• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What do we need, and how will Levy go about fixing it?

The deadline for submitting the 25 man squad for the PL is tomorrow. Do we think the likes of Lloris and Dier will be included in the squad given they have been left out entirely of the match day squads so far?

Can't see them being included at all TBH. Would be shocked

It’s really not
I mean you could trawl through here and see the players that now everyone thinks we should have sold… but didn’t… and how those views have flipped

I do agree fans will get over it quick… if the outcome is good and decent. But if it’s more rebuilding or more or something perceived as negative the fall back will be “we pay the highest prices in the world, so we should have the best in the world”
It’s the standard answer
Yeh agree with this

I mean I don't think Levy cares what the fans think to a point, conversely I think he cares about the club though more than people give him credit for though and hence the decisions he makes.

But that's by the by, the idea that the fans would support selling star players or even call it right themselves (as you say as proven in the past)...I'm not so sure TBH
The point is who cares. We've sold star players in the past and the club hasn't collapsed so why now is this some sticking point especially if the aim is to improve the club?

The fans won't give a brick 3 matches into the season if we have bought well. So trying to use fan fury as a stop is silly. It's never stopped us making unpopular decisions previously and it shouldn't in the future.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

The point is who cares. We've sold star players in the past and the club hasn't collapsed so why now is this some sticking point especially if the aim is to improve the club?

The fans won't give a brick 3 matches into the season if we have bought well. So trying to use fan fury as a stop is silly. It's never stopped us making unpopular decisions previously and it shouldn't in the future.

I didn't say it was a stop, was just an observation on how fans can be contrary on views and often forget that later down the line their previous views on players. So it's not as one way or the other in terms of how fans will react.

I actually think we have done well at that judgement, especially at WHL when we had to flip to increase revenues.

I don't think there is as much a need for it now although the potential of large revenues from developing youth is an added bonus

Fans care
Levy doesn’t
That’s why he can run a big business
But fans care
We will always be here as a club but losing your best players is never a good thing unless there is a plan and progress
We had fans judging Vicario on one game. A game he didn’t make any errors in
Fans can be quick to judge, quick to complain and quick to flip back

I didn't say it was a stop, was just an observation on how fans can be contrary on views and often forget that later down the line their previous views on players. So it's not as one way or the other in terms of how fans will react.

I actually think we have done well at that judgement, especially at WHL when we had to flip to increase revenues.

I don't think there is as much a need for it now although the potential of large revenues from developing youth is an added bonus
You've always got to keep improving by Chur ung the playing staff. If that means selling someone high profile to bring in a more suitable player so be it.

What we can't do is what we did in 2018 and rest on our laurels thinking the squad is good enough. It's never good enough. It can always be improved and sometimes it will take losing a player to do so.

I think the fans will grow to understand but truly even if they don't I don't think it matters.

You've always got to keep improving by Chur ung the playing staff. If that means selling someone high profile to bring in a more suitable player so be it.

What we can't do is what we did in 2018 and rest on our laurels thinking the squad is good enough. It's never good enough. It can always be improved and sometimes it will take losing a player to do so.

I think the fans will grow to understand but truly even if they don't I don't think it matters.

We won’t rest on our laurels
We can’t
We haven’t actually achieved anything
We haven’t in reality for a long time as we haven’t had silverware
But … we do have to keep on buying and keep on selling
That’s how you don’t stand still

While I agree with @Bishop's philosophy, the flip side of the coin is that if you don't have an excellent scouting system or if you get your signings wrong for some critical positions, there's going to be a backlash. A poor reaction from the fans and the press getting on your back can really wreak havoc on your team (loss of confidence, too many players wanting to leave at the same time and so on).

That's why, if you want to take that route (ie sell even your best players to improve the squad as a whole), you need to be 100% committed. You can't go and sign a manager who will never accept losing their best players (Mourinho and Conte say hello), you have to accept that, every once in a while, you will have to write off a season and you can't go and sign a dozen players with minimum scouting in the hope that 'one of them will come good'. It's a difficult model to implement as it requires vision and preparation but it's certainly a better one than not signing anyone for a year and a half...

So our initial problem was that our best players got poached and unsettled by bigger clubs offering higher wages and silverware.

The Poch era stopped this for a bit with top 4 and league winners not being set in stone and regular CL qualification appeasing players ambitions and no doubt bonuses.

Unfortunately the squad was allowed to go stale, we sold one player in his prime to City which I never understood and we've spent much more trying to unsuccessfuly replace him.

The remaining squad aged, inferior replacements brought that couldn't improve the team, players aged, lost form and most of them went for a fraction of their peak worth.

There have been times when I've felt Levy hasn't invested when the team was strong and I think we need to change the mentality in this regard but the other issue we are recovering from was the lack of any succession plan.

I think Levy always took it personally when we lost our top players but despite maximising the transfer fees on most cases we had nothing lined up that came close to replacing them.

The kane sale may well be the first time that it has worked for us, with other positions being addressed with a clear plan of the types of players we want.

Maybe Ange by cutting his teeth with lower budgets can help steer our dof and Levy into identifying players that are more suitable for the way we want to play earlier in their career and if we are realistic that any breakout star will eventually want to pick up some league titles / play for a European super power and that no player stays at a club forever, we have a player waiting in the wings to step in and confidence the money will be reinvested to continuously improve the squad.

What you also see is on a great system individuals can look a lot better than what they are, I think of Poch's Southampton players that got moves and we nowhere near as effective.

There's a real knack (and ruthlessness) to identifying when a player is just starting to decline or lose focus, but it's made easier I'd you know you have a replacement coming through. Fergie was very good at this.

Back