• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our partnership with Madrid?

We get access to their scouting database.
After Redknapp left we had no chief scout, no scouting reports and where absolutely clueless.
We got access to Real scouting database as part of a partnership deal where we also shared training information.
We bought Dembele after Modric solely due to Real's scouting of him.

I'm sure at least one of our signings this summer has been cheery picked out of real's database.

Marvellous.......!

After Redknapp left we had no chief scout, no scouting reports and where absolutely clueless.
We got access to Real scouting database as part of a partnership deal where we also shared training information.

I'm sure at least one of our signings this summer has been cheery picked out of real's database.

Yeah he was such a big secret playing in the PL already

He was just a panic buy because Levy was too cheap to pay up for Moutinho, a player we needed badly and still do

Last edited:

Wait what? Why did we need Madrid's scouting of a prominent player who played in our own league?

So you agree with me, in a way: get our scouting network sorted and get as far as way as possible.

But as for the notion that we'd prefer players going to Madrid over United, again, any player United want will likely be wanted by other big boys on the continent as well. And I doubt any player would turn down a very hefty wage-packet at the likes of Bayern or Barca when they offer terms after we've hawked him to them for less than we demand from United.

Very, very few players will demand a move to a specific club. Most generally move for more money and a shot at the big trophies: the identity of the shirt they'll be wearing matters little if the team itself is a powerhouse and the wages are suitably obscene. And even if a player is set on United and makes things so bad at the club that we have no choice but to sell him, what's preventing us refusing United's offers and flat out telling the player "Go Barca/Bayern/Juve or go home'? I doubt a player that had burned his bridges with the club would choose to stay at us and sulk when faced with the option of an escape, even if isn't his first choice in England.

We have seen in he past two years that to be true, but I'd like to think that our scouting goes beyond those players with that mentality, but players that want to succeed club wise and money although nice is somewhat secondary, I think you will find though the players that join the PSGs, Monaco's and even the Anzi's are pretty much 3rd ownership driven or known greedy mercenaries from South America, very few are from the countries these teams reside from.

I also think that once Madrid want you why would you want to go elsewhere. I also think that although its detrimental to have this pact with Madrid, Levy clearly has a sour taste in his mouth for lottery winning teams.. as do many fans.

i think when we negotiate our deals it's beneficial that we can say.. Look at Modric and Bale. You too with hard work could achieve that. Doesn't matter what anyone says, that mystique is worth more than money.

Also just to add, unless we build a new stadium we cannot realistically have power over players. The only way to end this cycle is to have the balls to start the stadium, which in turn enables us to go and offer 140k to players like the quality of Ozil. Lets hope come

It could mean real madrid find out if any of our players want to play for them.........ie ask the players respective agents if they want to come e.g bale ,the real madrid and the agent have a chat,say what they are offering in wages and rights, the agent goes to back to the club(spurs)saying real madrid will offer £40 millin for bale,levy says he can go for £85 million,the player signs a pre contract with madrid saying they'll have final bid on the player with spurs saying he won't go for less than £85 million..........meaning the only club prepared to go that high will be madrid because they know bale dream was to play for them and that he won't want to go anywhere else.

I think this special agreement will cease to be now after the bale sale.

I haven't clue where Man ure were coming from thinking they could have had bale,they struggled to buy the players they got yesterday.

Does it make you laugh?

When you pay 40 quid to go to the game, and nothing happens on the pitch apart from a penalty after a dive, it is less funny mate.

At least with Bale we had someone to lift the crowds.

Another of the doom monger phalanx.. Wait for Soldado to get some service from the likes of Lamela and Eriksen and start banging them in, wait of Eriksen to curl home his first sumptuous free kick.. Things will be fine and will get better.

I'm sure all you negative nancies will still find something to moan about though.

It could mean real madrid find out if any of our players want to play for them.........ie ask the players respective agents if they want to come e.g bale ,the real madrid and the agent have a chat,say what they are offering in wages and rights, the agent goes to back to the club(spurs)saying real madrid will offer £40 millin for bale,levy says he can go for £85 million,the player signs a pre contract with madrid saying they'll have final bid on the player with spurs saying he won't go for less than £85 million..........meaning the only club prepared to go that high will be madrid because they know bale dream was to play for them and that he won't want to go anywhere else.

I think this special agreement will cease to be now after the bale sale.

I haven't clue where Man ure were coming from thinking they could have had bale,they struggled to buy the players they got yesterday.

Im pretty sure that 100% of our players would want to play for Real Madrid! The biggest club in the world....I would play for Real over Spurs.

It won't make a blind bit of difference, but I needed to get it off my chest... just emailed the club with the following:

======================================================
To: Tottenham Hotspur Football Club / Daniel Levy

I am a Spurs fan. I have been a Spurs fan since I first found out what football was, back in the mid-1970s. My father is a Spurs fan. He has been a Spurs fan since he moved to London from his home in Dublin back in 1958. I - and my family - love Tottenham Hotspur with a genuinely lifelong passion. That will never change.

We have been Spurs fans through the good times and bad times. While my Dad remembers the glory days of the early 1960s, for me this is arguably the best Spurs have ever been in my lifetime. Right now it's a good time to be a Spurs fan. We have a great team, a great manager and arguably the best chairman in the premiership.

However there is a sour note among the sweetness. Our "Strategic Partnership" with Real Madrid has begun to look an awful lot like "feeder club" status. I do not hold Tottenham Hotspur to blame for the departure of Modric and Bale. I believe we did all we reasonably could to keep them at our great club, but ultimately there's only so much can be done if the player wishes to leave. However, the manner in which the transfers took place suggests a staggering lack of respect from Real Madrid.

