• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I personally do not like our current style of play, I'vè always subscribed to Danny Blanchflowers philosophy, to paraphrase it " football not all about winning, is about glory and doing it with style, not boring the opponents to death"

In the 60 odd years I've been following Spurs we've mainly tried to play in that way, sure most of the time it's not worked out in terms of silverware but it's been fun. We aren't know for great defenders or midfield destroyers but creative attacking players.

Our current manager likes to play in a controlled style based on a solid defence, most of the players in our squad dont easily fit into that style and it's going to be a tough time for us all until or if he can get a team here playing his way on a regular basis.

I hope he is successful here and brings the trophies everyone (including me) wants but I dont think it's going to be an easy watch at times.

yep its going to be dirty on the eyes but we have the best manager on paper in charge of us in decades. If we cant get vincent kompany in then i say we stick with him and give him what he wants.

Arsenal did not have one single accurate cross in to the box today. That's got to be a rarity and, considering Mourinho's post-match quote about how Bellerin and Tierney were kept quiet, a clear indicator that he felt using our team to shackle the wingbacks was a major route to success. It seems to have worked.

Read/listened to a lot of about the change in formation to 4-4-2 for the Arsenal game which seemed to make us perform far better at least offensively (albeit not quite freee flowing attacking football).

But full credit to Jose for making that change, better finishing and decision making we could have bagged few more. That's more of what we should be expecting from him. I have no issues playing deep against bigger teams but want more flexibility going forward against 'lower' ranked teams.

Credit where it's due, he tweaked the formation and it worked.

Don’t like the negative tactics especially against mid table or relegation teams but very happy with the win even if we did ride our luck a little at times.
What was negative about yesterday?

we had more chances/build up play

no team dominates for 90 minutes - we don’t have the players to dominate

Playing on the counter at home against a mid table side. Going forward I’d like to see us be a bit more proactive, especially at home.

Well it was great to have won yesterday ( and not just because it was the Arse), it shows that Jose has a plan for us ( lets hope it get some of the moaners who dislike him of his back). The team was is a hell of a mess when Poch left ( and i am not saying it was all Pochs fault) and it WILL take time to sort out.

Thankfully there have been good signs since the restart and IF we give him the time to finish his work i can see improvement coming.

I personally do not like our current style of play, I'vè always subscribed to Danny Blanchflowers philosophy, to paraphrase it " football not all about winning, is about glory and doing it with style, not boring the opponents to death"

In the 60 odd years I've been following Spurs we've mainly tried to play in that way, sure most of the time it's not worked out in terms of silverware but it's been fun. We aren't know for great defenders or midfield destroyers but creative attacking players.

Our current manager likes to play in a controlled style based on a solid defence, most of the players in our squad dont easily fit into that style and it's going to be a tough time for us all until or if he can get a team here playing his way on a regular basis.

I hope he is successful here and brings the trophies everyone (including me) wants but I dont think it's going to be an easy watch at times.

The difficulty for me is that if we have to suffer the style of football and he ends up without any trophies then it’s going to be a long haul and difficult to watch. For me this has to be a choice of winning over style.

People say the games purely about winnings things and that it doesn’t matter how, they are correct but that’s based on winning things, if we don’t and the footballs as turgid as it has been then I will give my nephew my season ticket most weeks.

Read/listened to a lot of about the change in formation to 4-4-2 for the Arsenal game which seemed to make us perform far better at least offensively (albeit not quite freee flowing attacking football).

But full credit to Jose for making that change, better finishing and decision making we could have bagged few more. That's more of what we should be expecting from him. I have no issues playing deep against bigger teams but want more flexibility going forward against 'lower' ranked teams.

Agreed. That he made the change is a sign, because for him to be successful here he is going to have to change himself to a larger degree than he'd like.

People just repeat what pundits say, most modern football players haven't got a clue about football only bits of the professional game, I like millions of others paid to play on Saturday and Sunday after doing a weeks work and despite terrible facilities and long tedious journeys loved every minute, win lose or draw. The vast majority of those players did not play to win trophies or be a winner, they turned out each week because they loved this beautiful game, and that is what football is about, having a good time with mates (and some arseholes). I dont want to be associated with all the United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Wolwich fan who think they are entitled to win and get no joy out of the game if they dont.

People just repeat what pundits say, most modern football players haven't got a clue about football only bits of the professional game, I like millions of others paid to play on Saturday and Sunday after doing a weeks work and despite terrible facilities and long tedious journeys loved every minute, win lose or draw. The vast majority of those players did not play to win trophies or be a winner, they turned out each week because they loved this beautiful game, and that is what football is about, having a good time with mates (and some arseholes). I dont want to be associated with all the United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Wolwich fan who think they are entitled to win and get no joy out of the game if they dont.

