• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

so he starts a game for the first time since I can't remember and no comments ? Well not much to comment on because even as a target man he's anonymous, one half decent run all match, he had one shot for the 73 minutes he was on the pitch, the apologists will come out and bleat it was a different formation, burnley played very physical, they packed the midfield and yes that's true but decent strikers create opportunities for themselves, this guy wouldn't know how to run into space if he tried.
Poch did the right thing in replacing him with Son who's been flying halfway round the world the last week (while VJ has been sitting at home with a stomach upset, poor thing) and in the supersub role, Son gets the goal and looks 100x more threatening up top.

069_nyform_troll.jpg

Thought he did alright yesterday, gave their cb's a going over and tinkled them right off, so must have been doing something right.

Thought it worked well with Son coming on at the end, Jansen softened them up and then the pace and movement of Son ran them ragged, great combo.

Would like to see Son playing off Janssen at some point. They might complement each other, and connect well. He did well yesterday. Hard to hit the net when not playing regularly. But I thought Janssen was excellent, he just needs to get into shooting more, and shooting faster. He'll get there tho, he has a powerfull strike.

Thought he did alright yesterday, gave their cb's a going over and tinkled them right off, so must have been doing something right.

Thought it worked well with Son coming on at the end, Jansen softened them up and then the pace and movement of Son ran them ragged, great combo.

This, he occupied them, did his foul magnet thing (wins a lot of free kicks) and was generally a pest.

Combination of them being tired trying to match us, Gray going off (and our back line not having any concerns against pace anymore) and our subs (Dembele had an effect) and the game was only going one way, add more time on to that match and the scoreline would have just got worse.

It will be interesting to see if Poch goes with a similar approach vs Swansea, especially if they do not have Llorente.

Them not having Llorente will mean for me that the outball for them could be even more restricted and perhaps mean we'll be playing even more in their half. I wonder if that would suit Janssen and get him closer to having Pot-shots etc. He has seemed to link well with Son so if we have to play a back 4, perhaps that will be a chance to see Alli, Son, Eriksen and Janssen on the same pitch at the same time...

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if Poch goes with a similar approach vs Swansea, especially if they do not have Llorente.

Them not having Llorente will mean for me that the outball for them could be even more restricted and perhaps mean we'll be playing even more in their half. I wonder if that would suit Janssen and get him closer to having Pot-bricks etc. He has seemed to link well with Son so if we have to play a back 4, perhaps that will be a chance to see Alli, Son, Eriksen and Janssen on the same pitch at the same time...
Ha ha. Freudian slip (better with the swear filter off).

Another good game from him. Just needed a chance to drop his way and it would have been a very good game.

Deserves another start against Swansea imo.

A start? Ahead of Son? Personally disagree

he had an alright game. i dont think that was a 'good' game...once again he played in his safety zone and worked hard. All the things that you would expect from a guy low on confidence trying to stop the slide

I'm not faulting anything or much that he did in that game..he was present and made himself felt / known..but for me its that last bit that you mentioned "he just needed a chance to drop his way"

i dont think this is luck or the universe working against him..i think its his mindset/outlook on things and the way he has chosen to play for us...it's one of servitude rather than being an aggressive taker.

case in point that beautiful layoff to Davies.....that was indeed an amazing touch and perfect weighted short pass to a trailing full back...BUT were that kane..i am almost certain he would have fashioned a shot for himself

For me jansen needs to get more aggressive in the positions he takes up to get more goals but when your confidence is low then you over think things and you play safe and gradually find / work your way back to normal behaviour. i think jansen is still working his way through the less than ideal start. If he could just say "fudge it. i am going to score 10 today" in his actions i think he would be worth alot more than what we paid for him. There is physically no reason why Son and Alli should be getting all the chances

Style is important. Son's more effective against a high-line. Janssen when we need more possession (against a tougher opponent or to run the clock down).

I think starting Janssen in away games and bring Son on as a 'finisher' (in the Eddie Jones sense) is a good balance

Style is important. Son's more effective against a high-line. Janssen when we need more possession (against a tougher opponent or to run the clock down).

I think starting Janssen in away games and bring Son on as a 'finisher' (in the Eddie Jones sense) is a good balance

I agree. I don't have stats to back it up, but I think Son is better from the bench than playing from the start.

I agree. I don't have stats to back it up, but I think Son is better from the bench than playing from the start.

I actually dont think thats correct. i think son comes good whether you start him or not

there should be an easy way to check this. I will have a fish around

i could live with this because you are right , but then we would need to play son off the front man IMO, not off the bench..so like in a wing forward position while alli plays in the hole or something.

i just dont want to lose the fire power he brings

I actually dont think thats correct. i think son comes good whether you start him or not

there should be an easy way to check this. I will have a fish around

You could be right, it's just the general feeling I have when I watch him. He always seems to make things happen from the bench but is more hit and miss as a starter. Stats may prove me wrong though.

i could live with this because you are right , but then we would need to play son off the front man IMO, not off the bench..so like in a wing forward position while alli plays in the hole or something.

i just dont want to lose the fire power he brings

But isn't he an even sharper tool coming fresh off the bench against tired legs? For certain type of opponents (though by no means all) its maybe better to grind them down with Janssen's industry before unleashing the cutting tool. Burnley was a textbook case of that.

But isn't he an even sharper tool coming fresh off the bench against tired legs? For certain type of opponents (though by no means all) its maybe better to grind them down with Janssen's industry before unleashing the cutting tool. Burnley was a textbook case of that.
it worked with burnley sure, but why make a habit out of leaving it till late to bring on the big guns.
so start off slow and finish fast is what you're saying.

sometimes it cant be helped , i.e we have to play according to what the opposition puts in front of us,...but in the case of burnley..i reckon they would fancy themselves against us..and swansea most likely will try to play football with us. do we have to let our style get dictated by them?

plus even though yes he would be sharper..his suppliers might not be...and then that would be a wasted son. i mean as an exaggeration ...why dont we bring Alli off the bench then..? in the second half against tired legs?

