• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

How do you get to the final of the CL without getting over the line in big games?

Of course the response will be that eventually he lost out in the biggest game of them all but that kinda ignores the steps taken to get there in the first place - and if you're going to hold that opinion then truly the only big games he lost out in were the CL final and the LC final which will obviously contradict the point entirely.

A great of Luck, mainly.

OK.
But again, stop moaning and just get behind them!!! :D:D:D

I am fully behind the team. It appears you are not. Do I like or enjoy the football atm - no. Do I think it is all Mourinho’s fault - no. Am I prepared to give him a chance - yes.

It appears you ( and others) are not.

I was at the away game, so just to add some context (if nobody minds) it was one of the first few games of the season and nobody was racing for anything just yet. Bizarre match. We scored and then gave up the equalizer 60 seconds later. The home game? Their winner would've been disallowed today as Vertonghan was shoved out of the way at the set-piece to allow Huth a free header. We were robbed.

i agree on the first point - second less so - just shows how mentally weak we were - we had 90 minutes to score and we didn’t - heads completely dropped after it.

How do you get to the final of the CL without getting over the line in big games?

Of course the response will be that eventually he lost out in the biggest game of them all but that kinda ignores the steps taken to get there in the first place - and if you're going to hold that opinion then truly the only big games he lost out in were the CL final and the LC final which will obviously contradict the point entirely and boil it down to my initial point - people are saying trophies are the only measure of success and fudge context.

Trophies should not be the only barometer of success but I do believe they are and always should be the main currency when discussing managers at the top end of the table.

I’ve never said we didn’t any big games, but we didn’t win enough of them. I’m not just referring to semis and finals, I also mean games where a win would have taken us top of the league; West Ham away and arsenal at home in 2015/16 followed by Bournemouth away in 2016/17. A win would have taken us top and we served up some of the worst performances of the season. I don’t think that’s a coincidence personally. You might argue it’s a small sample but when added to the semis and finals we lost then it becomes a pattern IMO.

I’ll say again he’s definitely one of the top managers in the game, but no.1? Not for me no.

Trophies should not be the only barometer of success but I do believe they are and always should be the main currency when discussing managers at the top end of the table.

I’ve never said we didn’t any big games, but we didn’t win enough of them. I’m not just referring to semis and finals, I also mean games where a win would have taken us top of the league; West Ham away and arsenal at home in 2015/16 followed by Bournemouth away in 2016/17. A win would have taken us top and we served up some of the worst performances of the season. I don’t think that’s a coincidence personally. You might argue it’s a small sample but when added to the semis and finals we lost then it becomes a pattern IMO.

I’ll say again he’s definitely one of the top managers in the game, but no.1? Not for me no.

You seem to be debating an opinion no one has put forward?

If you agree that trophies aren't the only measure of success and that you think Poch is one of the best managers in the game off the back of his time at Spurs then presumably you must agree with my initial point that his time here was a success, and we can leave it there?

I certainly question it. Poch Mk2 was a disaster. I think it will be interesting to see which Poch turns up at his next job.

I think he earned the right to have a bad season/12 months personally. In theory I think it was perfectly reasonable to let him clear up the mess we had become in the league since January 2019. In practice however I think the players stopped listening to him or something bigger happened which meant the chances of him rectifying it at Spurs became slimmer with each defeat so whilst I disagreed with the sacking at the time, looking back I think it was the correct decision.

That doesn’t mean I think hiring Jose was correct however.

You seem to be debating an opinion no one has put forward?

If you agree that trophies aren't the only measure of success and that you think Poch is one of the best managers in the game off the back of his time at Spurs then presumably you must agree with my initial point that his time here was a success, and we can leave it there?

I don’t ever recall saying he wasn’t a success. I just disagreed with people at the time saying he was the best pound for pound manager in the game.

Is there something wrong with putting forward views no one else has? Isn’t that kind of what places like this are for?

Unfortunately the game is all about winning things - You know, glory glory Tottenham and all that? No one is saying Poch didn’t do a good job here. But the game is all about winning things, that is the point. You don’t see Spurs listing finishing in the top 4 in their honours list or getting to a final. Players want to win things, if you think Kane is going to be happy in twenty years time looking back and telling his kids oh I remember the years where we consistently got top 4, got to a couple of finals and almost won something then you are wrong. It’s why all the ‘Let’s laugh at Arsenal’ type threads were embarrassing when even during their poor periods they have still been collecting trophies, we finish top 4 for a couple of years for the first time in our history and some fans started looking down on Arsenal and Chelsea as if we had surpassed them without actually winning anything - until we start winning trophies more than on a once every twenty year basis we aren’t going to be considered a truly big club....

tickle my balls with a feather.