That’s why I love Poch reign, we did it with a style and he did it with class.

Those that say success is gauged on trophies are putting him under Ramos and Graham and on a level with Gross, that can’t be possible for which means, as I have said, there is context, it isn’t as black and white as win a trophy and you are successful.

I had for example longer periods of euphoria under Poch for longer sustained periods such as the week in week outs we were slaughtering teams by half time than I did with the league cup wins which were sandwiched with us turning up to crap holes and being turned over.

The difficulty for me is that if we have to suffer the style of football and he ends up without any trophies then it’s going to be a long haul and difficult to watch. For me this has to be a choice of winning over style.

People say the games purely about winnings things and that it doesn’t matter how, they are correct but that’s based on winning things, if we don’t and the footballs as turgid as it has been then I will give my nephew my season ticket most weeks.

But if we do win something..?

That’s why I love Poch reign, we did it with a style and he did it with class.

Those that say success is gauged on trophies are putting him under Ramos and Graham and on a level with Gross, that can’t be possible for which means, as I have said, there is context, it isn’t as black and white as win a trophy and you are successful.

I had for example longer periods of euphoria under Poch for longer sustained periods such as the week in week outs we were slaughtering teams by half time than I did with the league cup wins which were sandwiched with us turning up to crap holes and being turned over.
Agree with you regarding Poch - as great as winning a trophy is, for the majority of the season you are playing league football and for the majority of the time we was winning league games which meant most weekends we were happy bunnies.

However, like it or not for Poch to be considered a truly top coach he has to win trophies. Over achieving, being an underdog and outperforming expectations is one thing - but to actually win trophies, getting over the line is another level hence why we never succeeded doing so under him. We had lower expectations, there was less pressure on Poch than his rivals and when there was expectations because we had got to a position where we could really achieve we flopped. That is where the likes of Mourinho, Pep et al far exceed him. Yes, they have had more money to spend etc we all know that and that of course can't be discounted, but with that comes a lot more pressure to deliver in the very biggest events which they do regularly. Not to say Poch cant, but thats what he has to do one way or another to show he really is one of the best. Its like being a top striker, the hardest thing to do in football is actually put the ball in the back of the net. That's why the top strikers are valued the most, and why Jose etc get paid the most. They are finishers. I really hope Poch becomes one too.....

100% this. tickle my balls with a feather job.

Agreed. That he made the change is a sign, because for him to be successful here he is going to have to change himself to a larger degree than he'd like.

I'm a bit puzzled by people talking about a change in formation. We have defended in a 4-4-2 in pretty much all of the big games under Mourinho and it is how he normally sets us up to see out a lead.

I'm a bit puzzled by people talking about a change in formation. We have defended in a 4-4-2 in pretty much all of the big games under Mourinho and it is how he normally sets us up to see out a lead.

I think maybe it's the Kane and Son combo up top which made it feel more like a 4-4-2 in the traditional sense, as they're our two players closest to number nines? And I think that's the first time they've have played as the front two under Jose, in which case it might seem like a deliberate change in approach from him (obviously both players have had injury issues, but Jose could have played them as the front two against Utd (A), Chelsea (H) or Utd (H) but chose not to for those matches).

I think maybe it's the Kane and Son combo up top which made it feel more like a 4-4-2 in the traditional sense, as they're our two players closest to number nines? And I think that's the first time they've have played as the front two under Jose, in which case it might seem like a deliberate change in approach from him (obviously both players have had injury issues, but Jose could have played them as the front two against Utd (A), Chelsea (H) or Utd (H) but chose not to for those matches).

Could be. Winks and Lo Celso in the middle and Sissoko moving to RM was the big difference for me.

Could be. Winks and Lo Celso in the middle and Sissoko moving to RM was the big difference for me.

Yeah that too. Personally I'd like to see more of Winks and Lo Celso as the CM pair (at least as long as Ndombele is deemed too unfit and Skipp isn't getting much of a look in).

Also interesting that when Jose first arrived he seemed to see Sissoko as a wide midfielder rather than central, but since seems to have changed his mind.

Yeah that too. Personally I'd like to see more of Winks and Lo Celso as the CM pair (at least as long as Ndombele is deemed too unfit and Skipp isn't getting much of a look in).

Also interesting that when Jose first arrived he seemed to see Sissoko as a wide midfielder rather than central, but since seems to have changed his mind.
Their defensively much much better together than people realise but it doesn’t stand out as their not the DM machines that people think of

Back