The public tapping up of our players, the overt demands from Real Madrid employees (Zinedine Zidane) for Gareth Bale to hand in a transfer request, the building of a stage to announce Bale's arrival almost a week before a deal had been done... these things and a million others are simply unacceptable. They go beyond unprofessional (though they are certainly that) and enter the realm of underhand and deeply disrespectful.

I don't know what benefits we derive from our "Strategic Partnership", but we clearly don't have their two best players of the past two years - so they are getting a lot more out of this relationship than we are (they take our best player and the next day strengthen our biggest rival). As I say, it looks very much like we are their feeder club. And in return we get what? A peek at their scouting database once in a while? Some unspecified "collaboration" between coaching staff? It's hard to see those things as much more than a fig leaf, covering the shame of our capitulation.

If Real Madrid decide to tap up our best player next summer, our "Strategic Partnership" isn't going to stop them, is it? And while ending this relationship won't stop them either, it will at least stop us looking like willing participants in this disrespectful behaviour.

Tottenham Hotspur should publicly announce we are unilaterally ending our "Strategic Partnership" with Real Madrid. And we should publicly denounce the Spanish club for their staggering lack of respect. A failure to do this will just invite the same kind of disrespectful attitude from them next time they decide they want our best player.

Aside from that, thank you for being the best football club in the world.

Yours very sincerely,
etc etc

======================================================

Im pretty sure that 100% of our players would want to play for Real Madrid! The biggest club in the world....I would play for Real over Spurs.

I honestly wouldn't however I cant accept that if I was living the football lifestyle then who knows what my personality would be????

you cant think like that otherwise all excitement is killed as to what we can achieve..... yes I accept that there are bigger players out there than us, yet that would make winning titles all the more precious to me.

If bigger teams are after our players it shows are facilities - coaching set up is a* grade.

our biggest chance of doing something is buying a load of talent...having them for a season and trying to do something special....hang on we just did that!!!!!!!!

enough with Madrid....let it go....

People, think of it someway like this:

We actually got 45 millions from *****al, while they got a player they really didn't need that much. A player who will keep Wenger as their boss for a while longer, but not win them any trophies.
(by "didn't need that much" I obviously mean that they have bigger problems to solve than attacking/creative midfield..)

Perhaps we could view those 45 millions as a small downpayment for what they should have paid for ****bell back in the days...

Fact is, everyone is speculating about what this partnership is or isn't.

The biggest issue most people seem to have is, they buy our best players ... sorry to have reality step in, every club in the world is a selling club, bar two or three. Madrid is a club that is outside our league (them getting better has limited influence on us), they have paid us very well for the players they took, and they have sold us one player on the cheap.

The second issue re Ozil, he wanted CL, wages seemed to be a big issue for many other clubs, and the Scum paid premium for him. Did we think Real was going to turn down the money, just because they have a "partnership" with us?

Fans get emotional, but football is a business, not only was Bale sold for a World Record fee, his wages offered was insane, he was going to go and we got the best deal anyone has ever got.

Fact is, everyone is speculating about what this partnership is or isn't.
You're wrong there. Fact is, most people are basing their conclusions on what the club publicly said the partnership is. Commercial collaboration, links between coaching staff, access to scouting network. That's what we were told. No speculation required.

The biggest issue most people seem to have is, they buy our best players
No, sorry again, but that's not the biggest issue. The biggest issue is the fact that a club we're supposed to be "partners" with is publicly tapping up our best players. Zinedine Zidane is quoted calling for Bale to submit a transfer request FFS. If you don't have a problem with that kind of disrespectful nonsense then that places you in a very small minority of football fans (from any club).

... sorry to have reality step in, every club in the world is a selling club, bar two or three. Madrid is a club that is outside our league (them getting better has limited influence on us), they have paid us very well for the players they took, and they have sold us one player on the cheap.
VDV wasn't "on the cheap". For a player with fitness issues; in the last year of his contract; and who was very unlikely to get much playing time in Madrid... £8m was probably slightly less than we'd have paid if we'd bought him earlier that summer. Madrid dropped the price on deadline day to get him off the books, that's all. We sold him for £2m profit a couple of years later. And that wasn't "on the cheap" or "very expensive". it was roughly what he's worth at this stage in his career.

Also, everyone knows that the massive clubs will always buy the best players from the slightly less massive ones. Again, nobody denies that or even really has a problem with it. We *have* a problem with shameless tapping up (and to be fair, most people here criticised Harry Redknapp for the same thing when it was us doing it).

The second issue re Ozil, he wanted CL, wages seemed to be a big issue for many other clubs, and the Scum paid premium for him. Did we think Real was going to turn down the money, just because they have a "partnership" with us?
No we didn't. But we did think our partnership might have prevented them from publicly tapping up Bale. Y'know... just a bit of bloody respect is all we asked for.

Fans get emotional, but football is a business, not only was Bale sold for a World Record fee, his wages offered was insane, he was going to go and we got the best deal anyone has ever got.
You're right. Football is a business. But I've worked in large corporations and the kind of unprofessional behaviour exhibited by Real Madrid this summer would get someone - quite rightly - a pretty bad reputation in business (well, any business that doesn't involve protection rackets).

DublinSpur, I absolutely have an issue with how Madrid conducts themselves, as I do with Man United (despite the frequent love fest for them here).

That said, I think a lot of people are not acknowledging a couple of things

- Bale was always going to go (highest profile club in the world, 3X Salary, ****ing 300K a week), we were always going to sell at anything above 70-80M
- Maybe, just maybe, it helps the selling club appease their fans when the buyer is the "bad guy"

I work for a very large corporation as well, as several of them do have very bad reputations, and like Madrid, some of the media covers for that.

Back