• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Porto is the exception.

I don't think that you can say Chelsea haven't massively underachieved since Mourinho left. As did Inter. As have Real Madrid this year.

I just don't rate him as a long term option for those reasons.

Added to the stain of hatred he leaves on the club with his win at any cost attitude.

How is it his fault that Chelsea have underachieved since he left when the core of players he left behind still had plenty of years left in them and have been among their best players since he left? Surely the fault for them underachieving must be with the managers that have been there after him without being able to replicate his results with the same players and resources to spend.

Inter have collapsed a bit, but again I'm not sure the fault is his. Surely Benitez and the following managers deserve their portion of the blame. I could understand it if because he left an older team they kept getting gradually worse over a couple of seasons, but the team that won the CL collapsed pretty much instantly. Did the 3 months make the players that much worse? Or was the following manager just not up to it?

How is it his fault that Chelsea have underachieved since he left when the core of players he left behind still had plenty of years left in them and have been among their best players since he left? Surely the fault for them underachieving must be with the managers that have been there after him without being able to replicate his results with the same players and resources to spend.

Inter have collapsed a bit, but again I'm not sure the fault is his. Surely Benitez and the following managers deserve their portion of the blame. I could understand it if because he left an older team they kept getting gradually worse over a couple of seasons, but the team that won the CL collapsed pretty much instantly. Did the 3 months make the players that much worse? Or was the following manager just not up to it?

It's not just that. He doesn't control ego's, he inflates them. It magnifies the issues Chelsea have had and AVB would meet with a similar fate at Madrid.

It's the way he deals with people. That's what does it.

The fault at Inter will partly be his, he has no reason to buy for the future, because the future of the club is not his future. He knows that he will not be there long.

As for United no they were not paupers, but neither were they the richest team around when he took over. They became that under him, it was money that he as manager earned the club and therefore he should be perfectly within his rights to spend it.

IMO this Mourinho effect didn't happen at Chelsea. You can argue it did at Inter with players at the latter side of there career and the FFP rules and Moratti shutting up shop on his spending.

But at Madrid I don't see it at all. Looking at all the players that have joined Madrid in the last 3 years hardly any seem to be north of 24. Carvalho 32 and Adebayor on loan aged 26, but then you have players who were signed like Özil (21), Khedira (23), di María (22), the following year he brings in Coentrão (23), Callejón (24), with misses on Sahin (22) (bargin €10m). Then this year only two transfers in with the emergency buy of Leon in goal who is IMO a good age for a keeper (31) and Modric (26).

How would Mourinho signings tie Madrid down in the future. Wiki although not gospol has outgoings this past season at over €30m.

Last edited:
Remy is not to standard.. as a striker or as a RW!

Not as a RW in a 4-4-2 but as a RW in a 4-3-3 he would work. Regarding whether he's good enough or not, as my post said 'Remy for £8m is the sort of deal I'm expecting us to do in the summer'. Along with Benteke, he's in the value range which we have bought players for the past few years

It's the way he deals with people. That's what does it.

The fault at Inter will partly be his, he has no reason to buy for the future, because the future of the club is not his future. He knows that he will not be there long.

As for United no they were not paupers, but neither were they the richest team around when he took over. They became that under him, it was money that he as manager earned the club and therefore he should be perfectly within his rights to spend it.

Whose responsibility is to set the targets for the club? Their president (and board) sets their targets short term and they give the manager money to spend, they set the restrictions on what kind of players (age, wages etc) that the manager can sign.

Had it not been Mourinho running up the wage budget at Inter with proven players it would have been someone else. Someone else that most likely meanwhile wouldn't have gotten the results he got, someone like Mancini.

IMO this Mourinho effect didn't happen at Chelsea. You can argue it did at Inter with players at the latter side of there career and the FFP rules and Moratti shutting up shop on his spending.

But at Madrid I don't see it at all. Looking at all the players that have joined Madrid in the last 3 years hardly any seem to be north of 24. Carvalho 32 and Adebayor on loan aged 26, but then you have players who were signed like Özil (21), Khedira (23), di María (22), the following year he brings in Coentrão (23), Callejón (24), with misses on Sahin (22) (bargin €10m). Then this year only two transfers in with the emergency buy of Leon in goal who is IMO a good age for a keeper (31) and Modric (26).

How would Mourinho signings tie Madrid down in the future. Wiki although not gospol has outgoings this past season at over €30m.

Agreed, add the excellent looking Varane to that list of his signings at Real. Worth noting that most of those signings probably haven't been on (for Real) massive wages, not like they were signed from big clubs at big leagues.

Since this is the transfer thread :)

I'm not convinced that Remy is better than Defoe. We have two good strikers in Defoe and Ade with Dempsey as an option, we shouldn't look to sign a 26 year old striker who is "just" another good striker. We should look to bring in someone who is a clear improvement on Ade and Defoe or someone who is young enough to have the potential to become a really top class striker.

I would much rather see us bring in Benteke than Remy.

