• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

1) he didn't raise the political objection - he didn't wear one everyone got their knickers in a twist and he gave reasons - it was not a overt political act.
2) you can be against the historical actions of a country and not want to pay homage to those causing them while not against the current country.
3). If he did hate the country what better way for him to legally "get one over" than take as much money from the country as possible.
4). I am sure he is sorry that his (supposed) political objection upsets you snowflake.
1) Yes he did. In the letter he wrote to Whelan he stated "For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different." He's making a political point, a bad one at that.

2) Historical? Last time I checked Londonderry is still in the UK. I'd say that the occupation of what someone like MacLean would consider "Ireland" is well and truly current.

3) A nice theory, but it falls apart when that person has to live and work with those people.

4) I don't care what he thinks. If I did, I'd be finding a way to let him know. I just think he's a clam.

1) Yes he did. In the letter he wrote to Whelan he stated "For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different." He's making a political point, a bad one at that.

2) Historical? Last time I checked Londonderry is still in the UK. I'd say that the occupation of what someone like MacLean would consider "Ireland" is well and truly current.

3) A nice theory, but it falls apart when that person has to live and work with those people.

4) I don't care what he thinks. If I did, I'd be finding a way to let him know. I just think he's a clam.
1} that was 2014, for two years at Sunderland he got dogs abuse for not wearing one with no attached politics .

2)We are not shooting up londonderry now, think this was his stated objection, you seen different

Last edited:
So, all the 32 teams have now been confirmed for the World Cup. But it was a largely disappointing and boring play-offs to decide the remaining teams in Europe, Concacaf/Asia and South America/Oceania.

Well done to Eriksen for scoring the hattrick to lead Denmark into the WC. Also, nice to see Peru qualifying for the World Cup for the first time since 1982. Peru used to be a strong team in the 1970s and early 1980s but not sure why they went missing after that until now. Too bad New Zealand lost to Peru but not sure they even had any chance against the South American teams. I think Oceania teams like New Zealand will have a better chance against Asian or Concacaf teams. Credit to Australia for qualifying but Honduras were so poor against them. Australia were poor as well but Honduras were much worse. Not sure how Honduras even progressed to the play-off.

So, all the 32 teams have now been confirmed for the World Cup. But it was a largely disappointing and boring play-offs to decide the remaining teams in Europe, Concacaf/Asia and South America/Oceania.

Well done to Eriksen for scoring the hattrick to lead Denmark into the WC. Also, nice to see Peru qualifying for the World Cup for the first time since 1982. Peru used to be a strong team in the 1970s and early 1980s but not sure why they went missing after that until now. Too bad New Zealand lost to Peru but not sure they even had any chance against the South American teams. I think Oceania teams like New Zealand will have a better chance against Asian or Concacaf teams. Credit to Australia for qualifying but Honduras were so poor against them. Australia were poor as well but Honduras were much worse. Not sure how Honduras even progressed to the play-off.
I just looked through the teams on a guardian review and other than a few eastern bloc countries and Aussies I quite liked the look of the line up.

1. Russia: The hosts qualified when they won the chance to host the competition back in Dec 2010.
  2. Brazil: CONMEBOL round robin winners, qualified way back on March 28, 2017
  3. Iran: AFC third round group A winners
  4. Japan: AFC third round group B winners
  5. South Korea: Runners-up to Iran in Group A
  6. Saudi Arabia: Runners-up in Group B
  7. Mexico: North and central America and Caribbean round 5 winners
  8. Belgium: Uefa group H winners (first European team) who qualified on Sept 3
  9. Germany: Sealed their place as Group C winners after beating Northern Ireland 3-1 in Belfast
  10. England: Gareth Southgate's side beat Slovenia at Wembley to secure their spot in Russia as winners of Group F
  11. Poland: Poland became to fourth European team to qualify having dropped points in just two games in Group E
  12. Costa Rica: Reached their fourth World Cup finals with a game remaining from their CONCACAF qualification group
  13. Nigeria: Became the first side from Africa to reach Russia and have now missed just one tournament – Germany 2006 – since first qualifying 1994
  14. Egypt: Mohamed Salah scored twice to send the north Africans into their first finals since 1990
  15. Iceland: Have qualified for their first ever World Cup, pipping Croatia to a guaranteed place in Russia
  16. Serbia: Winners of Group D
  17. Spain: The 2010 champions qualified as Group G winners finishing five points ahead of Italy
  18. France: Qualified as winners of Group A
  19. Portugal: Beat Switzerland in their final qualification game to reach next summer's finals
  20. Panama: Reached their first World Cup after beating Costa Rica in the final group game of their qualification campaign
  21. Argentina: Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick in his side's final qualification game to secure their place in the finals
  22. Uruguay: Finished second to Brazil in their group to secure their place in the finals
  23. Colombia: Took the fourth and final automatic qualification spot in the South American group
  24. Senegal: CAF Group D winners
  25. Morocco: CAF Group C winners
  26. Tunisia: CAF Group A winners
  27. Switzerland: Won two-leg play-off with Northern Ireland
  28. Croatia: Won two-leg play-off with Greece
  29. Sweden: Won two-leg play-off with Italy
  30. Denmark - Won two-leg play-off with Republic of Ireland
  31. Australia - Defeated Honduras in a two-leg play-off
  32. Peru - Secured last place with victory over New Zealand in two-leg play-off

