• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our partnership with Madrid?

N10 Yiddo

Andy Gray
I don't understand it. They get our best player, then sell a world-class player to our main rivals and sell one of our transfer targets to another rival.

What is the point of this partnership? They have made Arsenal significantly stronger whilst giving Man U depth in their squad, which means we will probably not get into the top 4. If we aren't getting anything out of this partnership it has to be ended immediately, otherwise there is no point in them weakening us and strengthening our rivals whilst we sit back and watch.

We get access to their scouting database.
After Redknapp left we had no chief scout, no scouting reports and where absolutely clueless.
We got access to Real scouting database as part of a partnership deal where we also shared training information.
We bought Dembele after Modric solely due to Real's scouting of him.

I'm sure at least one of our signings this summer has been cheery picked out of real's database.

After Redknapp left we had no chief scout, no scouting reports and where absolutely clueless.
We got access to Real scouting database as part of a partnership deal where we also shared training information.

I'm sure at least one of our signings this summer has been cheery picked out of real's database.

If we have access to their database then why did we appoint Baldini?

We bought Dembele after Modric solely due to Real's scouting of him. I'm sure at least one of our signings this summer has been cheery picked out of real's database.

I can't buy that - when would Dembele have ever been on their radar?

"The partnership agreement will see the two Clubs working together in respect of players, coaching, best practices and commercial relationships." - According to OS announcement from a year ago.

Although I share your sentiments, at the same time I think it's naive of us to expect a club like Real to say no to clubs like Le **** and United, because they have this partnership with us. In the end, football is a business. Real needs to get rid of a player. A club, that's not a direct rival to them, comes in with cash, everybody wins.

Would Özil and Coentrao have wanted to come here if we could've offered Champions League football? Who knows. Could we compete with their wage demands? Probably not, but always a possibility. We've done remarkably well this summer and until we establish us as Champions League regulars, we'll simply be one class below the top clubs when it comes to the top players.

To me that's fine, because it means that we do what we always do. Buy young, nearly there players, make them great and either live to see them take us to glory or sell them for megabucks when we fail to reach our goals. Unfortunately we've been treated to a lot of the second one, but being a Tottenham fan is all about believing in the first one, all day and every day.

COYS.

The sooner we develop our own damn network, the better. This arrangement (if it works the way you say it does) is magnificent for Madrid: we buy all the players they've identified as talented but can't be bothered to play or develop, and then they swoop in and jovially throw us some coins while taking them away one by one when they become good enough for Perez and the white handkerchief phalanx.

The words 'feeder club' are bouncing around my head, and the only thing I would feed those ****s right now is arsenic.

Out partnership is a coaching and sharing of scouting reports whilst Madrid give us the option of not selling to a top 4 club like we did with Carrick and Berbatov.

We have a stunning team, and IMO we have bought 6 or 7 players that could all turn into 40m players whist another that could go higher.

Out of interest those upset with this partnership, how would you feel if Bale and Modric now played at UTD. Happy now, thought so.

I will call it now, Madrid will sign Kyle Walker next August.

Last edited:
Real Madrid are not the only club in existence that does not operate in England. There are others we could sell to, you know. Is it really that outrageous that Barca, Juventus, PSG, Inter or Bayern would be interested in the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, or that Real would be interested regardless of any 'partnership' between us and them? Is it also outrageous to think that Levy would extract huge fees from any of these overseas sides if they try to prise away our players, Madrid included, even if no partnership existed? I highly doubt Madrid agreed to pay us more than any other club for our players in this partnership agreement.

And finally, even if, by some miracle of transfer market inaction Manchester United were the only club willing to pay us the money we want for our players, why would Levy resignedly sell to them if this partnership didn't exist? If I recall correctly, Levy rejected 40 million pounds from Chelsea for Modric, a whole year before this partnership came into effect. He was as determined then as he is now not to sell to domestic buyers. And even if domestic buyers offered more than overseas clubs (Chelsea for Modric again), he's proven that he's happy to sell abroad for lower fees than English clubs offered for our players, just to prevent the sales coming back to haunt us, as was the case with Modric's eventual 28-33 million pound move to Madrid. Even if only English clubs stumped up the cash Levy demanded, he would still probably seek buyers abroad, even if they were offering less than, for example, United.

It is ludicrous to suggest this partnership entails Madrid paying us more than they otherwise would for our players, or that this is the only way we can sell abroad. Seriously.

Our partnership with Real Madrid is, they take our best player and hand us a load of cash, which we promptly blow on inferior replacements.

I do think that it is unfortunate that we have a relationship with Real, because they tap up the players and offer less.

The big thing though is that it is easier to get a players mind to go to Madrid than it is to get there mind off going to Man Utd.

Our partnership with Real Madrid is, they take our best player and hand us a load of cash, which we promptly blow on inferior replacements.

If they were superior they'd probably be signing for Real instead. They can afford to buy the finished article, we just have to fleece them for as much as possible and spend it on potential.

I genuinely don't know but to be fair boys and girls RM did sell us this sexy beast....

Rafael-van-der-Vaart-leaves-Tottenham-and-goes-to-Hamburg.jpg

...for £8,000,000

The man was worth approximately £20m at the time.

Was he though?

On the last year of his contract and with his fitness/injury issues I think 8m is realistic. 20m certainly isn't.

I do think that it is unfortunate that we have a relationship with Real, because they tap up the players and offer less.

The big thing though is that it is easier to get a players mind to go to Madrid than it is to get there mind off going to Man Utd.

So you agree with me, in a way: get our scouting network sorted and get as far as way as possible.

But as for the notion that we'd prefer players going to Madrid over United, again, any player United want will likely be wanted by other big boys on the continent as well. And I doubt any player would turn down a very hefty wage-packet at the likes of Bayern or Barca when they offer terms after we've hawked him to them for less than we demand from United.

Very, very few players will demand a move to a specific club. Most generally move for more money and a shot at the big trophies: the identity of the shirt they'll be wearing matters little if the team itself is a powerhouse and the wages are suitably obscene. And even if a player is set on United and makes things so bad at the club that we have no choice but to sell him, what's preventing us refusing United's offers and flat out telling the player "Go Barca/Bayern/Juve or go home'? I doubt a player that had burned his bridges with the club would choose to stay at us and sulk when faced with the option of an escape, even if isn't his first choice in England.

Back