A start? Ahead of Son? Personally disagree

he had an alright game. i dont think that was a 'good' game...once again he played in his safety zone and worked hard. All the things that you would expect from a guy low on confidence trying to stop the slide

I'm not faulting anything or much that he did in that game..he was present and made himself felt / known..but for me its that last bit that you mentioned "he just needed a chance to drop his way"

i dont think this is luck or the universe working against him..i think its his mindset/outlook on things and the way he has chosen to play for us...it's one of servitude rather than being an aggressive taker.

case in point that beautiful layoff to Davies.....that was indeed an amazing touch and perfect weighted short pass to a trailing full back...BUT were that kane..i am almost certain he would have fashioned a shot for himself

For me jansen needs to get more aggressive in the positions he takes up to get more goals but when your confidence is low then you over think things and you play safe and gradually find / work your way back to normal behaviour. i think jansen is still working his way through the less than ideal start. If he could just say "fudge it. i am going to score 10 today" in his actions i think he would be worth alot more than what we paid for him. There is physically no reason why Son and Alli should be getting all the chances

Depends on how we line up, and the likelihood of Wanyama and Dembele being ready against Swansea and Watford in short succession. A return to a 4-2-3-1 with Son, Alli and Eriksen behind Janssen seems at least somewhat likely to me. A front 3 with Son, Alli and Eriksen is of course also quite possible and I would be fine with that. But I still think Janssen deserves another start.

I think luck is a part of him not getting any good chances in that game for sure. This is just the way the cookie crumbles for strikers. Of course his confidence and him still not being fully settled also plays a part in it, but we've seen similar games from Kane and just about every striker in the world.

I disagree that what we're seeing is just what would be expected. Plenty of players who would have reacted much worse to the challenges Janssen has faced this season.

Depends on how we line up, and the likelihood of Wanyama and Dembele being ready against Swansea and Watford in short succession. A return to a 4-2-3-1 with Son, Alli and Eriksen behind Janssen seems at least somewhat likely to me. A front 3 with Son, Alli and Eriksen is of course also quite possible and I would be fine with that. But I still think Janssen deserves another start.

I think luck is a part of him not getting any good chances in that game for sure. This is just the way the cookie crumbles for strikers. Of course his confidence and him still not being fully settled also plays a part in it, but we've seen similar games from Kane and just about every striker in the world.

I disagree that what we're seeing is just what would be expected. Plenty of players who would have reacted much worse to the challenges Janssen has faced this season.

agree to disagree about luck playing a significant role in the availability of his chances. for whatever evil reason i keep a watchful eye on his movement....i will take your word for it though in te burnley game cause i didnt see the game in full..but him not getting that many chances didnt surprise me too much....if its anything like his previous games then he is actively and trying hard to run into positions of support....not positions of being the primary target for suppliers

the funny thing is that we have seen similar games from kane but at least kane is in the position , literally, to do something / get goals......even when kane is off form...he is shooting and he is getting into "Feed me the ball so i can score" positions. janssen is a different animal to kane in that respect

as for other players likely suffering worse than Janssen ...yes that could be true and probably is highly possible ..i can't argue against how people may or may not act in jansen's position. i mean do you have a striker in mind that would fold completely and change their style utterly if their confidence is down?

one more thing, how will we know if they are fully settled? is it when he starts playing well? how do you know he isnt settled now?

agree to disagree about luck playing a significant role in the availability of his chances. for whatever evil reason i keep a watchful eye on his movement....i will take your word for it though in te burnley game cause i didnt see the game in full..but him not getting that many chances didnt surprise me too much....if its anything like his previous games then he is actively and trying hard to run into positions of support....not positions of being the primary target for suppliers

the funny thing is that we have seen similar games from kane but at least kane is in the position , literally, to do something / get goals......even when kane is off form...he is shooting and he is getting into "Feed me the ball so i can score" positions. janssen is a different animal to kane in that respect

as for other players likely suffering worse than Janssen ...yes that could be true and probably is highly possible ..i can't argue against how people may or may not act in jansen's position. i mean do you have a striker in mind that would fold completely and change their style utterly if their confidence is down?

one more thing, how will we know if they are fully settled? is it when he starts playing well? how do you know he isnt settled now?

Kane has had plenty of games where very little was happening for him and he wasn't really getting shots off either. I can distinctly remember having a similar conversation in the Kane thread before when people claimed that this was a problem with Kane and I thought it was just that we weren't creating chances for him and a lack of chances coming his way by a bit of luck. Particularly in the first half against Burnley we weren't getting any crosses in, our buildup play was fairly poor and Burnley pressed us very effectively. We also lacked the raw energy and pace of Rose and Walker.

Can you see his head dropping? Can you see him giving up? Can you see him thinking that this was just the wrong move and he's just waiting for the summer to come to get out of here? If not I think it's fair to say he's done more than many others would have. Though high expectations in this too is obviously fair.

I think for a 22 year old striker a bit more than 700 minutes of league football should be given as time to settle. I don't have a particular threshold in mind, but I might as well ask you how you know he is settled as I think the generally accepted view is that it takes more than 700 minutes of league football.

I think Janssen would be much better in a 442 and working with a partner beside him. I think he needs players right next to him to be effective. He doesn't fashion chances for himself like a Kane or Defoe. He needs service, however i dont think he makes intelligent runs to help chances get created.

Jury is still out but he is new to the league and id give him till next season to see how he develops. If we sign another striker in the summer i would send him out on loan to a low premierleague team

Back