• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Hold on, Lemar is going to Atletico? Surprised no English club - us included - couldn't outbid them. Fantastic the goons fell short, but gutted we weren't in for him. He looked deadly for France.

The Lemar deal was done months ago wasn't it? Remember them saying that in the France - Uruguay game during the world cup that Athletico had Lemar, Griezmann, Gameiro, Hernandez, Godin and Gimenez all involved....

The Lemar deal was done months ago wasn't it? Remember them saying that in the France - Uruguay game during the world cup that Athletico had Lemar, Griezmann, Gameiro, Hernandez, Godin and Gimenez all involved....

I.seem to recall it being announced a good while ago - im guessing now is just when he officially joins

We’ve been buying land around the old stadium plot for nigh on 15 years now, since the first murmurings of a stadium being built, but I thought it was so that we can demolish it and build on the site? Not that we’d have real estate to hold for profit?

Wasn't all that property transferred into a separate holding company which isn't owned by the club anymore, I think it was owned by Enic or Levy - something like that. Presumably they will make a nice chunk of money from it.

I thought Donna Cullen saying Poch's words were mis-interpreted was a silly and unnecessary thing to say. And I wouldn't be surprised if he was annoyed at it.

That said, I think our fanbase is OTT negative on the lack of activity. We have a very good squad and the last thing we want to do is add dross - or sell quality - just for the sake of activity. Let's see how things stand 10 August. I still have faith Levy will pull out the cheque book if one or two players Poch really wants are attainable.

I laugh at the furore. I mean, who could we have secured before the World Cup? Seriously? Can anyone name a mega player the manager wanted that we could’ve got before the World
Cup? I mean a mega one. Because 1-11 we have at least three 100 mil+ players (Kane, Eriksen, Alli) and several
50-70 mil ones. So WHO was available? Liverpool have bought players they feel they need, and I think they have gambled on a couple. I would love an upgrade on Llorente, but who? There is not just the talent but the balance between an earnest competitor in the squad versus a prima-dona. Sorry, it is an awkward balance and I am happy we will only sign what the manager really wants. We also have an issue with Dembele and Toby plus Wanyama. Poch wanted to create space in the squad to show targets that there was no “lock” and that space was available; I think not being able to move Moose to China was a blow. As for Toby, here’s hoping he goes
fast enough now to allow us to topple the chain. I think some folk think it is as easy as going down to Waitrose and buying some top tucker.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

^ Neither Martial or Zaha were at the WC and are seemingly on our radar

Grealish another we've been linked with, not at the WC - obviously not meeting the mega star caveat there but we have interest nontheless

Not only who we buy but we have several we need to move on that seem to be hanging round like a bad smell that weren't at the WC either - deals to be done one way or another anyway.

We need to sort our approach to transfer windows out because it's becoming farcical Steff and i don't think Poch will stick around if it continues - Liverpool are backing Klopp and showing how it should be done in the market, unless we really are skint because of the stadium (which i would begrudgingly accept tbf) there's no real excuse for this window so far - hopefully we pull something out the bag in the next week or so for it all to make sense, but im no longer confident of that happening.

I laugh at the furore. I mean, who could we have secured before the World Cup? Seriously? Can anyone name a mega player the manager wanted that we could’ve got before the World
Cup? I mean a mega one. Because 1-11 we have at least three 100 mil+ players (Kane, Eriksen, Alli) and several
50-70 mil ones. So WHO was available? Liverpool have bought players they feel they need, and I think they have gambled on a couple. I would love an upgrade on Llorente, but who? There is not just the talent but the balance between an earnest competitor in the squad versus a prima-dona. Sorry, it is an awkward balance and I am happy we will only sign what the manager really wants. We also have an issue with Dembele and Toby plus Wanyama. Poch wanted to create space in the squad to show targets that there was no “lock” and that space was available; I think not being able to move Moose to China was a blow. As for Toby, here’s hoping he goes
fast enough now to allow us to topple the chain. I think some folk think it is as easy as going down to Waitrose and buying some top tucker.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I agree it’s not easy Steff but at some point we just have to deliver the targets our coach wants or he’s not going to stick around. Every other top club does it except us, we like to make out like we are some massive club but we don’t act like one in the market - if we was we would be throwing our muscle around now and again . Instead the constant getting the best value deals and waiting until final moments of transfer market hurts us and until that approach changes we aren’t going to achieve things. Liverpool have had a great window and have signed real quality pre World Cup, Klopp is happy and can fully prepare and many won’t admit it on here but they are stronger than us. This isn’t some ungrateful rant as I’m thankful for the way Levy has developed us but he needs to reshape his model otherwise it’s not just the players but the coach who will be leaving too....

^ Neither Martial or Zaha were at the WC and are seemingly on our radar

Grealish another we've been linked with, not at the WC - obviously not meeting the mega star caveat there but we have interest nontheless

Not only who we buy but we have several we need to move on that seem to be hanging round like a bad smell that weren't at the WC either - deals to be done one way or another anyway.

We need to sort our approach to transfer windows out because it's becoming farcical Steff and i don't think Poch will stick around if it continues - Liverpool are backing Klopp and showing how it should be done in the market, unless we really are skint because of the stadium (which i would begrudgingly accept tbf) there's no real excuse for this window so far - hopefully we pull something out the bag in the next week or so for it all to make sense, but im no longer confident of that happening.

I agree that a better approach to windows would be great, but I still don't believe that we could've got anyone we need in any earlier during this particular summer. I remain skeptical that Martial was a prime-target TBH. I don't disagree that IF Poch is not getting what he wanted early doors, then we undoubtably will have a massive issue on our hands sooner than later as yes, he won't stick around for empty promises. What I am not sure of right now is whether the promises are empty, the targets who we think they are or the business getting done on the quiet.

I still subscribe to the theory that we have one of the best squads in Europe which is about to hit prime, and as such, the incomings have to be exceptionally smart and the outgoings too. Getting an understudy to Kane is very, very tough. Finding a DM with the genuine quality we need (not to mention adaptability) is hard going. I just believe that the players we need are hard to find. I agree with Grealish, I think he actually a great target and again have to hope that Poch agreed on holding fire due to another possible target we are reviewing. But as it stands, we have a full squad. Poch doesn't want a large squad in that sense, so we need to move the likes of Janssen, Moose, N'Koudo and Toby on and fast IMO. Too big a squad, with too many sitting, will cause trouble. Shaquiri? I am, prepared to bet he causes trouble if is on the bench too much.

I think it is a very, very tough one mate. I have to say, the news I want to hear in the coming weeks is that Eriksen, Alli and Verts have signed new deals too.

The ONLY concern here might be that we are watching a couple of players but cannot decide; THAT would be a problem for sure.

Martial was probably unlikely due to the tug of war on Toby with Man United.

I have always backed Levy, if you look back on threads here you will see some lengthy posts on how much but this window is not great. To not make one signing is no exactly inspiring. I don't agree with alot of the Levy hating but the one part I do partly agree with is the need to improve every season to remain competative and I worry the Leics and Chelsea campaigns are going to be the what ifs as we just have not made an improvements to the squad to keep up. I know its impossible on paper to "keep up" with City and to a lesser extent Liverpool but not making a signing show no intent.

Back