• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which party are you?

That's what I mean mate. They can promise the world because they will never realistically come into power.

I have researched into them and I was attracted to some of their policies, but its all hot wind in my opinion.

I see what you mean. Yes you're probably right to be fair.

Having said that, my comments could apply to any party nowadays!!

You're not wrong. My primary motivation for supporting UKIP is that they would appear to put value the democratic basis of our society. If we can get that back then we might be getting somewhere. Europe and the UK are both guilty of taking massive liberties with elected democracy over several decades now.

Only by ignorant people. People who don't bother to find out what the party REALLY stand for, and assume that because you want to control immigration rather than just open the doors to everyone, you are a bigot.

And as for the difference between BNP manifesto and UKIP............well, chalk and cheese spring to mind.

Did you know, UKIP make it a strict membership policy that no former BNP or NF members may join? And still I get idiots calling me racist.

I joined UKIP out of a love for my country, not a hatred of others (although I detest what the EU has become)

I was a UKIP supporter 2 and a half years ago and assure anyone of any doubt that it's not racist. It doesn't even seek to ban emigration, they do want to tighten up a lot for the next few years but after that they'd open it up more but in a controlled manner. That's one of many reasons they want to leave the EU.

Since then though I've journeyd from a centre right (some may say right-wing) position to an ultra-left position. I supported UKIP for the same reasons the guy above me says. Love for my country. Now the patriotism has completely gone (I don't see the point in celebrating a drawn up boarder of government) and I am now an anarcho-syndicalist. Always makes me laugh to see the look on people's faces when they think I've always been a left winger and I say "Actually, I was a UKIP supporter 2 and a half years ago".

No.

UKIP have a full manifesto. Suitable enough to rival any of the main parties.

They have very strong viewpoints on energy, tax, education, and are very much in favour of localised government, without state interference.

So have they moved on beyond the name UKIP and is it time to consider a name change without changing any of their values or what they stand for? The reason I ask is that there used to be an old boy get in my local a few years ago who was passionately anti European and would try and groom sign up anyone who would give him five minutes, I guess he's planted the seed in my mind. He portrayed them as a one issue party to me.

So have they moved on beyond the name UKIP and is it time to consider a name change without changing any of their values or what they stand for? The reason I ask is that there used to be an old boy get in my local a few years ago who was passionately anti European and would try and groom sign up anyone who would give him five minutes, I guess he's planted the seed in my mind. He portrayed them as a one issue party to me.

Yes, I think they probably have, and indeed need to name-change in order to widen their appeal.

I am scared of them becoming something like the christian social democrats or similar.

I don't get this one point? What's the difference between a person committing a crime who is born British and a legal immigrant who has British citizenship? Surely the whole point is a Brit is a Brit?*

*Unless we are saying that we find out the criminal is here illegally, then yeah deport them.

Not at all. As an immigrant you should have more respect for the country they reside than anyone else.

My grandparents moved to the UK back in the 50's. They will gladly agree that if you've been accepted to reside and work in a country it's your duty to show gratitude for the opportunities you have been given. If they commit crime then they should be sent back to where they came from because there're far more people out there wanting a chance to better their life but are never given the opportunity.

If they ever did come to power (which will probably never happen) then I think after leaving the EU all your left with is a Conservative Party that's out of the EU.

That's the problem with UKIP. At least if you elect the Green Party there's more than enough reasons to keep them in after a first term. With UKIp it would be leave the EU and a so... what's next? Kind of thing. To be honest I think UKIp's best hope of getting anywhere is to form a coalition with the Conservative's and get them to change their stance on EU membership. If that happened UKIP might aswell just merge with the Conservative's again.

Since then though I've journeyd from a centre right (some may say right-wing) position to an ultra-left position. I supported UKIP for the same reasons the guy above me says. Love for my country. Now the patriotism has completely gone (I don't see the point in celebrating a drawn up boarder of government) and I am now an anarcho-syndicalist. Always makes me laugh to see the look on people's faces when they think I've always been a left winger and I say "Actually, I was a UKIP supporter 2 and a half years ago".

Must..resist..:-#

If they ever did come to power (which will probably never happen) then I think after leaving the EU all your left with is a Conservative Party that's out of the EU.

That's the problem with UKIP. At least if you elect the Green Party there's more than enough reasons to keep them in after a first term. With UKIp it would be leave the EU and a so... what's next? Kind of thing. To be honest I think UKIp's best hope of getting anywhere is to form a coalition with the Conservative's and get them to change their stance on EU membership. If that happened UKIP might aswell just merge with the Conservative's again.

