team opportunities. We play them in Europe, cups and in the Prem. So yes, credit where its due, we are bringing through top level players. Not all will make it at Spurs but they will generate good transfers at the very least.

Last edited:
This lot are in the vanguard of our new academy output.

There is better yet to come. All very promising.

Have to trot this post out now and again. I went to the Premier Academy Final at WHL in 2009. Teams:

Jansson, Smith, Byrne, Cox, Caulker, Butcher, Townsend, Parrett, Rose, Mason, Obika, Subs: Bostock, Kasim, Butler, Kane, Nicholson

Szczesny, Eastmond, Cruise, Frimpong, Bartley, Ayling, Lansbury, Coquelin, Murphy, Sunu, Thomas, Subs: Evina, Henderson, Shea, Boateng, Watt

Wheelchair was away with U21s I think.

I'm excited by Holtb...Pritchard and Coulthirst. Don't know many of the younger ones yet.

I really hope Pritchard gets his chance with us eventually. Definitely a proper player. Coulthirst unlikely to make it at Spurs is my guess.

Last year's U18s (some of whom are still U18) are worth looking out for: Onomah (attacking midfielder), Oduwa (winger), Winks (midfielder), Carter Vickers (central defender), Walker Peters (right back). Also Lesniak, Miller, Maghoma, Sonupe, Ogilvie, Harrison, Walkes - all good players. Some very good prospects in the lower age groups too, by all accounts. I particularly like what I've seen of a small CM called Marcus Edwards.

Oh, and let's not also forget that Veljkovic is also part of the first team squad this season.

Last edited:
Have to trot this post out now and again. I went to the Premier Academy Final at WHL in 2009. Teams:

Jansson, Smith, Byrne, Cox, Caulker, Butcher, Townsend, Parrett, Rose, Mason, Obika, Subs: Bostock, Kasim, Butler, Kane, Nicholson

Szczesny, Eastmond, Cruise, Frimpong, Bartley, Ayling, Lansbury, Coquelin, Murphy, Sunu, Thomas, Subs: Evina, Henderson, Shea, Boateng, Watt

Wheelchair was away with U21s I think.

Kasim was an interesting one.

Remember bankrupt, who used to post on gg a few years back? He used to watch the youth team quite a bit and was a big fan. Couldn't understand why we released him. He disappeared off the map for a while but has been playing for Swindon for the past couple of seasons - and pretty well too, from what I've read.

I really hope Pritchard gets his chance with us eventually. Definitely a proper player. Coulthirst unlikely to make it at Spurs is my guess.

Last year's U18s (some of whom are still U18) are worth looking out for: Onomah (attacking midfielder), Oduwa (winger), Winks (midfielder), Carter Vickers (central defender), Walker Peters (right back). Also Lesniak, Miller, Maghoma, Sonupe, Ogilvie, Harrison, Walkes - all good players. Some very good prospects in the lower age groups too, by all accounts. I particularly like what I've seen of a small CM called Marcus Edwards.

Oh, and let's not also forget that Veljkovic is also part of the first team squad this season.

I thought Coulthirst was ‘the English Tevez’!?

Is Onomah the one that scored ‘that’ goal in King’s testimonial?

There’s Ceballos too, though he didn’t make the EPL 25 because he counts as O/S. Can still feature in Europe though

Remember bankrupt, who used to post on gg a few years back? He used to watch the youth team quite a bit and was a big fan. Couldn't understand why we released him. He disappeared off the map for a while but has been playing for Swindon for the past couple of seasons - and pretty well too, from what I've read.

I remember Kasim turning up at Sheffield United, maybe Crystal Palace too. Then Poyet took him to Brighton.

The player I use to rate the most from watching that team was the other CB - Calum Butcher. He’s at Dundee United now apparently.

I thought Coulthirst was ‘the English Tevez’!?

Is Onomah the one that scored ‘that’ goal in King’s testimonial?

There’s Ceballos too, though he didn’t make the EPL 25 because he counts as O/S. Can still feature in Europe though

I remember Kasim turning up at Sheffield United, maybe Crystal Palace too. Then Poyet took him to Brighton.

The player I use to rate the most from watching that team was the other CB - Calum Butcher. He’s at Dundee United now apparently.

Nope. That was Oduwa.

Re Coulthirst, there was a lot of hype about him because of his goals in a youth game v Barca. And that came from the press rather than from the club.

Last edited:
The press were all over it because Real Madrid had apparently made enquiries about taking Pritchard and Coulthirst off our hands after the 3-1 win at Barca in the Next Gen series. Coulthirst is at Southend this season and is getting minutes. He's not that big which means he'll probably have to make the switch to being a player who plays off the front man.

Goddard is one I've seen talked up, though mainly cos the lad has opted to play for Japan which resulted in a couple of journalists writing pieces about youth players opting to play for countries other than England. Still the result our U18s got in the tournament a couple of weeks ago was good news.

Having a core of academy graduates in the first team squad/team can only be a good thing. They will feel more of a belonging to the club and therefore likely to give that extra 10% than an imported foreign player might do.

Townsend still seems the same player, though. All pace and no brain. His shots and crosses are the same, hit as hard as possible in the general direction of the goal. He still makes bad choices, preferring to shoot when off balance or in a poor position - scored some great goals in the last year or so and maybe that's the problem! Very frustrating to watch.

I was delighted to see so many academy graduates on at the end of the game. I'm not delighted at the sort of abuse Bentaleb and Townsend have received, considering they are two 'of our own'.

I feel a much greater connection to the club and willing for the player to succeed with these guys than I do for players such as Chadli, Paulinho etc...

Mason achieved more in 30 minutes than Paulinho has in his Tottenham career.

He was a good player who was badly advised (either by his parents or agent)

Kasim was decent and I think could have been integrated into the first team squad had he stuck around. He left due to a dispute between the club and his father. My cousin played with Yaser in the Spurs teams going upto U-16 before being released and always said he was quality. Basically his dad was concerned that players like Bostock, Parrett etc who were bought as youth players for reasonably big money were being prioritised in terms of progression and so forth by comparison to players who had been with the club for years.

This was brought up at contract discussion time and they felt the club didn't give them the right assurances and declined the offer of a new 2 year contract and he left which was a shame.

Back