I don’t ever recall saying he wasn’t a success. I just disagreed with people at the time saying he was the best pound for pound manager in the game.

Is there something wrong with putting forward views no one else has? Isn’t that kind of what places like this are for?

I meant you were arguing against an opinion no one has put forward. Sorry for the confusion.

Unfortunately the game is all about winning things - You know, glory glory Tottenham and all that? No one is saying Poch didn’t do a good job here. But the game is all about winning things, that is the point. You don’t see Spurs listing finishing in the top 4 in their honours list or getting to a final. Players want to win things, if you think Kane is going to be happy in twenty years time looking back and telling his kids oh I remember the years where we consistently got top 4, got to a couple of finals and almost won something then you are wrong. It’s why all the ‘Let’s laugh at Arsenal’ type threads were embarrassing when even during their poor periods they have still been collecting trophies, we finish top 4 for a couple of years for the first time in our history and some fans started looking down on Arsenal and Chelsea as if we had surpassed them without actually winning anything - until we start winning trophies more than on a once every twenty year basis we aren’t going to be considered a truly big club....
Many of us have different marks for what ‘success’ is. I still hate that we didn’t win the league when Leicester won it and that the CL final was such a damp squid. And that Poch’s team lost to cheat$ki in the league cup and all the other silverware we didn’t win. However, that dodsn’t stop me LOVING so many of the moments under Poch.

And yes, memories are not trophies. Top 4 is also not a trophy. BUT, remember that Spurs, as a club, have NEVER dominated in terms of actually winning competitions. The double side only won the league once - despite all the other pots they won. The teams of the 80’s didn’t win as much as they should have. It’s part of the DNA of this club we are all bonded to. And I’ll be shocked if it ever changes. In my opinion, we are among ‘the best of the rest’. And probably always will be. We have NEVER dominated like United, Emirates Marketing Project, Goons, Cheat$ki. Hence, my bar for enjoying what the club does is where it is.

And I don’t give a toss whether any non spurs fan views us as ‘a truly big club’ or a joke or anything else. If that’s important to you that is your right. But for me, it’s what WE think of the club that matters, not what others do.

COYS!!!!

Nah . It was in our hands. The games against Leicester were critical in that season. We drew away and lost at home. So, one point to us and fourvto Leicester. Win both those games and 6 to us and none to Leicester. A 9 point swing.

Well in that case it was in Arsenal's hands as well. They were in front of us at one point and even when they were in third a few points behind us , IF they had beaten us and Leicester and won all their other games in the run in they would have won the league.
And if after the first game every team had won their games they would have been champions too. Too easy to simplify it as if the games against Leicester decided the league and why should we have got six points off them and not three each?
At the end of the day , for whatever reason , we felt quite a way short., behind Arsenal too.

No, 2 games isn’t close to winning anything

if you said that near anyone that’s successful they would laugh at you.

But that isn’t the full picture.

Ramos and Graham won a trophy and I would not consider either reigns a success.

I would in the context of Spurs consider Poch reign a huge success as he for a long sustained period have us in a place where I was going to games for the first time in 20 odd years week in week out knowing we could win with more than hope. Reversed and consistently closed the gap on 20 years of regression and did so against teams well and above us in the food chain. I’m not saying that we were not on the curve up but he managed to do it season in season out and for a few we lost a handful of games. And the context is we are not Man United, my Everest was seeing a decent Spurs consistently and he did that and then some until the end when it gassed.

If you look at the years he was here it is the highest punching Spurs side season on season since the 60s in the league, we also had great European campaigns above and beyond any of my own personal wildest dreams. He got us to our first EVER European Cup final in 100+ years, we lost it, but as Spurs and for what that campaign was that was huge, we have no history in that comp, it isn’t the same as going to the league cup final and losing, he was the first manager in all the greats to take us to that final, the luck call is BS we legitimately in the 4 walls of what the game is made that final.

Danny Rose said in the Evening Standard that he didn’t realise what Poch meant about the League Cup being insignificant compared to going deep in the CL until we went deep and then he agreed.

So I’m not laughing at the idea that not winning anything is seen as success because I loved the Poch years more than 14th and a cup win

I am fully behind the team. It appears you are not. Do I like or enjoy the football atm - no. Do I think it is all Mourinho’s fault - no. Am I prepared to give him a chance - yes.

It appears you ( and others) are not.

Your support would be even more powerful if you didn't complain and invent scenarios regarding the past and also complain about "dissenters". So much negativity! COYS!

If Mourinho can't bring glory to us, not sure who else can. As long as Levy is the chairman, don't think any manager can succeed at Spurs.

Back