• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The ones that got away

Re: The One that got away

Christ this will be a good thread, we could easily draw up a team full of players destined to sign for us. I'll go for Mata, or Hazard can't decide who I would have preferred....

Could be depressing. Must be heavily linked, not just a passing fancy. GHod knows how we'll distinguish between the twi but oh well.

There's quite a few. David Villa would have been great last season, Nani was a much needed left winger when we had to rely on the pace of Steed, Oscar has been great for Chelsea. Possibly Begovic when we had to rely on Brad a few seasons ago and he let in a few goals I thought a younger/faster keeper would have saved fairly easily.

Could be depressing. Must be heavily linked, not just a passing fancy. GHod knows how we'll distinguish between the twi but oh well.

Well Redknapp said he thought we had Mata. Hazard, well we know the story there....

I'd loved to have signed Moutinho. I was refreshing my computer all day at work, hoping to see it was official. Alas....

i remember reading a fanzine when i was younger which had a list of players we'd supposedly turned down while Francis was manager - at the time i took it as gospel, being a kid - but realize now they probably weren't as dead certs as i thought. but it was like a list of who's who in football.

Zola on a free before he went to Chelsea
Zidane and Djorkaeff for 500k from Marsielles
signed Ruel Fox instead of Juninho

that's all i remember off the top of my head but there were many more

I'd loved to have signed Moutinho. I was refreshing my computer all day at work, hoping to see it was official. Alas....

I was playing a gig that night and went on stage 15 minutes before the transfer window shut. The deal was back on when I went on stage, and came off to the news we didn't get him, but had signed Clint Dempsey

Eto'o under Hoddle could have been glorious.

Pep Guardiola and Stefan Effenburg were two that were not the pipe dreams you might think and could have been slight upgrades on Allan Nielsen and Stephen Clemence.

Petit would have been handy at the time. I remember us being frequently linked with Platini in the 80's, it would have been great to see him in a Spurs shirt.

Diego, AKA The Sock.

We bought some good strikers that summer in Kanoute, Postiga and Zamora added to Robbie Keane who was already here. Problem was we didn't have anyone in the squad with the quality to provide great and consistent service.

If it wasn't for his dodgy Italian passport Hoddle might have kept his job!

stewart-downing-west-ham-united_3010045.jpg

Dennis Bergkamp. After Klinsmann, Sugar didn't want another "Carlos Kickaball"

Dennis Bergkamp. After Klinsmann, Sugar didn't want another "Carlos Kickaball"

Bergkamp for me too. Was a real watershed moment in turning Arsenal into the footballing side they are today and us languishing in mid-table mediocrity :(

Back