• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What do we need, and how will Levy go about fixing it?

NorwegianSpursFan

Neil Ruddock
This is not a «what would you do» thread, more a what will Levy do to fix the problems.

He loves a bargain, so I think he’ll keep a keen eye on the relegation battle. Maddison, Barnes, Pickford, JWP and probably a few more of interest.

I think he’ll want a manager that continues with a back three after spenning 60/70 million on pure attacking wingbacks in Porro and Udogie. In that case we’ll definately need at the very least one cb, preferably two. Probably some creativity in cm and a new gk.

If we go with a 3-5-2 we’ve got essentially 3 positions to fill, gk, cb and am.

If we get the right cb we might get away with romero and lengtet either side, but who that is that will be on Levys budget?

Looks like there’s interest in Raya for gk, haven’t seen alot of him but he seems to be highly rated.

Also looks like there’s interest i maddison, he’d decent imo and would fit well.

So that would leave us with:

Raya/new gk

romero - new cb - lenglet

porro - bissouma - bentancour - udogie

Maddison/ new am

Son - Kane

Got a really good bench other than defence, and a new dof has got a big job getting alot of player sold.

what’s your take, how will Levy go about this?

This is not a «what would you do» thread, more a what will Levy do to fix the problems.

He loves a bargain, so I think he’ll keep a keen eye on the relegation battle. Maddison, Barnes, Pickford, JWP and probably a few more of interest.

I think he’ll want a manager that continues with a back three after spenning 60/70 million on pure attacking wingbacks in Porro and Udogie. In that case we’ll definately need at the very least one cb, preferably two. Probably some creativity in cm and a new gk.

If we go with a 3-5-2 we’ve got essentially 3 positions to fill, gk, cb and am.

If we get the right cb we might get away with romero and lengtet either side, but who that is that will be on Levys budget?

Looks like there’s interest in Raya for gk, haven’t seen alot of him but he seems to be highly rated.

Also looks like there’s interest i maddison, he’d decent imo and would fit well.

So that would leave us with:

Raya/new gk

romero - new cb - lenglet

porro - bissouma - bentancour - udogie

Maddison/ new am

Son - Kane

Got a really good bench other than defence, and a new dof has got a big job getting alot of player sold.

what’s your take, how will Levy go about this?
Hopefully get Rangnik and Naglesmann and leave them to sort the rest with Munn.

He needs to begin with three things,

Firstly and most importantly decide what he wants us to be.
Stop chopping and changing.
Are we a club that is long term positioning itself to take advantage of when others are stumbling but will continue on our own path until those opportunities arise.
Or are we after a quick fix and change everything everytime things get sticky.
I hope its the former.

Then he needs to get a manager that will work in those parameters.
One that isn't going to be constantly checking his phone for better offers.
A manager that understands our trajectory.
A manager that can see our potential.

Then he needs a dof.
I know most will say this is the wrong way round, but i don't believe that to be true.
A dof should be using his contacts to find players to suit the managers system.
What's the point in a ceo or dof picking players to play a system the manager doesn't want to play?
We say that managers lose the dressing room because players don't by in or believe in the managers system.
Why would it be different with managers and dof?

Give it time.
Changes happen quickly in football.
The rapid fall of Liverpool and Chelsea, the quick rise of utd, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and arsenal.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine are really the club we should be looking at atm, no big signings, a new manager and an appointment that brought a unity and feel good factor to the whole club.
New owners aren't going to happen, but there's an appointment out there that can do the similar for us.
Look at where you want us to be in three to five years.

Lastly, dont focus on the cost of a transfer (in or out), focus on the cost of it not happening.

Are we a club that is long term positioning itself to take advantage of when others are stumbling but will continue on our own path until those opportunities arise.
I hope its the former.

Then he needs a dof.
I know most will say this is the wrong way round, but i don't believe that to be true.
What's the point in a ceo or dof picking players to play a system the manager doesn't want to play?
We say that managers lose the dressing room because players don't by in or believe in the managers system.

