• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Janssen looks like a good player and the all round contribution of a striker is important, especially in our system. But it is absolute horsesh1t to suggest that goals don't matter. All the top strikers score goals, all the best teams have outstanding goal-scorers. And someone said Benzema - last season, he hit 24 league goals in 27 games! He's also scored 20+ goals in all competitions for the past 6 seasons running. Over his whole career, he's a 1 in 2 goal-scorer. If he only scored 5 goals a season, he wouldn't be where he is!

Doesn't matter though, Janssen will score plenty of goals.

Benzema.

Players roles are more nuanced than defenders defend and strikers score.

Not sure Benzema is a good example! But on your second point i agree.

Didn't Pep suggest recently that he would tolerate typical goalkeeping errors with Claudio Bravo because of his strengths with the ball at his feet? That basically means he doesn't have believe a GK's job is to stop goals but more to improve the collective as a whole. Otherwise Hart would still be there.

He reminds me of Ricky Lambert in his Southampton days, we have not had anyone to do that since Poch arrived.

I do not think scoring goals is what it will all be about for Janssen, I think he will be told to run defenders about so players coming forward can get more goals. With this in mind I think Alli will get goals on a level of Lallana when he was at Southampton because Janssen will create so much space for him.

Janssen does not need to ever score a goal for spurs in the league to be a success, all that he needs to be a success is for us to win games.
I agree but tbf no-one said this about Ade when he was violating defences in Bale's 26 goal season.

Typical Janssen, playing for a contract.

Reactions: DTA
Janssen looks like a good player and the all round contribution of a striker is important, especially in our system. But it is absolute horsesh1t to suggest that goals don't matter. All the top strikers score goals, all the best teams have outstanding goal-scorers. And someone said Benzema - last season, he hit 24 league goals in 27 games! He's also scored 20+ goals in all competitions for the past 6 seasons running. Over his whole career, he's a 1 in 2 goal-scorer. If he only scored 5 goals a season, he wouldn't be where he is!

Doesn't matter though, Janssen will score plenty of goals.

I don't think that should be the focus of people's attention whilst he is settling in.

Isn't it better that he creates two goals a game but doesn't score himself, than is maybe just a fox in the box and only scores one a game, creating nothing for others?

In that case he better stop calling himself a striker. A striker scores goals. If he doesnt score goals then he is a crap striker. Someone mentioned Benzema - you must be joking. Go look at Benzema's records. Janssen has a good hold up game - true. However I repeat his main job is to score.

Not sure Benzema is a good example! But on your second point i agree.

Didn't Pep suggest recently that he would tolerate typical goalkeeping errors with Claudio Bravo because of his strengths with the ball at his feet? That basically means he doesn't have believe a GK's job is to stop goals but more to improve the collective as a whole. Otherwise Hart would still be there.

In my opinion, Bravo is as good a GK in terms of other attributes as Hart. His plus in Pep's view over Hart is that Pep believes Bravo is better with the ball at his feet. If Bravo were to start conceding nonsensical goals - he would be benched fast!!

In my opinion, Bravo is as good a GK in terms of other attributes as Hart. His plus in Pep's view over Hart is that Pep believes Bravo is better with the ball at his feet. If Bravo were to start conceding nonsensical goals - he would be benched fast!!

he's been doing that for his entire career

I agree but tbf no-one said this about Ade when he was violating defences in Bale's 26 goal season.

Typical Janssen, playing for a contract.

There were some of us making this point back then. Same as Benzema, he made Bale (Ronaldo) more effective as a secondary attacker.

There were some of us making this point back then. Same as Benzema, he made Bale (Ronaldo) more effective as a secondary attacker.

And what about that former Leicester, Liverpool and England striker, Emile Heskey, while nor prolific himself, others, including Michael Owen said how much they enjoyed playing with him and credited him with many of their goals.

It's about the team. If Janssen's presence in the lineup adds an extra 15-20 goals a season, whether he scores them or creates them or opens up the space for others to score, then he'll be a success

It was an interesting earlier post by @Sexagenarianlover who compared Janssen to Rickie Lambert when he was under Poch.
Do people think Janssen will allow us the option of going 4-3-3?

Janssen is not the problem in a 4-3-3, the issue is if you played Son on the left who plays on the right? I would not be keen on playing Dele and Eriksen as either LF or RF so where do you fit them in?

Janssen is not the problem in a 4-3-3, the issue is if you played Son on the left who plays on the right? I would not be keen on playing Dele and Eriksen as either LF or RF so where do you fit them in?

Lamela RWF

Dier, Dembele and Alli as the central 3.

It was nice to see Janssen scoring against Gillingham even if it was a penalty. But I think Janssen works too hard for his liking. He should work less hard and be more composed in front of goal. A good example is the chance he wasted against Sunderland when he shot over the goal. I think he should try to "place" the ball into the goal more instead of trying to shoot into goal all the time.

A win today is paramount, Janssen scoring is not. It's okay if he builds form slowly. He's got games coming thick and fast, so steady, focused performances...and the goals will come. You can't force it.

Janssen is a handful for defenders, and he can finish well tho we haven't seen it yet. You don't become top scorer of the top league in your country by being lucky. He's not completely polished, at 22, plenty of time to get better. By the time Kane is fit again, lets hope he has to earn his place back because Janssen has become key to the team...

I don't think that should be the focus of people's attention whilst he is settling in.

Spot on for me. Let's give him some time and see how he does when he's confident and on form before focusing on his goal tally.

It was nice to see Janssen scoring against Gillingham even if it was a penalty. But I think Janssen works too hard for his liking. He should work less hard and be more composed in front of goal. A good example is the chance he wasted against Sunderland when he shot over the goal. I think he should try to "place" the ball into the goal more instead of trying to shoot into goal all the time.

If he wasn't working that hard I don't think we would have signed him.

Back