Since this is the transfer thread :)

I'm not convinced that Remy is better than Defoe. We have two good strikers in Defoe and Ade with Dempsey as an option, we shouldn't look to sign a 26 year old striker who is "just" another good striker. We should look to bring in someone who is a clear improvement on Ade and Defoe or someone who is young enough to have the potential to become a really top class striker.

I would much rather see us bring in Benteke than Remy.

nothing wrong in buying both, plus another young potential star

Agreed, add the excellent looking Varane to that list of his signings at Real. Worth noting that most of those signings probably haven't been on (for Real) massive wages, not like they were signed from big clubs at big leagues.

Good spot on Varane. Looks a proper bargin.

I see only one striker being added unless we get good money for Defoe. Ade will stay. AVB's priorities beyond that will be CM and probably LB.

I see only one striker being added unless we get good money for Defoe. Ade will stay. AVB's priorities beyond that will be CM and probably LB.

Agreed. We won't buy a first choice CM unless we're going 4-3-3 though. He doesn't seem to like Bae.

Also have natural width coming back with Townsend.

Apart from striker I think all buys will depend on someone leaving (ie. Parker, Ekotto, Dawson, Defoe and maybe Dempsey, though he's a decent utility player). We MIGHT see Rose as that LB. Gallas will leave, but not be replaced. Hudd and Livermore are question marks.

Anyone know of a Home Grown listing for our squad. Will be interesting whether players such as Hudd and Livermore earning a place over an import because of stricter rulings. Like you said Jord, bringing back Rose for Ekotto could be a forced more.

Agreed. We won't buy a first choice CM unless we're going 4-3-3 though. He doesn't seem to like Bae.

Also have natural width coming back with Townsend.

Unless he thinks Huddlestone, Livermore or Carroll (you can add Holtby as a central midfielder to that I suppose) are ready to step up/become somewhat regular starters we must sign a central midfielder even if we plan to continue with 4-2-3-1 in my opinion. We're just depend on Dembele way too much. Sandro and Parker are not a good partnership, Parker is decent cover for Sandro, but we have no real cover for Dembele.

A player that could work alongside both Dembele and Sandro, and who also could work in a 4-3-3 would be the ideal signing. Not sure who that player is though.

Apart from striker I think all buys will depend on someone leaving (ie. Parker, Ekotto, Dawson, Defoe and maybe Dempsey, though he's a decent utility player). We MIGHT see Rose as that LB. Gallas will leave, but not be replaced. Hudd and Livermore are question marks.

That makes sense to me. Our squad is at a good size at the moment so if we sign someone we will be looking to sell someone. Not sure if I quite agree with wording it as "will depend on someone leaving" as I don't think we must sit around and wait for an offer or try to sell a player to be able to buy someone. More just that if we sign someone then selling someone will come as a result.

Unless he thinks Huddlestone, Livermore or Carroll (you can add Holtby as a central midfielder to that I suppose) are ready to step up/become somewhat regular starters we must sign a central midfielder even if we plan to continue with 4-2-3-1 in my opinion. We're just depend on Dembele way too much. Sandro and Parker are not a good partnership, Parker is decent cover for Sandro, but we have no real cover for Dembele.

A player that could work alongside both Dembele and Sandro, and who also could work in a 4-3-3 would be the ideal signing. Not sure who that player is though.

Agreed but that's just semantics. I would say to keep the 4-2-3-1 we'd need to buy a backup for Dembele.

However it will likely depend on how Carroll is seen. Don't think Hudd has impressed him or he'd have made more starts.

I'd keep Livermore around though, even if we stayed as the two in midfield. As a fifth midfielder he's not a bad option. He's also played a decent amount at CB so he'd be a fifth CB too.

Jenas was always the key. This summer we're on the front foot. :)

Unfortunately Bentley has one more year left on his contract. :(

So looking at it 8 players that have been on our books for 3 seasons before there 21st birthday in a squad of 25.
So, who from this list fits the criteria

Keepers
24 Friedel
25 Lloris
57 Archer

Defenders
4 Kaboul
5 Vertonghen
13 Gallas
16 Naughton
20 Dawson
28 Walker
32 Assou-Ekotto
33 Caulker
Fryers

Midfielders
2 Dempsey
6 Huddlestone
7 Lennon
8 Parker
11 Bale
22 Sigurdsson
23 Holtby
29 Livermore
30 Sandro
43 Fredericks
44 Ceballos
46 Carroll
Forwards
10 Adebayor
18 Defoe
19 Dembele
41 Coulthirst

Anyone know of a Home Grown listing for our squad. Will be interesting whether players such as Hudd and Livermore earning a place over an import because of stricter rulings. Like you said Jord, bringing back Rose for Ekotto could be a forced more.

Home Grown 2013/14
Club Trained: Smith, Caulker, Rose, Livermore, Parrett, Mason, Townsend, Lennon, Bale, Obika
Association Trained: Walker, Naughton, Dawson, Hall, Parker, Huddlestone, Bentley, Sigurdsson, Defoe

Need 8 in total, 4 to be club trained.
And it's worth to remember that it's only needed if you want 25 senior players registered in your squad.
If a club only got 7 home grown, they will only be allowed 24 seniors. 6 home grown, 23 seniors etc.

Back