Give it time.
The rapid fall of Liverpool and Chelsea, the quick rise of utd, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and arsenal.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine are really the club we should be looking at atm, no big signings, a new manager and an appointment that brought a unity and feel good factor to the whole club.
New owners aren't going to happen, but there's an appointment out there that can do the similar for us.

Lastly, dont focus on the cost of a transfer (in or out), focus on the cost of it not happening.

So if we end up sacking the coach in the future we'd also have to bring in a new dof that suits the new coach?

Then he needs a dof.
The DoF should be picking a manager that plays a style in line with what the club wants.
The DoF should then be buying players to suit that style. The DoF is there to ensure continuity between managers.

So if we end up sacking the coach in the future we'd also have to bring in a new dof that suits the new coach?

We just about do.
But no that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that the coach/manager should be identifing players /positions for the dof to sign.
The dof should not be picking players /positions he thinks the team needs.

The DoF should be picking a manager that plays a style in line with what the club wants.
The DoF should then be buying players to suit that style. The DoF is there to ensure continuity between managers.

Dofs move almost as regularly as managers.
I would have mentored mason to be dof, someone who knows football, knows how dressing rooms work, knows and loves the club and will stick around.

Dofs move almost as regularly as managers.
I would have mentored mason to be dof, someone who knows football, knows how dressing rooms work, knows and loves the club and will stick around.
Yes, but it's the same with a DoF, they should be following the clubs philosophy on how we want to play and sticking to players that suit that.
Mason wouldn't have the contacts to be DoF at this time. He looks like he has the makings of a good manager and that's obviously what he wants to do.

We just about do.
But no that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that the coach/manager should be identifing players /positions for the dof to sign.
The dof should not be picking players /positions he thinks the team needs.

Personally think the dof should pick the coach and players that play the way the club wants to play. The coach will have a say on what positions he thinks needs strengthening and will also have a veto on what players he doesn't want. Ideally they should work together. The dof giving options for the coach to pick from. We also need to bring in club buys like bale or walker, who may not be ready straight away.

I hope its the former.

Then he needs a dof.

Give it time.

Great post right here! [emoji1419]

A key point for me is “… are really the club we should be looking at atm, no big signings, a new manager and an appointment that brought a unity and feel good factor to the whole club.”

And this is what our supporters should be spending their time, energy and voices doing. Instead of criticizing & perpetuating negativity.

COYS

I hope its the former.

Then he needs a dof.

Give it time.

A lot to unpack in that

First piece, yes agree, it's an odd flaw to highlight as mostly Levy has played the long game. I'm not as concerned with some around how many managers, I am concerned with style/type switch inbetween, stay consistent and it doesn't matter if the manager is there 3 years or 6.

Second piece is a given, we have more money now, but we are still going to need to develop some players alongside the expensive buys. And fudge the managers that could give a brick about the club (it adds to the toxicity)

Re DoF, I actually like the concept of Levy -> Munn -> DoF -> Manager, hopefully that leaves us a little less vulnerable to a single change in any of the pieces

Time, sorry mate, the issue here isn't Levy, huge number of posters on this board will answer "they have had 20 years", and new owners would get even less time. Social media/Sky/BT/etc have destroyed what fans perceive themselves as, entertain me, give me bragging rights over my mates or it's my right to brick on everything constantly. This season I've heard City fans boo their team at HT, I've heard our away fans outsing Anfield while we were fudging losing .. wtf?

We need a manager who can work with a lot of the players we have brought in recently
I don’t mean Tanguy and the likes
I mean Romero, Kulu, Bentacur, porro, Sarr, Ndogie,Spence, Bissouma… all very large outlays and new to the team in one way, shape or form
The investments we have made in the squad are really significant. The issue has been the wrong ones at wrong time (Gil and Royal being classic)
we also need a new guy to be ruthless with those that dont make the grade. Something conte did too.
That means we need a smart DOF

the DOF needs to own the footballing philosophy correctly the club and it needs ti be clear if not overly communicated

