• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

allowing young players a year to settle isn't blind faith
I have said previously, the notion of Poch giving players "a year to settle in" is fanciful. Yes Poch has shown patience with Son and Lamela, but both showed some quality, (albeit they were not finished articles), from the start. Janssen has not shown such quality yet. This is the reality of what Poch is trying to create, a young, hungry, high quality team. If you don't make the cut he will move you on quickly. Janssen needs to produce some quality this season to remain at Spurs next season imo.

Im glad someone else has seen that too

Ive said it a lot on this thread but Jansenn played in Holland a completely different way to how he is playing for us right now.... I can only put it down to confidence

And a comparison with Gabbiadini would be relevant if Gabbiadini was play second fiddle rather than being first choice and hadn't scored with his first chances

A better comparison is with Batshuayi who also has an equally poor record din the league with very limited playing time
Batshuayi 5 goals in 18 appearances, Janssen 4 goals in 24. Records are not dissimilar but a critical difference is that Janssen has been unable to score from open play.

I have said previously, the notion of Poch giving players "a year to settle in" is fanciful. Yes Poch has shown patience with Son and Lamela, but both showed some quality, (albeit they were not finished articles), from the start. Janssen has not shown such quality yet. This is the reality of what Poch is trying to create, a young, hungry, high quality team. If you don't make the cut he will move you on quickly. Janssen needs to produce some quality this season to remain at Spurs next season imo.

Maybe the idea of Poch giving them a year is fanciful (I'd wager however someone turning it in on the training pitch would be given time) but Stephen H was referring to supporters showing blind faith, not Poch - I and many others who have 'defended' Janssen over the season so far will hold off on writing a player off until we have seen more of them than we have of him.

Batshuayi 5 goals in 18 appearances, Janssen 4 goals in 24. Records are not dissimilar but a critical difference is that Janssen has been unable to score from open play.

For a start I'd ignore cup games as we throw teams together for them

So in league games their records almost identical, 1 goal in 14/15 appearances

For a start I'd ignore cup games as we throw teams together for them

So in league games their records almost identical, 1 goal in 14/15 appearances
I would count all competitive games mate because the factors affecting one will generally affect both.

What it appears, is that currently Batshuayi and Janssen are not getting many minutes on the pitch, but when they do Batshuayi is more likely to score from open play than Janssen.

I would count all competitive games mate because the factors affecting one will generally affect both.

What it appears, is that currently Batshuayi and Janssen are not getting many minutes on the pitch, but when they do Batshuayi is more likely to score from open play than Janssen.

I disagree as Jansenn has played more Cup games with make shift teams - I never judge a player when he is thrown into a made up team like we did vs gillingham

Maybe the idea of Poch giving them a year is fanciful (I'd wager however someone turning it in on the training pitch would be given time) but Stephen H was referring to supporters showing blind faith, not Poch - I and many others who have 'defended' Janssen over the season so far will hold off on writing a player off until we have seen more of them than we have of him.
We could probably speculate that given the number of competitive minutes he has recently played even in cup games, he is unlikely to be "turning it on " in training.

I have said it before, Janssen has my full support, down the lane, while he wears a Spurs shirt. Personally I haven't seen a lot of footballing evidence to suggest he will be a success, his game seeems rather one dimensional but he does show a lot of heart and he has the confidence still to step up and take penalties. I hope he proves me wrong starting at Gent on Thursday.

Last edited:
I disagree as Jansenn has played more Cup games with make shift teams - I never judge a player when he is thrown into a made up team like we did vs gillingham
Batshuayi has played in make shift cup teams too and scored. Surely playing the mighty Gillingham is an opportunity to show case your talent what ever team is around you.

Son has managed to play well in cup games this season and I recall him scoring against Leicester in the Cup last season.

Batshuayi has played in make shift cup teams too and scored. Surely playing the mighty Gillingham is an opportunity to show case your talent what ever team is around you.

Son has managed to play well in cup games this season and I recall him scoring against Leicester in the Cup last season.

But Jansenn came on and scored vs Gillingham. He won a one and scored it

Chelsea have not played teams as weak and as thrown together in the cup as we have as they haven't had as many games full stop

I get where your going but my whole point was about their performances in the league for the top 2 sides (before last night)

I will ALWAYS back a player who wears the Spurs shirt! So should we all when they turn out for the club.

This however should not make us blind to shortcomings in the players makeup when it is as marked as it is with this lad.
He is not what the team needs in a striker/frontman. He may well suit another/different setup/system and shine, stranger things have happened.
This 'give that player time' is fine for a club with a large squad and money to burn, we are not that club, also it is becoming increasingly difficult to give that time, if not impossible, when you are trying to win things as we are and on a very tight budget.

We do not have time to let £17m pound outlays acclimatise like of chelsea's of this world do with likes of Batshuayi (£33m?) we are in a more brick or bust situation with recruitment.

Vincent, as I've said before has many great attributes with one of his greatest being his energy and commitment. Sadly for him and Spurs, these are not always enough to bring success.

Last edited:
I will ALWAYS back a player who wears the Spurs shirt! So should we all when they turn out for the club.

This however should not make us blind to shortcomings in the players makeup when it is as marked as it is with this lad.
He is not what the team needs in a striker/frontman. He may well suit another/different setup/system and shine, stranger things have happened.
This 'give that player time' is fine for a club with a large squad and money to burn, we are not that club, also it is becoming increasingly difficult to give that time, if not impossible, when you are trying to win things as we are and on a very tight budget.

We do not have time to let £17m pound outlays acclimatise like of chelsea's of this world do with likes of Batshuayi (£33m?) we are in a more brick or bust situation with recruitment.

Vincent, as I've said before has many great attributes with one of his greatest being his energy and commitment. Sadly for him and Spurs, these are not always enough to bring success.

I was just clearing up that giving a player time doesn't equate to blind faith.

Back