Craig, I urge you to watch a youtube account of the recent "common sense tour" Nigel farage made around the country.
You will see there are far more differences between UKIP and the torys than is being talked about here.
There is actually a great deal of contempt for the Conservative party from UKIP.

Craig, I urge you to watch a youtube account of the recent "common sense tour" Nigel farage made around the country.
You will see there are far more differences between UKIP and the torys than is being talked about here.
There is actually a great deal of contempt for the Conservative party from UKIP.

As was the case with the Lib Dems, UKIP can promise things they can't deliver. I'm all for the flat tax rate they suggest, but it will never happen. Even if they are elected, it would be political suicide, just look at all the grief the Tories get for reducing the top rate of tax to 45p.

Sadly for every person who tries to convince me UKIP isn't a one issue party, the only time I ever see Nigel Farage he only talks about Europe. No matter what the subject, he will always mention Europe. Always. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard him really mention much at all that isn't Europe related, apart from being anti gay marriage.

Lastly, it's unfair for parties to attack the Tories (and Lib Dems) for their actions in government. They are governing in coalition, neither is doing what they would do if they were solely in power.

Last edited:
As was the case with the Lib Dems, UKIP can promise things they can't deliver. I'm all for the flat tax rate they suggest, but it will never happen. Even if they are elected, it would be political suicide, just look at all the grief the Tories get for reducing the top rate of tax to 45p.

Sadly for every person who tries to convince me UKIP isn't a one issue party, the only time I ever see Nigel Farage he only talks about Europe. No matter what the subject, he will always mention Europe. Always. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard him really mention much at all that isn't Europe related, apart from being anti gay marriage.

Lastly, it's unfair for parties to attack the Tories (and Lib Dems) for their actions in government. They are governing in coalition, neither is doing what they would do if they were solely in power.

UKIP are anti-gay marriage solely to protect those in religions who do not wish to consecrate such an act. As would be the case if gay marriage was passed into law.

UKIP are fully supportive of civil partnerships, for all sexes, where the rights of participating partners are observed. Be it financially or whatever.

Would be interested to see peoples views on UKIPs policy of the re-introduction of Grammar schools, in order that ALL of societies achievers are given the chance to progress to the upper echelons of education, rather than a priviledged few

UKIP are anti-gay marriage solely to protect those in religions who do not wish to consecrate such an act. As would be the case if gay marriage was passed into law.

UKIP are fully supportive of civil partnerships, for all sexes, where the rights of participating partners are observed. Be it financially or whatever.

I completely agree and ironically the only reason I am swayed by such an argument is because our highest court is the European Court and we have no say in it, but thats me bringing the debate around to Europe and not Nigel Farage.

Would be interested to see peoples views on UKIPs policy of the re-introduction of Grammar schools, in order that ALL of societies achievers are given the chance to progress to the upper echelons of education, rather than a priviledged few

Being in my mid 20s, I actually have no idea what a Grammar school is. If someone could give me a quick overview I would most appreciate it.

However, if you are talking about two-tiered schooling I am in favour. The simple fact is that we have that right now, it's just everything is called a GCSE. Almost all GCSEs are split in to foundation tier and higher tier papers, in which foundation tier you can only achieve a C at best. Speaking to my friends who are teachers, it is very rare that a pupil will be moved up from foundation to higher classes during the year. I see no reason not to formalise it more.

When it comes to Grammar schools though, doesn't that involve streaming students as young as 11? I feel that would be too young.

On the topic of schools, someone bought up something that intrigued me the other day. What is the justification for separating students by age? Why can't we blur the lines of year groups and allow more talented students from lower years to take certain classes with older pupils to push them harder. I have no idea if it would work in practice, but it's got me thinking.

I know it don't mean much but it's AN opinion and I think it's English/British people who don't seem to want an opinion on things that directly involve them that annoys me greatly.

Agreed. I feel that in the UK we have gone so far into being 'politically-correct', it has actually caused more discontent between differing cultures. Interestingly, when calls are made for banning English/British flags, not celebrating Christmas or acting out nativity scenes in schools, not wearing England football jersey's during championships etc, I have found that ethnic minorities in general are the ones opposed to it. They WANT to celebrate being English/British!

A friend of mine commented a while ago that her daughters school was going to ban the nativity play at Christmas in the fear it would upset the many ethnic minorities being educated there. This was a decision made by the school board, without discussing first with the parents of the children. A successful petition was created with most of the signatures coming from the non-Christian parents!

Didn't know this. I will read up a bit more on their policies, some interesting facts coming out of this thread.

Back