• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

What football culture is that?

Nervousness can definately affect your technique for example and we can't fault someone for being a bit nervous. But sure, he's no Berbatov.

Very few players in world football have Berbatovs technique. Even Berbatov sometimes didn't have Berbatovs technique !

What football culture is that?

Nervousness can definately affect your technique for example and we can't fault someone for being a bit nervous. But sure, he's no Berbatov.

True his technique is not as good as Berbatov and yes nervousness can affect it. I have noted to myself to go watch him play for Holland so that I can check him out in an environment that he is used to.

On my origin, I am Nigerian and played football in 5-a-side, 11-a-side, street and one version we call monkey posts (y'all call it 2v2 i think). I played ball from school to uni level and even in some English FA tourneys back in the university. In terms of culture, I have some idea of how Brazillian, English, Italian, Arabic, some African and Asian nations et al are set up. I have reduced my participation in football severely. There was a time that watching football for just 5 mins would trigger instant migraines.

On the size, dont be ridiculous. Janssen is not that tall. It is also not because of his shot during the Sunderland game. Technique alone doesnt make a player.

I too am completely baffled about what people feel is lacking from Janssen's "technique".... Technique to do what?....

Control the ball?.... Looks good to me.
Hold the ball up?.... Looks excellent to me.
Win headers?.... Looks good to me.
Find space?.... Looks good to me.
Pass the ball?.... Again, looks good to me.
Dribble with the ball?.... I admit that this doesn't look to be a strength of Janssen's, but I don't think we really have that high on the list of what we want from our number 9 do we?
Get into goalscoring positions?.... Looks good to me based on his time in The Netherlands and also the fact that he has got into a few for us already in the limited minutes he has played for us.
Shooting? (0 from 2 at the moment).... Perhaps that is a concern for some? However the highlights of his goals for AZ seem to suggest that shooting is his strong point? I am certainly not concerned about him missing a couple of shots.

Absolute cobblers

You need to see the guy play for a start - not 10 minute spells at the end of games

I remember two world class players not starting well and having idiots critique them... Thierry Henry and Dennis Berkamp!!!

I understand technique very well. I've played to a decent standard, done a bit of coaching and been going to the football since I was 4!!!

I condo makek generalised comments like yourself about football culture based on your name but I won't ... But don't try to judge my knowledge without asking first.

And to make it relevant is Lamella a Poor player??? Reason I bring him up is he because he looked poor to start with and now looks like a top player

I didnt judge your knowledge and don't get all emotionally dimensional on me. You started with the snide remarks. I know nothing about you and you know nothing about me. The Internet is a faceless entity.

My name offers you no clues at all to where I come from. Perhaps my location does for people who are from my neck of the woods. The only information you have is what I offer you. For all I know you could be Pochettino himself.

What I do have is my opinion and IMHO the player I have seen so far doesnt have brilliant technique. Can he improve? Yes. Do I rate him? Yes. You dont become numero uno for the Netherlands by being shiite. He is also 22 and there is scope for improvement.

But note all I have said is my opinion which I doubt matters to VJ, Spurs or the coaching facility. It is MY opinion which was mentioned during a discussion.

Here is apparently our scouts views on him and clearly why we signed him

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.hi...enham-scout-ian-broomfield-has/?client=safari

Gray claims that Broomfield doesn't think Janssen is 'fantastic' at anything, his all-round game means he will fit in at White Hart Lane, and Gray says he can't wait to see Janssen get a regular run in the team.

"They will still be getting to know him as a player but the man who was behind bringing him to the club was Ian Broomfield, who I speak to quite a lot,” said Gray. “He does a lot of the dealings at Tottenham. I asked him what he was like and he said he is not fantastic at anything, he is not the quickest, he is not the strongest, he is not the best in the air, but his all-round game is fitted to the way Tottenham play.”

Gray claims that Broomfield doesn't think Janssen is 'fantastic' at anything, his all-round game means he will fit in at White Hart Lane, and Gray says he can't wait to see Janssen get a regular run in the team.

"They will still be getting to know him as a player but the man who was behind bringing him to the club was Ian Broomfield, who I speak to quite a lot,” said Gray. “He does a lot of the dealings at Tottenham. I asked him what he was like and he said he is not fantastic at anything, he is not the quickest, he is not the strongest, he is not the best in the air, but his all-round game is fitted to the way Tottenham play.”

All round game... That's because he has very good technique at everything and has no weaknesses. Yes he could be come fantastic but clearly there no negatives have been identified by the club

What is this technique that you have an issue with???

He has played about 180 minutes of competitive football for us a no games as a starter

He has had about 10 shot maybe and he has had some passes to deal with and also help create...

I can't fathom out how you Judge someone's technique in very short cameos

@afsoc4life - where is my snide remark???

I think that most people would say that Kane was a good all-rounder who doesn't excel in any one area too.

VJ will have his day!

Don't know where, don't know when , but some sunny day.........

Last edited:
So what you mean is that we should justify the players performance today, based on what we will get for them in a few years time? Strange
No, what I mean is that if we make a profit on a player that should be taken into consideration. Obviously we buy players to play and play well, but if they are sold at a profit then they have made a financial contribution.

Back