• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yves Bissouma

I haven't seen his comments on this, do you have quotes / a link to what he said?

They're not new terms but do seem to be more in vogue than ever, I wonder if they can be a bit of an oversimplification of roles / responsibilities when in reality the system is a bit more fluid than "6"s or "8"s would suggest.
I think it’s some context from some pressers he did recently around roles in the team
He basically said a he has midfielders and they play all the roles
I’m sure someone will find the transcript

I haven't seen his comments on this, do you have quotes / a link to what he said?

They're not new terms but do seem to be more in vogue than ever, I wonder if they can be a bit of an oversimplification of roles / responsibilities when in reality the system is a bit more fluid than "6"s or "8"s would suggest.

Forward to around 16:30

Forward to around 16:30

Cheers, he literally says "hopefully we're getting away from 6s and 8s". Not to overanalyze it but does he mean he wants all of the midfielders to be able to do everything needed in the midfield? I guess only Ange knows.

I can't remember if it was a Redknapp quote but a high level manager essentially said that formations were a load of gonad*s that only mattered at kick off and then once the game started it's an irrelevance.

Yes, he is saying he wants all midfielders to contribute to defence and attack and also that a full back can play in midfield and do a bit of everything too... but clearly it is easiest to talk about 6s 8s 10s if we're talking DM, Box to Box and AM so I think it is fine to use 6 8 10 since everyone* understands that

*Except one pedantic arse based in Sheffield

When I were a lad 6 was a CB.

It was 4 and 8 in CM.

4 and 6 are used differently in different countries. 4 has always been a CB to me. It all goes back to the time when the players wore 1-11 and how formations and tactics have developed differently around the world.

Our first 11 numbers were actually perfect that year.

Keeper was 1.

FB’s 2&3.

CB’s 5&6

CM’s 4&8

Wide players 7&11

Forwards 9&10, even got big guy little guy the right way around

It keeps going…

12 was a utility player and 13 the second keeper

Say what you like about Graham, but that is impressive numbering

Yes, he is saying he wants all midfielders to contribute to defence and attack and also that a full back can play in midfield and do a bit of everything too... but clearly it is easiest to talk about 6s 8s 10s if we're talking DM, Box to Box and AM so I think it is fine to use 6 8 10 since everyone* understands that

*Except one pedantic arse based in Sheffield
Yeah, that's the way I use it and assume others use it most of the time. A shorthand for that role in this system. I'm not aware of another shorthand that can't be equally misleading and it's a bit of a pain to write it out every time.

This thread needs a bump - I thought Bissouma looked much sharper and closer to his early season self against Villa.
Agree, still a few moments where he could have been braver or burst forward into space to receive a return pass.

Almost feels like he's playing with mental shackles on, but mostly agreed and hope to see him keep growing in confidence and sharpness.

Agree, still a few moments where he could have been braver or burst forward into space to receive a return pass.

Almost feels like he's playing with mental shackles on, but mostly agreed and hope to see him keep growing in confidence and sharpness.
Agreed, he's probably been told to keep it a bit simple, since he was involved in a few red cards and diving and losing the ball in key areas.

I'm just remembering that tackle he made in our box, on Bailey after half an hour.
Van de Ven rushes upfield but Cash intercepts and Bissouma has to slot in at VdV's position.
He goes with his right foot and 95% misses the ball but just catches the top of it and Bailey and falls and it looks so dodgy. 100% not a penalty because he did get the ball, but was a fraction away from diving in and fouling Bailey without touching the ball. Small margins in that position.

Agreed, he's probably been told to keep it a bit simple, since he was involved in a few red cards and diving and losing the ball in key areas.

I'm just remembering that tackle he made in our box, on Bailey after half an hour.
Van de Ven rushes upfield but Cash intercepts and Bissouma has to slot in at VdV's position.
He goes with his right foot and 95% misses the ball but just catches the top of it and Bailey and falls and it looks so dodgy. 100% not a penalty because he did get the ball, but was a fraction away from diving in and fouling Bailey without touching the ball. Small margins in that position.
He got the ball 3 times in that tackle weirdly
the first part you describe
it ricochet’s back to him and then he eventually wraps his foot around it
it’s brilliant play in reality I thought it was a pen in real time

I maintain that this is a player we should upgrade if possible. He has the talent, but for me something is missing in consistency of application. Tough appraisal I know, but we need elite there and he is just above average IMO.
He lacks the passing range we need to be elite

He lacks the passing range we need to be elite
We need someone from deep who can switch the ball quickly. It's the most obvious thing this side lacks versus our rivals. We have no real ability to play it quickly and accurately over a longer distance, or to take advantage of a team squeezing up on one side.

Back