• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

What doesn't make sense to me is how they (Arsenal transfer team / board) thought Auba and Lacazette in the same squad makes sense..

We can love to hate them but both (usually) prolific enough for a CL team (not solely EPL teams) but as a partnership they are dross. Lot of squad issues to fix but having two similar aging overpaid strikers is an odd move; ideally they won't fix it for a while!

We hardly ruined them though. I think if they accept that they have to unravel years of mismanagement. overspending and the need for a complete overhaul they stick with Arteta, the man they themselves identified and work through it. There was no way they were getting top 4 this year, too many better clubs regardless. If they sacked him and started yet again they would be throwing fuel onto the fire even further.
why is Arteta any different to Sherwood, Ljunberg, Phelan, Kidd, Di Matteo or Quiroz for example?

I mean, he could turn out to be the next Pep, but I just don’t get why or where this belief that he will be any different to the numerous other failed number 2’s comes from. He has had an incredible amount of goodwill/leeway from the media from day one.

If they wanted someone to navigate a transition they should have just stuck with Emery, at least he’s had a proven track record in other leagues, which is more than Arteta has.

sorry for the semi rant, it’s just this media love affair with Arteta baffles me, I’ve no idea what it’s based off.

why is Arteta any different to Sherwood, Ljunberg, Phelan, Kidd, Di Matteo or Quiroz for example?

I mean, he could turn out to be the next Pep, but I just don’t get why or where this belief that he will be any different to the numerous other failed number 2’s comes from. He has had an incredible amount of goodwill/leeway from the media from day one.

If they wanted someone to navigate a transition they should have just stuck with Emery, at least he’s had a proven track record in other leagues, which is more than Arteta has.

sorry for the semi rant, it’s just this media love affair with Arteta baffles me, I’ve no idea what it’s based off.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen nothing from his team or him that suggests he could be the next Pep. I'm baffled by it. It's like someone decided that he had to be good if he worked with Pep and everyone else is afraid of being caught with their pants down so went along with it.

Another general point sort of Woolwich related. You hear experts say all the time that stability is imperative and Fergie and Wenger are held up as proof of that point.

But is that longevity destructive to a club? When one man is so dominant at a club, as you'd have to be to manage them for a decade or more, that they become impossible to replace because the club inevitably becomes built in their image.

It's happened at Woolwich, its happened at United and it happened at Forest in the 90s after Clough. Is that sort of model really bad for a football club over the longer term?

Managers have to come from somewhere, for all you name that fail loads work. The culture Arsenal are choosing is failing them not the manager

Managers have to come from somewhere, for all you name that fail loads work. The culture Arsenal are choosing is failing them not the manager
Yea I get that, I just don’t understand why so many are convinced Arteta will work. I asked back when he was appointed as well why it seemed unanimous in the media that Arsenal had pulled off some sort of coup to get him. What is the confidence in him based off that other first time managers aren’t afforded?

Couldn't agree more. I've seen nothing from his team or him that suggests he could be the next Pep. I'm baffled by it. It's like someone decided that he had to be good if he worked with Pep and everyone else is afraid of being caught with their pants down so went along with it.

Another general point sort of Woolwich related. You hear experts say all the time that stability is imperative and Fergie and Wenger are held up as proof of that point.

But is that longevity destructive to a club? When one man is so dominant at a club, as you'd have to be to manage them for a decade or more, that they become impossible to replace because the club inevitably becomes built in their image.

It's happened at Woolwich, its happened at United and it happened at Forest in the 90s after Clough. Is that sort of model really bad for a football club over the longer term?
It’s massively destructive but can be hugely rewarding too
When a club becomes reliant on one person... it’s a point of failure
Even if that person is the managers who wins everything it can’t last
What they do next carries baggage and expectation and in lots of cases the legacy too of that man still be on the scene somewhere which cant help

The hype machine off the back of the mighty money man, Pep.
Pep revolutionalised the game. He invented pressing and attacking with full backs
His success is nothing at all to do with spending more money than anyone else, it really isn’t
And that why Arteta is going to fail. He is trying to implement things with the wrong puzzle pieces and they can’t afford to write off the ones they have (unlike pep)
It leaves dead wood and some ageing, high paid players

Yea I get that, I just don’t understand why so many are convinced Arteta will work. I asked back when he was appointed as well why it seemed unanimous in the media that Arsenal had pulled off some sort of coup to get him. What is the confidence in him based off that other first time managers aren’t afforded?

I get that but until he has had a period of time you dont know either that he is going to fail totally. Like I have said Ozil sitting out on a huge contract, their last years starters are around Europe on loan and they are not really spending much. From Wengers last few years to now hardly been a club where the manager just comes in like Pep, Mancini or Pellegrini and transition from winning mentality to winning.

They need a culture change and whoever gets the job needs 3/4 years.

Emery was not a bad manager, proved before and since. Made a pantomime villain for how he spoke.

Last edited:

You are truly silly! Do you realise Arteta worked with Pep Guardiola how can it fail?

I get that but until he has had a period of time you dont know either that he is going to fail totally. Like I have said Ozil sitting out on a huge contract, their last years starters are around Europe on loan and they are not really spending much. From Wengers last few years to now hardly been a club where the manager just comes in like Pep, Mancini or Pellegrini and transition from winning meteorology to winning.

They need a culture change and whoever gets the job needs 3/4 years.
Yea I’m actually not saying I think he’s definitely going to be a failure, just that we need to see how it plays out. What I’m querying is why/how he seems to have started off his career, before he’d even managed a game, with this reputation that you can trust him to rebuild a club the size of Arsenal? What is that confidence in him based off?

good podcast on Rule the Roost with a Gooner and they discuss AFTV, and the fact that when Arsenal are playing well, AFTV get less hits etc so it benefits them more when Arsenal are brick and playing poorly so they can go ape brick online for the clicks.

Also, how the fudge is Troopz now making things. Guys a massive bell end. Just shows that you can be a useless dingdonghead with a big mouth and still be successful without any actual skill or knowledge about anything.

On the Gooner front, Willian on a 3 year contract for 250k, looked dodgey when signed, now though, jeez. Auba also looks a shadow of himself. Long may it continue.

Surely this the key ingredient. Their fans see his childish ranting as “passion” and opposition fans tune in to watch him melt down when they fail to perform. I know most wouldn’t considering wetting one’s pants online, for the amusement of strangers, a noble calling, but once your self respect is gone it is just about monetizing your own humiliation I suppose.

Back