• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

If we could play that with Lallana , Alli and Kane working like Poch has had them (at the times he has had them), then that side would do very well.

Rashford or Sterling could be used instead of Alli too.
Forgot about the Poch/Lallana connection, pity he hasn't worked with any english centre halves.

Nonsense. The teams that qualify belong in the World Cup. That being said, Northern Ireland are not there yet.

This; you deserve to be there if you qualify. How good you are is almost irrelevant if teams don't knock you and 'allow you to stay.'

There's one thing being brick and another thing playing like brick; but then the question is how brick are Norway (or any other of the sides in their group) that Northernm Ireland are second?

@Kandi1977 , sour grapes much?

So basically we're turgid and are going to win the World Cup?

We are turgid and could win the world cup.

We wont win the world cup, but I bet you which ever team does win it, if you look back afterwards at all their games you would say a fair few of them were awful matches.

I am English and will always support my national team, I know that is a dirty idea for some on here(not you, but some on here) I do not think England are great and we would be about my 10th favourite to win it, but I also think the are one of around 15 teams that could actually win it.

This; you deserve to be there if you qualify. How good you are is almost irrelevant if teams don't knock you and 'allow you to stay.'

There's one thing being brick and another thing playing like brick; but then the question is how brick are Norway (or any other of the sides in their group) that Northernm Ireland are second?

@Kandi1977 , sour grapes much?
No sour grapes at all! Norway are terrible (but improving now) and don't deserve anything. But I just remember how people talked about Norway when we where actually good. "Hoof ball", "defensive", "boring", "negative" and so on. But they were 100 times better and more pleasant to watch than that shower of brick N.I are now!

No sour grapes at all! Norway are terrible (but improving now) and don't deserve anything. But I just remember how people talked about Norway when we where actually good. "Hoof ball", "defensive", "boring", "negative" and so on. But they were 100 times better and more pleasant to watch than that shower of brick N.I are now!

For most followers of international football the actual quality is a mere afterthought. What's important is that your country is winning as that makes you awesome by association.

We wont win the world cup, but I bet you which ever team does win it, if you look back afterwards at all their games you would say a fair few of them were awful matches.

I am English and will always support my national team, I know that is a dirty idea for some on here(not you, but some on here) I do not think England are great and we would be about my 10th favourite to win it, but I also think the are one of around 15 teams that could actually win it.

I've seen worst sides win trophies as discussed earlier

Agree with all of the above. I also know that whilst completely playing down our chances, come the first day of the tournament I’ll get sucked in and dare to dream...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

as an Ireland fan I'm pretty delighted right now. Wales have been playing well but we did a good job at neutralising them.

Bale being out didn't hurt our chances either.

Wales fans would have been quality in the world cup as well, so I hope we haven't knocked them out in vain. I hope we can do the business in the playoffs.

Also, pretty sure a Wales fan wanted to try and start a fight with me on my way home from the pub, he seemed a bit wasted. I hope he gets home safe.

So what? We can all pick loads of teams in every one of the last 20 odd years of world cups or Euros who were brick; Greece for one.
I don't see why NI have been singled out here. As i say, if they are brick, how brick are the other teams in their group

FWIW, I also found that mid-90s Norway team boring often, but boy were they effective and i found them very intriguing - especially when they bamboozled Brazil in that last group game of 1998! Generally, i had a lot of respect for that side and Egil Olsen, but long-term he was quite regressive in how he used Norway's squad then i felt; they have not had such pool of talent for years and i think he could have utilised them better. But as i say, they were very effective.

Anyone who likes the game knows you need these type of 'minimalistic' teams to keep the teams who do try to play good football/have genuinely good footballers honest and keep them (and perhaps football in general) evolving.

Back