• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Kane has had plenty of games where very little was happening for him and he wasn't really getting shots off either. I can distinctly remember having a similar conversation in the Kane thread before when people claimed that this was a problem with Kane and I thought it was just that we weren't creating chances for him and a lack of chances coming his way by a bit of luck. Particularly in the first half against Burnley we weren't getting any crosses in, our buildup play was fairly poor and Burnley pressed us very effectively. We also lacked the raw energy and pace of Rose and Walker.

Can you see his head dropping? Can you see him giving up? Can you see him thinking that this was just the wrong move and he's just waiting for the summer to come to get out of here? If not I think it's fair to say he's done more than many others would have. Though high expectations in this too is obviously fair.

I think for a 22 year old striker a bit more than 700 minutes of league football should be given as time to settle. I don't have a particular threshold in mind, but I might as well ask you how you know he is settled as I think the generally accepted view is that it takes more than 700 minutes of league football.

Nope, i dont think you appreciate what i am saying or maybe you do and just focused on a seperate point (or maybe i just missed how you refered to it LOL). irrespective of what is happening with the rest of the team...my issue is what is the player himself doing. When things were not falling for kane you could argue that maybe he wasnt showing for the ball in certain situations etc but one thing you couldnt debate is that he was actually looking to get his goals just by positioning.....and where he actually was when something either was coming to him or when we were building a possesion. this is why pretty much every pundit had the same thing to say about his situation "the goals just arent coming right now but they will...he is just in a rut" etc etc that sort of thing. If he was completely out of the game with nothing at all going for him then it would be that he had a bad game.....and even when he wasnt scoring he was doing other things as well...and the things he was doing were still more direct with a positive motive from what i remember

i am glad you asked that question about his head dropping, burnley game aside i can flat out say yes that in some games when his touches were heavy and his bread and butter "hold the ball up and play to safety" weren't coming off his head decidedly dropped, he will chase back but regret and acknowledging the moment of poor touch was has been there to see, even worse ..i think the ultimate low for me was a game this season where he chased the ball down a channel ..had nothing in front of him but two spurs players and still managed to lose the ball from a challenge that he didnt even need to have been involved in ...straight away you see trippier and sissoko in that game raise their hands and in clear body language "what the fudge was that??!! what are you doing??!!" props to him that his head didnt drop during that occasion he just chased back. for me that was the lowest point.....when your team mates react in a negative way in unison.

as for reading his mind on moving away in the summer? i cant do that..i do wish i was xavier it would get me far but i haven't got that gift but just cause i cant read his mind on those things doesnt confirm that he has done more than many others would have. I doubt you can read his mind as well, who knows he might actually be thinking it. especially if we are after dembele from celtic

i never said he has settled. he probably has i dont know.....i just said that his performances are mediocre and not "good", i am saying he can do more to be more aggressive in getting to his spots to actually get goals. as for settling in..maybe he needs more time maybe he doesnt but you seem convinced that he ISNT settled. how will any of us know when he is settled? the only thing we can actually critique on is what he is actually doing. he is the bench player right now..not the starter..he should expect not to get that many minutes but the onus is on him to wrangle more minutes through performances. if you dont perform you dont get minutes...you dont keep forcing minutes and rewarding bad performances just so you can get the performances up at the greater risk of bad results..at least i dont think so.....maybe Poch sees the bigger picture and is willing to do that. Mine is very much a short term view on what he is doing right this moment and what he is doing is building himself steadily into the team / game / league while fighting a "lack of swag" / confidence issue.

I think Janssen would be much better in a 442 and working with a partner beside him. I think he needs players right next to him to be effective. He doesn't fashion chances for himself like a Kane or Defoe. He needs service, however i dont think he makes intelligent runs to help chances get created.

Jury is still out but he is new to the league and id give him till next season to see how he develops. If we sign another striker in the summer i would send him out on loan to a low premierleague team

Pretty much agree with everything here.....literally.

a 442 would benefit him greatly cause then he would have less need to feel like he should hold the ball up constantly and lay it off, then move to hold up again and then lay it off, then move to hold up again....you get the drift. he would be forced to make runs that takes him towards the reason we bought him, forced to take u[p positions that puts in in the hot zones from an attack if someone else is holding up the ball etc etc

1 issue with this guy, with all that effort you use in making sure you dont make a mistake / aren't a liability....split some of that off into running your arse into that box when someone is on the wing waiting for a cross. no need to constantly run to your winger to play hold up so someone else can run into the space you vacate

I mean why is it that son gets into the box more? to a lesser extent origi/iheanacho/llorente/defoe/negredo...most strikers you think of seem to be goal oriented but janssen strikes me as "hockey assist" oriented

102 pages of pure speculation. But what else could we do? We know Jack Sh*t about what´s going on.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Patrik Schick's goal for Sampdoria tonight? Talking of Italian football Dzeko has been on fire out there, never felt he ever got a fair shake at City.