It is going to be a strange World Cup without 4-time winners Italy. They are one of the first team people look forward to in every WC, along with Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, Spain and maybe England. Italy were very unfortunate as they got Spain in the qualifying group and Sweden in the play-off.

The seeding system for the UEFA qualifying draw were not logical as they had teams like Romania, Wales and Croatia in the Pot 1 of the draw and France and Italy in Pot 2. This meant France and Italy had tougher group. Romania and Wales had easier group but still ended up not qualifying while Croatia finished below Iceland and needed the play-off to progress. This proves the seeding system were not correct or well balanced.

I think the traditional big teams should always be seeded higher and kept apart to have a balanced tournament. I think the seeding system should be based on big-tournament history and not on current form. As they say, form is temporary and class is permanent.

They are making the same mistake in the WC draw with Poland in Pot 1 while Spain in Pot 2. This meant Spain might end up with Brazil, Denmark and Nigeria in their group while Poland might get weaker teams like Peru, Iran and Panama in their group ! What have one-man team Poland achieved so far to get ranked higher ? They were even winless and finished last in their group in Euro 2012 which they hosted.

Last edited:
its great to see "big" teams miss out, it means the endless series of qualifying games have a point until 2026 when FIFA who have decided $10 billion in kickbacks is not enough will allow 48 teams to qualify which will make qualifying a cakewalk even for the likes of scotland :mad:

It is going to be a strange World Cup without 4-time winners Italy. They are one of the first team people look forward to in every WC, along with Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, Spain and maybe England. Italy were very unfortunate as they got Spain in the qualifying group and Sweden in the play-off.

It's quite a long time since I've looked forward to watching Italy.
I'm not sorry they won't be there next summer.

The seeding system for the UEFA qualifying draw were not logical as they had teams like Romania, Wales and Croatia in the Pot 1 of the draw and France and Italy in Pot 2. This meant France and Italy had tougher group. Romania and Wales had easier group but still ended up not qualifying while Croatia finished below Iceland and needed the play-off to progress. This proves the seeding system were not correct or well balanced.

I think the traditional big teams should always be seeded higher and kept apart to have a balanced tournament. I think the seeding system should be based on big-tournament history and not current form.

I think the traditional big teams should always be seeded higher and kept apart to have a balanced tournament. I think the seeding system should be based on big-tournament history and not on current form. As they say, form is temporary and class is permanent.

They are making the same mistake in the WC draw with Poland in Pot 1 while Spain in Pot 2. This meant Spain might end up with Brazil, Denmark and Nigeria in their group while Poland might get weaker teams like Peru, Iran and Panama in their group ! What have one-man team Poland achieved so far to get ranked higher ? They were even winless and finished last in their group in Euro 2012 which they hosted.
WTF???!! Are you fudging serious?? 1st seeded teams not winning the group are proof that the seeding is wrong? Hahahaha. Well why not just skip the matches all together. Just go by the seeding. We don't really need to play any games. The teams that were good ages ago, should automatically be on top now too. Hell, No need to play any games. We don't want any new teams or surprises. Same in the PL. Just give the title to Manure every year, because they have already won it the most times, and thus should be favorites, and with your logic, the best ranked and historically best teams should not lose.

Back