• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Martial was probably unlikely due to the tug of war on Toby with Man United.

I have always backed Levy, if you look back on threads here you will see some lengthy posts on how much but this window is not great. To not make one signing is no exactly inspiring. I don't agree with alot of the Levy hating but the one part I do partly agree with is the need to improve every season to remain competative and I worry the Leics and Chelsea campaigns are going to be the what ifs as we just have not made an improvements to the squad to keep up. I know its impossible on paper to "keep up" with City and to a lesser extent Liverpool but not making a signing show no intent.
I refuse to accept we aren’t going to sign anyone. Who was the last club to do that?!

I refuse to accept we aren’t going to sign anyone. Who was the last club to do that?!

I hope you are right? I fail to accept the WC as an excuse when you see what Liverpool and West Ham have done as an example. Liverpool did what I always banged on about and that was agree a deal or two when the windows closed or in a previous wndow only for them to activate when it opened in summer, its not rocket science that one.

I hope you are right? I fail to accept the WC as an excuse when you see what Liverpool and West Ham have done as an example. Liverpool did what I always banged on about and that was agree a deal or two when the windows closed or in a previous wndow only for them to activate when it opened in summer, its not rocket science that one.
I’m sure we’ve done that ourselves before, Modric springs to mind or maybe Berbatov? Or just maybe I made that up....

It's an obvious area of the club which needs improving - we're so well run and set up to maximise our return in almost every other aspect in order to punch above our weight that it seems entirely illogical that our scouting and transfer department seems so wasteful/under utilised - it seems quite clear we have a bunch of players ready to be moved on - it should also be clear via the manager the areas in which we need strengthening, this should all be being worked on throughout the season, ready to kick in to action when the window opens, we know where we sit in the market, we know we can't compete financially with a handful of clubs that sit at the top table so we should have a set up which is providing us with options relative to our standing

I'm pretty sure that the blocker is moving players on first. I am surprised that material interest for Dembele, Alderweireld and Rose hasn't materialised.
To be honest if we signed these three up again, extended their deals by a few years, I wouldn't be unhappy. But freshening the squad with a signing or two has its own merits. I'm guessing that our main targets have just not materialised for one reason or another, and I suspect we might drop our full budget on someone (or two players!) as we get closer to the deadline. Hopefully not a panic buy but more a target we have to push to the boat out for.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the blocker is moving players on first. I am surprised that material interest for Dembele, Alderweireld and Rose hasn't materialised.
Yeah must be a hindrance not selling players yet. But the three you mention, do we actually definitely want rid of any of them? Could easily make cases for all three to stay....

I expect we have to move players on first to maximise the transfer fee, before we bring anyone in,
if we get player/s in first other clubs will know we have to sell and so offer a lower transfer fee, something I don't think Levy would find agreeable

Yeah must be a hindrance not selling players yet. But the three you mention, do we actually definitely want rid of any of them? Could easily make cases for all three to stay....

I named them because they have been the most consistently linked with a move away and Rose and Alderweireld struggled to get into the team after returning from injury.

We know that Poch prefers to work with a smaller squad and freeing up salaries will be a factor.

I named them because they have been the most consistently linked with a move away and Rose and Alderweireld struggled to get into the team after returning from injury.

We know that Poch prefers to work with a smaller squad and freeing up salaries will be a factor.
Yeah I’d see it more likely Janssen, GKN, maybe even Llorente as the ones going, don’t think Sissoko would be on that list with our midfield troubles....

It looks as though we will be keeping our best players which in itself is massive when you consider how many times the media seems to be selling them off to Man Utd, Real, Barca or wherever. That is a huge positive

I said it before that if Dembele, Rose and Alderweireld don't move on and stay for the coming season then id rather this than sell them now and scramble around so late in the window trying to bring in inferior replacements

So as we are I'd say we are in a very healthy position

But it is a case of standing still and that can be dangerous. Even Emirates Marketing Project who won the league with so many points and goals scored still went out and signed Mahrez when from the outside it looks they don't really need him. We have a very good squad but we should be able to add one or two quality players the manager wants. If he wants a Zaha then we should be able to complete that deal. He isnt a Ronaldo, Messi, Bale etc, nowhere near, so he is someone we should be able to attract, afford and being to the club if that's what the manager and player want

Zaha in and Janssen and Llorente out improves our front line massively.

We still need a CM and potentially a CB if Toby leaves.

The CM area looks weak even with no one leaving - I guess Zaha/Lucas signings means Christian can drop back.

I see a lot of fans have Dele as a guaranteed starter. I personally wouldn't be against him being dropped a bit more. He is still young, still learning, he has had so many games and so much attention over the last couple of years and to relieve the pressure on him I think Poch should consider rotating him more and it will probably help the team too if we got in a player like Martial or Zaha in giving us a new dimension in attack. For me only Kane and Eriksen are virtually undroppable from our attack.

Zaha in and Janssen and Llorente out improves our front line massively.

It doesn't though, because he's not a goalscorer. He's never scored double figures in a season. Llorente by contrast got 15 at Swansea in a similar setup.

He might arguably add to our (already abundant) AM options, but he's definitely not a goalscorer

Back