• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Levy has been fantastic for this club imho.

Thus I think we must have finatial problems, because he like the rest of us will know all to well the current situation is to put it mildly is counterproductive to the continued plans for the club, the last thing he will want for the new stadium.

I think he will have to bite the bullet and except lower fees for the player we are trying to shift.
To be sitting typing this with 9 days left to end of the window is bizarre even for Levy who I admire for his prudence in the market. The loss of momentum with the new stadium opening ect is hardly great pr.

Last edited:
I agree it’s not easy Steff but at some point we just have to deliver the targets our coach wants or he’s not going to stick around. Every other top club does it except us, we like to make out like we are some massive club but we don’t act like one in the market - if we was we would be throwing our muscle around now and again . Instead the constant getting the best value deals and waiting until final moments of transfer market hurts us and until that approach changes we aren’t going to achieve things. Liverpool have had a great window and have signed real quality pre World Cup, Klopp is happy and can fully prepare and many won’t admit it on here but they are stronger than us. This isn’t some ungrateful rant as I’m thankful for the way Levy has developed us but he needs to reshape his model otherwise it’s not just the players but the coach who will be leaving too....

Thing is mate, nobody knows who Poch's targets really are!

Sorry, until I see a little more evidence of an "unhappy manager" I won't bother wasting valuable energy on doom-departure scenarios (it feels like some -not you per se- out there are hellbent on Poch-departure anxiety as he was leaving us for Madrid in May!)...let's wait for the end of the window and see what has happened and why. I don't care about Liverpool. We finished above them in the league AGAIN last season, so frankly, they have some work to do!!! They needed a keeper and bought one, they got a bench warming skill man who absolutely NOBODY here wanted, they signed Keita a year ago which leaves Fabinho to replace the well-over 30 Milner. They had to do that business. I agree, their squad is good but the two clubs remain pretty tightly matched. I think if Wanyama's and Winks injuries are ongoing, then we will have to move short-term to address that position, although he could easily sign another AM/F and decide to pay Eriksen or Dele a little deeper until the situation resolves...

It doesn't though, because he's not a goalscorer. He's never scored double figures in a season. Llorente by contrast got 15 at Swansea in a similar setup.

He might arguably add to our (already abundant) AM options, but he's definitely not a goalscorer

Llorente is also completely unsuited to the way we play, Zaha fits it a lot better.

It doesn't though, because he's not a goalscorer. He's never scored double figures in a season. Llorente by contrast got 15 at Swansea in a similar setup.

He might arguably add to our (already abundant) AM options, but he's definitely not a goalscorer

I'm not fully convinced by Zaha yet but he is a player who seems to be one of those late bloomers. He is getting better every year and deserves the chance now to be playing with top players around him to help improve further.

Playing for Spurs he will score more and get more assists imo. He will also frustrate by keeping the ball too long, being clumsy, but we can't afford a smooth finished article so have to gamble on someone rough around the edges but at least in this case we know what we are getting.

Thing is mate, nobody knows who Poch's targets really are!

Sorry, until I see a little more evidence of an "unhappy manager" I won't bother wasting valuable energy on doom-departure scenarios (it feels like some -not you per se- out there are hellbent on Poch-departure anxiety as he was leaving us for Madrid in May!)...let's wait for the end of the window and see what has happened and why. I don't care about Liverpool. We finished above them in the league AGAIN last season, so frankly, they have some work to do!!! They needed a keeper and bought one, they got a bench warming skill man who absolutely NOBODY here wanted, they signed Keita a year ago which leaves Fabinho to replace the well-over 30 Milner. They had to do that business. I agree, their squad is good but the two clubs remain pretty tightly matched. I think if Wanyama's and Winks injuries are ongoing, then we will have to move short-term to address that position, although he could easily sign another AM/F and decide to pay Eriksen or Dele a little deeper until the situation resolves...
Absolutely agree and I’m not going to overegg Poch being unhappy. But he’s clearly stated several times we have targets, now he’s saying we might not signing anyone. You can only think he’s going to be unhappy if we don’t secure any of his targets, how unhappy none of us will know. Liverpool only just finished below us and this was whilst getting to a CL final, we was basically evenly matched last season and their only real weakness was their defence which I think is now rectified to a large extent. Pointless debating who is better right now but on paper I’d say it’s fair to suggest they’re slightly stronger squad wise. Our Cm was an issue with/without injuries, Wanyama can’t be relied upon and even our no1 DM Dier isn’t someone who couldn’t be upgraded on if we pushed the boat out. I have no doubt with a proper scouting and transfer dedicated team we could upgrade a couple of key areas in the first team without having to spend stupid money, as has been highlighted before signings isn’t Pochs strength so maybe it’s not just Levys model which is the issue but with who Poch identifies as a bit of an issue aswell. Let’s not forget struggling to shift the deadwood is an issue which are players Poch bought in himself only a season or two ago....

Zaha might not have a double figure season, but he’s shown he can score goals. I’ve no doubt his numbers would increase playing for us. Either way he’s far more mobile than Llorente and suits us far better....

