• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Windows 8

i've always been a fan of kaspersky and nod32 in the past but these days ms security essentials is my weapon of choice

The thing is I didn't realise that these security software cost brickloads - I thought it was also a one off payment.

The great thing about the Mac is in five years I never got one bug or virus and it was safe as houses.

The Mrs laptop needs replacing, it really is falling to bits.

Being someone that likes to think things through (usually forever!) i thought i'd lay down what i have discovered during the process as it really does revolve around windows 8.

There is Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 the full version. RT is more aimed at tablets but if you're looking at running any micro office or other intensive programs you will need the full version.

The hardware option:
Tablet
Ultrabook with touchscreen
Laptop/Keyboard/Tablet convertible (detached, flip etc) (dell xps 12, lenovo yoga thingy etc) all with touch screen
Laptop
Laptop with touchscreen (non detachable) (Asus)
All-in-one pc (usually about 23" screen) (HP, Samsung etc)

The main issue is they have pressed on with Windows 8 knowing that you will get a whole load more out of it via a touchscreen. The problem for buyers now (ie me) is the covertible laptops really are a premium price (north of £800) for not that great a spec.
The same applies to the all-in-ones, basically a desktop bundled into one case for £700+ with really poor spec.
I know they look great and its a new way of designing things but 12 months time and they will be the norm and prices will have tumbled.
BUT getting a straightforward laptop again, feels like i'm missing the benefits of Windows 8. although core i7 models are around for £500.
Its almost if the hardware is catching up with the software. And we are in an expensive little peak for anything that looks clever and shiny.
Any thoughts?

The Mrs laptop needs replacing, it really is falling to bits.

Being someone that likes to think things through (usually forever!) i thought i'd lay down what i have discovered during the process as it really does revolve around windows 8.

There is Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 the full version. RT is more aimed at tablets but if you're looking at running any micro office or other intensive programs you will need the full version.

The hardware option:
Tablet
Ultrabook with touchscreen
Laptop/Keyboard/Tablet convertible (detached, flip etc) (dell xps 12, lenovo yoga thingy etc) all with touch screen
Laptop
Laptop with touchscreen (non detachable) (Asus)
All-in-one pc (usually about 23" screen) (HP, Samsung etc)

The main issue is they have pressed on with Windows 8 knowing that you will get a whole load more out of it via a touchscreen. The problem for buyers now (ie me) is the covertible laptops really are a premium price (north of £800) for not that great a spec.
The same applies to the all-in-ones, basically a desktop bundled into one case for £700+ with really poor spec.
I know they look great and its a new way of designing things but 12 months time and they will be the norm and prices will have tumbled.
BUT getting a straightforward laptop again, feels like i'm missing the benefits of Windows 8. although core i7 models are around for £500.
Its almost if the hardware is catching up with the software. And we are in an expensive little peak for anything that looks clever and shiny.
Any thoughts?

For the Mrs?

I assume it will only get used for Facebook and looking up recipes, so get the surface ;)

For the Mrs?

I assume it will only get used for Facebook and looking up recipes, so get the surface ;)

No no no! It's for running her little empire, to be honest if the current one busts, she'll probably have a mini breakdown. Just annoyed the choice has been blurred.

Has the full W8 version of the surface......well how can i put this......surfaced yet :) ?

Not quite

Office 2013 on the Surface RT is very good

So she can do spreadsheets, powerpoints, word documents and onenote

I wouldn't rule it out completely

Surface Pro is a different beast

Battery life is terrible apparently and far below that of ultra books.

For 90% of people the Surface RT would probably suffice.

Supposedly big updates coming this year as well, MS are moving to more annual updates than a big new version every 2-3 years so any of the bugs etc will be ironed out fairly soon.

I used to have a mac and still have it but thought id buy a laptop this time round - sony vaio has windows 8 on it. The first hour I was so fudgein confused and perplexed by it. But gotta say I fudgein love it. Maybe because it makes a change from dealing with a Mac for so long an got bored of it but I really do like using this windows 8. Been getting used to it and have added a few shortcuts to help like 'GHod mode' and 'Shut down' etc and sorted out my start screen etc.

8/10.

What I would like to know is - which anti virus software to use? Mcafee? Norton? dont know any others.

Bit late I know but I believe Microsoft Security Essentials is built into Windows 8 so you don't need anything.

Not yet. I have a Surface RT with typepad at the moment plus my regular laptop

My company is making the Pro available through a "gross salary" purchase, so I can effectively get one half price

However, having read this review, I might just wait for V2.0 and stick with the RT for now

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3857076/microsoft-surface-pro-in-depth-impressions

I'd consider the Samsung ATIV personally. I've had a play with it and, as an ultrabook, it feels much more sturdy and usable than the surface imo:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tablet/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-pro-700t.aspx

Having said that, for the money, I am personally waiting a little longer for a slightly better performing hybrid machine. I'd happily stick the missus on the 500 series ATIV though.

Back