• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hull City Owners Wants To Re-Name Club

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Assem Allam says rebranding Hull City will help the club widen its international appeal.

As exclusively reported by the Mail this morning, owners Assem and Ehab Allam have confirmed their intention to change the official name of the club to Hull City Tigers.

They will place the emphasis on promoting their "Tigers" identity and drop "AFC" from the club name.

The confirmation comes after weeks of speculation following increased club use of an amended club badge.

Now, the Allams have confirmed they have made a conscious decision to drop "AFC" – first used when the club was established in 1904 – from all club branding going forward.

Instead, they will refer to and market the club as "Hull City Tigers" locally, and "Hull Tigers" nationally and internationally.

Vice-chairman Ehab Allam confirmed that although “AFC” will remain on the club badge for shirts this season, it will be removed thereafter.

He says any possible further amendments to the club badge will be consulted upon with fans, but stressed the club’s current identity change was being made for business reasons.

“We have dropped the AFC as it is something which has become redundant,” said Ehab Allam.

“If anything, we have looked to strengthen our club brand and identity and we have gone back to stripes on the kit for the Tigers this year.

“The identity of the club is the Tigers, the stripes, and the colour scheme of amber and black, which remains.

“We just feel that, now being on the international stage, we need to strengthen the brand identity.

“AFC is redundant, it is not used by the club, the fans never mention AFC, nor do the media.

“We have dropped something that is redundant, that is of no value, and is of no use.”

While stressing the club will use and actively look to promote the “Hull City” and “Hull City Tigers” brand, Allam accepts nobody outside of the organisation can be forced to follow suit, and says he expects many fans to continue calling the club “Hull City”.

“People have the right to call the club what they like, it’s their club,” he said.

“We are not going to fans and saying they all have to refer to us in the same way.

“They call it what they like, we will do the same, but it is for commercial reasons that we are choosing this branding. When it comes to business, there is a certain strategy.”

Owner and chairman Assem Allam insists the change will help the club widen its international appeal, admitting he would prefer the club to be known simply as Hull Tigers.

“Hull City is irrelevant. My dislike to the word City is because it is common,” he said.

“City is also associated with Leicester, Bristol, Manchester and many other clubs.

“There are so many teams with the same identity, it is irrelevant. “I don’t like being like everyone else. I want the club to be special.

“In the commercial world, the shorter name, the better. The more it can spread quickly.

“I have always used short names in business. It gives you power in the science in marketing. The shorter, the more powerful the message. In Tigers, we have a really strong brand.

“It is about identity. City is a lousy identity. Hull City Association Football Club is so long.”

Managing director Nick Thompson, who confirmed the club matchday programme will be entitled “Up The Tigers” this season, with no reference to Hull City, said he remains aware of fans concerns over the change, with many already voicing their opposition.

However, he has urged them to allow time to get used to the change, and pointed to the fact that the club badge has changed many times over the 109-year history – although always centred on Tigers.

“I’d urge fans to judge it in the fullness of time,” he said.

www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-Tigers...y-s-dropping/story-19637882-detail/story.html

Re: O/T Hull City Owners Wants To Re-Name Club

Hull City were the only team in the Football League that you couldn't colour in any of the letters of the team name. All that is gone now

I don't have too much of an issue with this. They are keeping the Hull name, and the Tiger has been on the badge from day one. Hull Tigers is probably a bit more marketable for them... shame they can do nothing about the city itself!

Sweet jesus, someone stop them before it's too late. Let nicknames be nicknames, and stop interfering with decades of tradition and history to fuel these ridiculous ideas of branding and world markets. What's next, Tottenham Spurs? Manchester Devils? Arsenal Gunners? Chelski Oilers? Liverpool Thieves? Saudi Sportswashing Machine Prisoners?

fudging hell.

Sweet jesus, someone stop them before it's too late. Let nicknames be nicknames, and stop interfering with decades of tradition and history to fuel these ridiculous ideas of branding and world markets. What's next, Tottenham Spurs? Manchester Devils? Arsenal Gunners? Chelski Oilers? Liverpool Thieves? Saudi Sportswashing Machine Prisoners?

fudging hell.

Following Hull's example, I think we'd be the Tottenham Hotspur Chirpies.

fudging hell.

This! If it ever comes to this brick, I'm out.

I don't have too much of an issue with this. They are keeping the Hull name, and the Tiger has been on the badge from day one. Hull Tigers is probably a bit more marketable for them... shame they can do nothing about the city itself!

Genuine question - would you mind if we officially became the Tottenham ****erels?

I know I would.

I do have an issue with this, and it ties in with the 'boycott' thread - teams being treated as businesses rather than football clubs.

Although as someone else has said, there is something funny about Hull imagining themselves as some sort of global brand :lol:

Then again, maybe I won't be laughing when they spend a brick load of their rich owner's money and take 'our' place in the top four... (like The Citizens did...)

Genuine question - would you mind if we officially became the Tottenham ****erels?

