• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

But If we can get more attacking talent in front of him he can IMO bring something to the team we don’t have

And it would mean 5 truly attacking players on the pitch

Not for me, he has basically a free role where he is and from there he runs the game. No need or want ( imo) to change that.

Thats the point though - he often drops deep anyway, which makes at least one of the CMs redundant when we have the ball. By having him as a CM means he as an extra option(AM) to look for when he gets the ball in those areas....

No the point is he is better where he is, one of the best players in the world and we should allow him to play as he does, no need to change what he does. IMO The best players in the world have a freedom to drift where they could/can do the most damage and he has that now.

No the point is he is better where he is, one of the best players in the world and we should allow him to play as he does, no need to change what he does. IMO The best players in the world have a freedom to drift where they could/can do the most damage and he has that now.
Well you cant say he's better where he is until hes given a run of games there and then we would know one way or another. When he runs games he basically does that from CM in a Modric type of role and he has looked good when doing it previously. Nothing has to be set in stone but it would be a nice option to have a creative midfielder in CM instead of a more generic or defensive type when playing teams who just want to park the bus....

Eriksen is our most important player and one of the best players in his position in the game, imo it would be madness to have him play elsewhere.

Eriksen plays there all the time in-game, it wouldnt actually be much of a change in role, if at all.

Its hardly like he is explicitly a #10 and we are looking to change his job and position entirely.

Frequently, especially when we are struggling, he drops 10 yards deeper and starts to run the game. This would be no different.

Current set up:
........................lloris
Trippier.....Sanchez...Vertonghen...Davies
...........Wanyama.....Dembele
..Lamela........Eriksen........Alli
...................Kane

Yes, I know, you might like Son/Dier/whatever - point is thats the shape and where Eriksen plays.

Eriksen is central, and very often much deeper than the attacking players in Alli/Lamlela/Kane and pulls the strings. He gets forward as he can as well of course.

Change that to (for example):
........................lloris
Trippier.....Sanchez...Vertonghen...Davies
...................Wanyama
............Eriksen........Alli
Lamela.............................Son
.....................Kane

And what do you have? Alli doing his magic in midfield more, and able to make those penetraiting runs. Eriksen, for all intents and purposes, in the same role. And absolutely pulling the strings more. And you get to bring Son in as an outright attacker as well.

Eriksen started out as a CM at Ajax and played there through the youth set up too i believe - think we essentially use him as one a lot of the time anyway and wouldn't be surprised if we fielded one dedicated DM in future with 4 in front (and Kane in front of them) and have Eriksen and Alli both able to drop in to the deeper positions as and when.

Think @nayimfromthehalfwayline bottom line up is where we're heading

We won't be able to fit Zaha in, already it looks tight with the AMs we have (unless Eriksen or Alli are leaving which I doubt) especially if we go three at the back which I think is a good option (three great CBs and suits Trippier).

I'd like Ndidi or Rabiot. Don't think we need more than one or two high quality signings.

But the point is this is what we do against teams who just defend and we can't break them down. If he was asked to be one of the midfield spots, when we attack he'd still play the role as you see him, but with another attacking player to pick out. When we defend he drops into midfield.

Last edited:
Eriksen started out as a CM at Ajax and played there through the youth set up too i believe - think we essentially use him as one a lot of the time anyway and wouldn't be surprised if we fielded one dedicated DM in future with 4 in front (and Kane in front of them) and have Eriksen and Alli both able to drop in to the deeper positions as and when.

Think @nayimfromthehalfwayline bottom line up is where we're heading

Thats how I see it. As mentioned above, a Modric-like role suits him well. Though I think he offers more going forward [than Modric].

Alli more central is a preference to me, and it means we can put someone quick and direct wide.

Last edited:
Back