I don't think Janssen needs a 442 specifically but I think any formation where his partner is close to him is going to be of big benefit. I know it was only Millwall but together with Son, they looked like they had a little spark, an understanding of sorts. 352 might be the way to go if we wanted to have them both playing alongside each other.

I don't think Janssen needs a 442 specifically but I think any formation where his partner is close to him is going to be of big benefit. I know it was only Millwall but together with Son, they looked like they had a little spark, an understanding of sorts. 352 might be the way to go if we wanted to have them both playing alongside each other.

Alli always gets close to the #9

Alli always gets close to the #9

I think in a different way. Alli will drop off and go wide whilst playing near the forward but Son runs the channels more and likes to play the one-twos off Janssen to get in behind, seen it against Leicester, Wycombe, Millwall and on Saturday too.

Nope, i dont think you appreciate what i am saying or maybe you do and just focused on a seperate point (or maybe i just missed how you refered to it LOL). irrespective of what is happening with the rest of the team...my issue is what is the player himself doing. When things were not falling for kane you could argue that maybe he wasnt showing for the ball in certain situations etc but one thing you couldnt debate is that he was actually looking to get his goals just by positioning.....and where he actually was when something either was coming to him or when we were building a possesion. this is why pretty much every pundit had the same thing to say about his situation "the goals just arent coming right now but they will...he is just in a rut" etc etc that sort of thing. If he was completely out of the game with nothing at all going for him then it would be that he had a bad game.....and even when he wasnt scoring he was doing other things as well...and the things he was doing were still more direct with a positive motive from what i remember

i am glad you asked that question about his head dropping, burnley game aside i can flat out say yes that in some games when his touches were heavy and his bread and butter "hold the ball up and play to safety" weren't coming off his head decidedly dropped, he will chase back but regret and acknowledging the moment of poor touch was has been there to see, even worse ..i think the ultimate low for me was a game this season where he chased the ball down a channel ..had nothing in front of him but two spurs players and still managed to lose the ball from a challenge that he didnt even need to have been involved in ...straight away you see trippier and sissoko in that game raise their hands and in clear body language "what the fudge was that??!! what are you doing??!!" props to him that his head didnt drop during that occasion he just chased back. for me that was the lowest point.....when your team mates react in a negative way in unison.

as for reading his mind on moving away in the summer? i cant do that..i do wish i was xavier it would get me far but i haven't got that gift but just cause i cant read his mind on those things doesnt confirm that he has done more than many others would have. I doubt you can read his mind as well, who knows he might actually be thinking it. especially if we are after dembele from celtic

i never said he has settled. he probably has i dont know.....i just said that his performances are mediocre and not "good", i am saying he can do more to be more aggressive in getting to his spots to actually get goals. as for settling in..maybe he needs more time maybe he doesnt but you seem convinced that he ISNT settled. how will any of us know when he is settled? the only thing we can actually critique on is what he is actually doing. he is the bench player right now..not the starter..he should expect not to get that many minutes but the onus is on him to wrangle more minutes through performances. if you dont perform you dont get minutes...you dont keep forcing minutes and rewarding bad performances just so you can get the performances up at the greater risk of bad results..at least i dont think so.....maybe Poch sees the bigger picture and is willing to do that. Mine is very much a short term view on what he is doing right this moment and what he is doing is building himself steadily into the team / game / league while fighting a "lack of swag" / confidence issue.

I think the reason we're talking past each other is that I'm talking about the Burnley game and you've said you didn't really watch all of that game and you're drawing a lot from what you've seen in previous games.

Someone's head dropping immediately after a poor involvement is hardly a problem. I'm talking about overall, his effort and his attitude in games like the Burnley game despite his problems this season.

He was our man of the match, we would not have won this game tonight if he didn't come off the bench.

Changed it up. That assist was emblematic of what he brings to the side. Long pass into him, stuck his a*se out, left his shadowing defender scrabbling at his back and f*cking *imperiously* slid a backheel through for Son for two.

I so, so hope this game is what finally sparks him into life here at Spurs. It was against a tired Swansea side, true - but he finally looked like he could hold his own in this league.

Changed it up. That assist was emblematic of what he brings to the side. Long pass into him, stuck his a*se out, left his shadowing defender scrabbling at his back and f*cking *imperiously* slid a backheel through for Son for two.

I so, so hope this game is what finally sparks him into life here at Spurs. It was against a tired Swansea side, true - but he finally looked like he could hold his own in this league.

The last few games have been incremental improvements, doing a job, following orders, now contributing .. still have some hope for him.

Janssen's hold up play is excellent -and very effective when you have runners off of him, and they begin to understand that he will set the ball up in the box for them.
Unfortunately he is too similar in style to Kane (similar but different) to play alongside Kane, so it is one or the other. But he could be a very good back up for Kane, and I hope we hang on to him.

Last edited:
He's not scored many, but the goals will come, and if he keeps putting in strong performances he'll grow into the side. Lovely assist.

Back