I know I would.

I do have an issue with this, and it ties in with the 'boycott' thread - teams being treated as businesses rather than football clubs.

Although as someone else has said, there is something funny about Hull imagining themselves as some sort of global brand :lol:

Then again, maybe I won't be laughing when they spend a brick load of their rich owner's money and take 'our' place in the top four... (like The Citizens did...)

Tottenham C ocks.

Brand that, suckers.

Assem Allam says rebranding Hull City will help the club widen its international appeal.

As exclusively reported by the Mail this morning, owners Assem and Ehab Allam have confirmed their intention to change the official name of the club to Hull City Tigers.

They will place the emphasis on promoting their "Tigers" identity and drop "AFC" from the club name.

The confirmation comes after weeks of speculation following increased club use of an amended club badge.

Now, the Allams have confirmed they have made a conscious decision to drop "AFC" – first used when the club was established in 1904 – from all club branding going forward.

Instead, they will refer to and market the club as "Hull City Tigers" locally, and "Hull Tigers" nationally and internationally.

Vice-chairman Ehab Allam confirmed that although “AFC” will remain on the club badge for shirts this season, it will be removed thereafter.

He says any possible further amendments to the club badge will be consulted upon with fans, but stressed the club’s current identity change was being made for business reasons.

“We have dropped the AFC as it is something which has become redundant,” said Ehab Allam.

“If anything, we have looked to strengthen our club brand and identity and we have gone back to stripes on the kit for the Tigers this year.

“The identity of the club is the Tigers, the stripes, and the colour scheme of amber and black, which remains.

“We just feel that, now being on the international stage, we need to strengthen the brand identity.

“AFC is redundant, it is not used by the club, the fans never mention AFC, nor do the media.

“We have dropped something that is redundant, that is of no value, and is of no use.”

While stressing the club will use and actively look to promote the “Hull City” and “Hull City Tigers” brand, Allam accepts nobody outside of the organisation can be forced to follow suit, and says he expects many fans to continue calling the club “Hull City”.

“People have the right to call the club what they like, it’s their club,” he said.

“We are not going to fans and saying they all have to refer to us in the same way.

“They call it what they like, we will do the same, but it is for commercial reasons that we are choosing this branding. When it comes to business, there is a certain strategy.”

Owner and chairman Assem Allam insists the change will help the club widen its international appeal, admitting he would prefer the club to be known simply as Hull Tigers.

“Hull City is irrelevant. My dislike to the word City is because it is common,” he said.

“City is also associated with Leicester, Bristol, Manchester and many other clubs.

“There are so many teams with the same identity, it is irrelevant. “I don’t like being like everyone else. I want the club to be special.

“In the commercial world, the shorter name, the better. The more it can spread quickly.

“I have always used short names in business. It gives you power in the science in marketing. The shorter, the more powerful the message. In Tigers, we have a really strong brand.

“It is about identity. City is a lousy identity. Hull City Association Football Club is so long.”

Managing director Nick Thompson, who confirmed the club matchday programme will be entitled “Up The Tigers” this season, with no reference to Hull City, said he remains aware of fans concerns over the change, with many already voicing their opposition.

However, he has urged them to allow time to get used to the change, and pointed to the fact that the club badge has changed many times over the 109-year history – although always centred on Tigers.

“I’d urge fans to judge it in the fullness of time,” he said.

www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-Tigers...y-s-dropping/story-19637882-detail/story.html

Makes sense, they aren't athletic and are barely a football club \o/

fudging hell.

Well our new American coach on NBC did call us Tottenham Spurs!!!

Who cares what they are called, they're still the only team named after the river the town they come from is on rather than after the town itself.

Who cares what they are called, they're still the only team named after the river the town they come from is on rather than after the town itself.

The river Hull City AFC, marvellous

The Cardiff change was a dramatic one, this seems minor. Who cares if the FC or AFC is part of the badge? I can remember if FC is on ours, come to think about it. Using the nickname is a bit of a change for most clubs, but we have done that since shortlty after our foundation* and Arsenal dropped their place name.

* If you read some early accounts of Spurs we were referred to as the Hotspurs. It was only later that this became shortened and we became uppity if someone referred to us as Tottenham Hotspurs.

actually i thought Hull City Tigers would have worked well for them just as the Los Angeles lakers...Then again you have clubs like us and our neighbours Arsenal, who've done well without our location in the name.

I can see a few others following. Not a big fan of it, did it with Rugby League, although my hometown team are now called Warrington Wolves, they will still always be just Warrington to me, or 'The Wires' as we used to sing

Changing the name is supposed to enhance their global appeal? Maybe having a decent side, staying in the prem for 20 years and playing European football year in year out could do it too?

Anyway, the AFC bit doesn't matter, its the Hull part that's the problem. Talk about polishing a turd.

Would an actor called Marion Morrison have had the same success as John Wayne?

I like the new name. Grrrrr!!!

Back