• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

Not for me, his defensive work is poor and his delivery in the final third is nothing to write home about. But. It’s all expectations.

Listening to Stephen Hunt (ex Hull) talk about Doherty a few days ago.
Admittedly Hunt is a mate of Doherty.
Said Doherty's defensive style didn't suit Mourinho.
Mourinho wants players to defend aggressively and commit themselves whereas Doherty is a stand off and wait for the player to make a mistake type of defender.

Doherty felt ill all during the Portugal game. Hopefully it's not covid but at least it's not an injury he went off with.
He should start tomorrow at home to Azerbaijan.

Mourinho wants players to defend aggressively and commit themselves whereas Doherty is a stand off and wait for the player to make a mistake type of defender.

Doherty felt ill all during the Portugal game. Hopefully it's not covid but at least it's not an injury he went off with.
I was talking about Reguilon.

Doherty is not a good player mate, not being mean but honestly he can't start for us.

In preseason, an unfit, unmotivated, wanting out Aurier replaced him in a game and looked 10X the player immediately, Tanganga looks better than him, Paskotsi looks better than him.

Spurs in recent times have bought players that are either technically gifted or athletes, Doherty is neither, the only rational explanation is Jose expected to be playing 3 CBs and Doherty was going to do his Wolves role, then we bought Reguilon so reverted to 4 at back, been a mismatch from day 1.

I expect he gets bench time, perhaps a Europe away start and we look to offload him in January, at 29 he's just not worth the time investment anymore.

You're always so negative about so many of our players I can understand how he lost track of who you were talking about.
I support all ‘our’ players but I'm not blind as to their respective qualities and on the flip side their shortcomings.

Well suited to a very different role and system. If we keep with this system I think he will remain a fairly obvious third choice.

He just looks devoid of any confidence. Maybe being at Wolves and that being his only professional club for so long gave him comfort he needed to relax and perform, but he is now overawed by his status amongst the squad and the expectations of the club / fans. On his debut he looked technically competent but now he can barely cross a ball unchallenged.

Possibly the same issue for Sessegnon. And you’d imagine Mourinho could create a culture that made players nervous of making a mistake.

Looked a completely different player for Ireland last night.

He has played really well in 5 of his 6 Ireland games this season.
5 of them have been at right wing back.
This has been as well as he's ever played for Ireland.
Interestingly his best game was at left wing back against Portugal in September.

Let's be honest. We signed a wing back. Then played him at full back. He is good going forward, average defence as a full back.

If he ever had a chance it's now. I see him behind Royale but I'd like to think Tanganga is one of the the centre backs when he plays. Especially on the right side seeing how much our outside centre backs have license to push forward.

Royal started slowly. Moreover we has a number of Thursday and Sunday games, some rotation wouldn't hurt. If we played with 5 at the back that is. Especially as we were still looking for a winning formula, just surprised that Doherty was largely ignored thats all.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Royal started slowly. Moreover we has a number of Thursday and Sunday games, some rotation wouldn't hurt. If we played with 5 at the back that is. Especially as we were still looking for a winning formula, just surprised that Doherty was largely ignored thats all.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
Agree he is a wing back so if ever he was going to have a chance it would be now. But he has been awful for us and that is being kind, and it has nothing to do with him playing full back instead of wing back - he is just slow, poor on the ball and just incapable of doing the basics that he should be able to execute regardless of the role he is playing. However it’s a new chapter for everyone so let’s see, Conte gave him 20 minutes at LWB against Everton which says something - Conte won’t be giving players minutes for the sake of it….

Back