Llorente is also completely unsuited to the way we play, Zaha fits it a lot better.

Does he? A dribbling winger who excels for a team that plays on the break with a big target man CF? He's already flopped at a top 6 possession-based side before

To me this has all the signs of a Llorente/Sissoko panic buy again

Zaha might not have a double figure season, but he’s shown he can score goals. I’ve no doubt his numbers would increase playing for us. Either way he’s far more mobile than Llorente and suits us far better....

Townsend was similarly a scorer of great goals, rather than a great goalscorer

Does he? A dribbling winger who excels for a team that plays on the break with a big target man CF? He's already flopped at a top 6 possession-based side before

Agree with your concerns, but hopefully Poch changes the way we approach some games. We are a bit predictable with our possession based tactics, so if we were able to have the option of playing on the break a bit more I think it would make us harder to work out and teams wouldn't be able to stop us if we could mix it up

That's a big if though. I'm not sure Poch will change. Like you say if we stick with the same approach then someone like Zaha might struggle

Poch doesn't sound happy with those quotes. I am sure the club is trying but we have an example of Liverpool doing transfers early

Liverpool spent £75m* in Jan, and £163m so far this summer. When you are able to throw money around like confetti I think its a lot easier to get transfers done early.

*£151m over the two windows last season.

^ Neither Martial or Zaha were at the WC and are seemingly on our radar

Grealish another we've been linked with, not at the WC - obviously not meeting the mega star caveat there but we have interest nontheless

Not only who we buy but we have several we need to move on that seem to be hanging round like a bad smell that weren't at the WC either - deals to be done one way or another anyway.

We need to sort our approach to transfer windows out because it's becoming farcical Steff and i don't think Poch will stick around if it continues - Liverpool are backing Klopp and showing how it should be done in the market, unless we really are skint because of the stadium (which i would begrudgingly accept tbf) there's no real excuse for this window so far - hopefully we pull something out the bag in the next week or so for it all to make sense, but im no longer confident of that happening.

It's an obvious area of the club which needs improving - we're so well run and set up to maximise our return in almost every other aspect in order to punch above our weight that it seems entirely illogical that our scouting and transfer department seems so wasteful/under utilised - it seems quite clear we have a bunch of players ready to be moved on - it should also be clear via the manager the areas in which we need strengthening, this should all be being worked on throughout the season, ready to kick in to action when the window opens, we know where we sit in the market, we know we can't compete financially with a handful of clubs that sit at the top table so we should have a set up which is providing us with options relative to our standing

Liverpool are spraying money around like the local Tom marking its territory. While we arent poor, but we arent able to do that.

The "excuse" is simple. We need Harrods players while having a Sainsburys budget.

Players to improve this team are in the £70m+ budget for the most part, with much bigger fish circling them.

If we wanted to get players we "can" (afford, easily) then we would be done already, but the squad would most likely be no better off.

If we want to get players who will actually improve us, well - its a tightrope walk, isnt it?

Its frustrating things are going late, AGAIN, but I dont think its a genuine ploy or failing in the club, I think its just the reality.

Mawson to Fulham for £15m is a bargain, he looks to have some potential

Never understood the interest in him, to be honest - but they are making some smart moves. Ill be watching them with interest this season, they have the basis of a good side and a positive manager.

Will you please get up to date on the player, just this once?

He isnt the player you describe, hasnt been for a long time, and having you beat him over the head with his career of 4 or 5 years ago is dull.

You clearly have no idea how he has grown as a player, I suggest you go check it out.

Agree with your concerns, but hopefully Poch changes the way we approach some games. We are a bit predictable with our possession based tactics, so if we were able to have the option of playing on the break a bit more I think it would make us harder to work out and teams wouldn't be able to stop us if we could mix it up

That's a big if though. I'm not sure Poch will change. Like you say if we stick with the same approach then someone like Zaha might struggle

I do agree with this and its something that that was obvious to a lot of fans last season. However i do not believe spending 70 million? on Zaha is the answer, from what i have seen of Moura he could be the player who will give us that other option though.

While I agree we can be pretty predictable (and that someone like Zaha is just what is needed) - I want to point out we are actually really good on the break. Have been since Poch arrived, the rare times we break on teams from our own half we are VERY effective. Always getting loads of bodies forward, causing trouble, and often scoring.

The issue, particularly with predictability, is when we are sitting in midfield with the opposition set in their defensive lines. Here we often become stilted, slow and lack genuine threat. Here is where having someone able to go past a player or two, and pull that team out of shape makes all the difference.

Levy has been fantastic for this club imho.

Thus I think we must have finatial problems, because he like the rest of us will know all to well the current situation is to put it mildly is counterproductive to the continued plans for the club, the last thing he will want for the new stadium.

I think he will have to bite the bullet and except lower fees for the player we are trying to shift.
To be sitting typing this with 9 days left to end of the window is bizarre even for Levy who I admire for his prudence in the market. The loss of momentum with the new stadium opening ect is hardly great pr.

Never going to happen, happened with Bentley and Gomes where he kept them round for years as their values depreciated.

Back