I’m convinced a lot of these things can be fixed really quickly with the right people

on the pitch I’d like a GK, 2 new CBS (move Romero central and let him be the presser)
An additional creative CM. A new wide forward or Cf. I’d sign Danjuma myself

id play 3-5-2 with the midfield 3 being a harassing presser (Bentacur or Pierre) a holder (Bissouma or Skipp) and a creator (Kulu, Kane when we get desperate and an additional new player)

id then have the wing backs play higher than the midfield when attacking meaning the defence pushes up too

yep we would get countered but that’s the gamble

Romero is the presser into midfield and the new CBS we don’t have play more like a back 2

I can't stand the sport but he needs to work on getting an NFL team based at the ground. Because an extra 30m 9 times a season is 270m. Half of that onto the existing transfer budget and we can become Emirates Marketing Project.

I can't stand the sport but he needs to work on getting an NFL team based at the ground. Because an extra 30m 9 times a season is 270m. Half of that onto the existing transfer budget and we can become Emirates Marketing Project.

That was always in the plan, worst kept secret in the world, probably would have happened already of not for Covid.

Zero chance you build a second pitch, second changing rooms, media rooms, consult NFL during building, for 2-3 games a season

We need a manager who can work with a lot of the players we have brought in recently
I don’t mean Tanguy and the likes
I mean Romero, Kulu, Bentacur, porro, Sarr, Ndogie,Spence, Bissouma… all very large outlays and new to the team in one way, shape or form
The investments we have made in the squad are really significant. The issue has been the wrong ones at wrong time (Gil and Royal being classic)
we also need a new guy to be ruthless with those that dont make the grade. Something conte did too.
That means we need a smart DOF

the DOF needs to own the footballing philosophy correctly the club and it needs ti be clear if not overly communicated

I’m convinced a lot of these things can be fixed really quickly with the right people

on the pitch I’d like a GK, 2 new CBS (move Romero central and let him be the presser)
An additional creative CM. A new wide forward or Cf. I’d sign Danjuma myself

id play 3-5-2 with the midfield 3 being a harassing presser (Bentacur or Pierre) a holder (Bissouma or Skipp) and a creator (Kulu, Kane when we get desperate and an additional new player)

id then have the wing backs play higher than the midfield when attacking meaning the defence pushes up too

yep we would get countered but that’s the gamble

Romero is the presser into midfield and the new CBS we don’t have play more like a back 2

Core -> Romero, Royal, Son, Kane, Bentancu, Deki, Richi, Skipp, PEH, Bissouma
To evaluate -> Sarr, Gil, Udogie, Spence, Danjuma, Lenglet, Porro
? -> Perisic, Davies, Forster (I assume we keep as backup GK)
Path to 1st team plan -> Scarlett, Devine and a couple of others (some we buy)
Move on -> Ndombele, Lo Celso, Rodon, Winks, Reguilon, Sess, Sanchez, Tanganga, Dier, Lloris

If you look at that, you have about 19 players you could work with and evaluate, 10 you have to move on, probably 6-7 required coming in (GK, CB x2/x3, CM, LWB)

DoF/Manager need to agree that this is the model, and while we can probably make changes to those groups by one or two (a specific player out or in), this is it, with a plan to improve over next 2-4 windows aligned.

Core -> Romero, Royal, Son, Kane, Bentancu, Deki, Richi, Skipp, PEH, Bissouma
To evaluate -> Sarr, Gil, Udogie, Spence, Danjuma, Lenglet, Porro
? -> Perisic, Davies, Forster (I assume we keep as backup GK)
Path to 1st team plan -> Scarlett, Devine and a couple of others (some we buy)
Move on -> Ndombele, Lo Celso, Rodon, Winks, Reguilon, Sess, Sanchez, Tanganga, Dier, Lloris

If you look at that, you have about 19 players you could work with and evaluate, 10 you have to move on, probably 6-7 required coming in (GK, CB x2/x3, CM, LWB)

DoF/Manager need to agree that this is the model, and while we can probably make changes to those groups by one or two (a specific player out or in), this is it, with a plan to improve over next 2-4 windows aligned.
Can’t argue with any of that

Back