• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Willian

a lot of the CL money is eaten up in bonuses paid to players iirc.....thats why footballers want to play CL football. Makes me laugh when they say they get wet at the thought of the CL music. Yeah right

Tottenham have replaced Liverpool as the bookies' favourites to sign Willian, with Sky Bet reporting a run of significant bets.

Goal reporting that Liverpool are still confident despite our interest. I have to ask, and not in a 'haha Liverpool' kind of way...why are they so confident?

The AVB connection, our better league finishes, better squad. Why are they so sure? It doesn't make sense. I can understand them giving it a go, but being so confident?

If we let him go to Liverpool they will be serious rivals for us. We have to stop them.

Goal reporting that Liverpool are still confident despite our interest. I have to ask, and not in a 'haha Liverpool' kind of way...why are they so confident?

The AVB connection, our better league finishes, better squad. Why are they so sure? It doesn't make sense. I can understand them giving it a go, but being so confident?

If we let him go to Liverpool they will be serious rivals for us. We have to stop them.

i dont even understand this Liverpool interest. If Suarez is staying, then no way are they paying such a big sum for a player like Willian. They just signed a Valencia full back on a years loan, and all their other signings this summer have been financially sensible.

I think its more the agent and Anzhi using Liverpool just to get more out of Spurs

Has anyone seen Willian play regularly? If so, is he all the reported fee suggests he should be? The only youtube footage I've found is pretty limited (e.g. 2012/13 goals and assists seems to be a load of tricks, most of which don't come to much, then a couple of goals) and not particularly impressive, i.e. not the direct threat, or creative playmaker either. But then that is only youtube...

Maybe they are ahead in the race because a formal bid has been lodged and we haven't got that far yet.

The only real advantage I see for them is the prestige a club like Liverpool still has. I think that still counts for something, but on the other hand - London, European football, AVB, 3 other Brazilians in the squad. The odds must now be stacked in our favour surely?

i dont even understand this Liverpool interest. If Suarez is staying, then no way are they paying such a big sum for a player like Willian. They just signed a Valencia full back on a years loan, and all their other signings this summer have been financially sensible.

I think its more the agent and Anzhi using Liverpool just to get more out of Spurs

Have to agree - they have no Europe this season so I don't see how they would be able to have Sturridge, Suarez, Willian, Coutinho etc all happy. Not including Borini, Sterling, Aspas etc.

It does sound like the 'confidence' is artificial because I just don't see how it can be so. And I also don't see why Spurs don't see right through if that is indeed what is going on. But I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool are happy to have their name used in this to get one over on us and make us pay a bit more.

Maybe they are ahead in the race because a formal bid has been lodged and we haven't got that far yet.

The only real advantage I see for them is the prestige a club like Liverpool still has. I think that still counts for something, but on the other hand - London, European football, AVB, 3 other Brazilians in the squad. The odds must now be stacked in our favour surely?

If this does go through and Brazil play Belgium in the World Cup, half the players will be from Spurs.

Very funny to hear Liverpool fans moaning we steal their targets when we went to speak with Shakhtar about Willian in January for goodness sake!

Why do they still think they'll win the league every year?

Deluded Scouser said:
Spurs can't offer Champions league football,don't think the Europa cup is a big pull.If we loose out on Willian to Spurs then for me it shows how far we have fallen.

Reasonable Scouser said:
We know how far we've fallen. Our league position the last 4 years tells us that. We've been overtaken by Spurs who have been run very well whilst we've made fudge up after fudge up. This is not news to us and it's not news to agents and players across the World. A player choosing Spurs over us will not come as a surprise.

Deluded Scouser said:
It will come as a surprise to me if we loose out on a player to Spurs even if like us they can't offer Champions league football as I still had us ahead of them.

Reasonable Scouser said:
Really? They finished above us the last 4 years isn't it. They've can offer London. They've got a coach well known around Europe after managing Porto and Chelsea. They were in the CL quarters only a season or two again. They've got the player the entire world is talking about as he may move for a world record bid. They have a proper heavyweight executive doing their deals. And you still had us ahead of them.

Deluded Scouser said:
Yes and none of the above has made me change my mind.Show him our history then compare it to Spurs.Champions league is a big pull but Spurs don't have it either so for me it would be disappointing if we lost out to them.

Thing is, they can probably still offer him more money than Levy is willing too

I'm not so sure. We either make a big push or we decide to be frugal. We shouldn't go half hearted both ways because it gets us no where.

If we decide Willian is a realistic target, and decide this summer is the time for the big splash to make a title challenge, then we do it. We pay the money. No point getting the likes of Soldado and Paulinho if we aren't going to follow through and make a proper go of it.

That scouse exchange is gold "show him our history"

Yeah, all players who go to Liverpool and going to read a f*cking history book before signing.

Originally Posted by Deluded Scouser Yes and none of the above has made me change my mind.Show him our history then compare it to Spurs.Champions league is a big pull but Spurs don't have it either so for me it would be disappointing if we lost out to them.

The only history they should be looking at is that 2 players went to Tottenham over Liverpool only last summer. Siggi and Demps

It will count for something though. I'm pretty sure especially to someone that isn't English that the "name" of Liverpool still carries significant (if fading) weight. Its similar to the way that Real Madrid are still seen as somehow a bigger club than Barcelona in the grand scheme of things despite Barca tinkling all over them for the last decade or so. All those European cups, galacticos and all that shizzle are still a big pull!

Back