• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Shows how little attention I've been paying to international football! I thought there was about 6000 teams in the tournament now, I just assumed they'd be there haha.
They were in a group with The Czech Republic, Iceland, Turkey, Kazakhstan and Latvia, and somehow managed to end up in 4th place, 5 points off Turkey in 3rd! Not even close!

They were in a group with The Czech Republic, Iceland, Turkey, Kazakhstan and Latvia, and somehow managed to end up in 4th place, 5 points off Turkey in 3rd! Not even close!

Phuck me. Do they have any good players nowadays or what? Would Harry Kane score 50 goals in the Dutch league?

Hmmm...so could it work if we buy Janssen AND Batshuayi...AND keep Kane (before anybody steps in with anything)?

If we switch permanently to a two-striker system (or even a three-striker system), yeah, it could work. Given our expected outgoings, we could probably also afford that plus a reasonably cheap DM/CM (I'd expect that whole lot to cost about 60 million quid or thereabouts, and we've got about 12 million pounds' worth of money from the Townsend sale lying around plus possible outgoings like Pritchard, Chadli, Fazio, Yedlin and co. which could build up to a respectable sum received). But that is predicated on us deciding to stick with two (or three) strikers up top, which really limits our options behind them. We have an overabundance of trequartistas and attacking midfielders that will need to be shunted into the middle (as opposed to presently being stationed out wide with license to roam), and quite a few inside forwards (Son, Chadli, N'Jie) that we will then have to either dispose of or reorient to play a more traditional wide midfielder role in a 4-4-2.

Alternately, we could play Kane in the #10 role and a striker up front, which then gives us license to bring in a third man to cover for the other two and keep our present system. But that would involve moving Alli out of the highly successful second striker role he's been occupying, and (likely) back into a CM position alongside Dier.

I don't know squat about the process of a football transfer, but given it's been a week since Janssen was in London and there's been no movement, does that mean the discussions didn't go well? Maybe not Janssen's demands, but perhaps something about the profile of the player that didn't appeal to Poch?

I don't know squat about the process of a football transfer, but given it's been a week since Janssen was in London and there's been no movement, does that mean the discussions didn't go well? Maybe not Janssen's demands, but perhaps something about the profile of the player that didn't appeal to Poch?

I saw somewhere that the player was going on holiday last Friday, so that could be a delaying factor, although I would assume most negotiations on personal terms will be through an agent rather than directly - which could be the reason for links to other clubs are now appearing. We were supposedly in "advanced talks" with the club, so those talks to agree a transfer fee could still be going on. Because our transfer dealings are generally carried out in a low key manner (thankfully), it is hard to know for sure the status of any prospective deal.

Was he reported as "being in London" or "being in London to talk to Spurs", there is a big difference there.

But if I remember rightly wasn't it made clear he was only allowed to have talks and no fee or anything had been agreed?

Of course, the scouts and Mitchell are paid to watch him in games and probably pick up on things we can't as fans (off-the-ball movement, perhaps, or footballing intelligence), but from my lamentable Youtube-based standpoint he doesn't seem all that special; decent finisher, decent header, gets into good positions fairly frequently..but doesn't look exceptional in any of those categories, and doesn't particularly look stronger than most, or possessed of any innate physical attributes that recommend themselves immediately to the observer (As far as examples of this phenomenon go, Batshuayi is pretty powerfully built, and Lacazette is just really quick).

Many would say that based on attributes you've listed that Kane doesn't seem that special either nor does a certain Mr Muller.

Many would say that based on attributes you've listed that Kane doesn't seem that special either nor does a certain Mr Muller.

I think you're doing Kane a bit of an injustice there; he's a supremely talented finisher. I've never seen another Spurs striker with the ability to pick out the corner with a low drive as regularly as he does.

As for Muller, he is precisely the sort of player that scouts are paid to pick up on, because his strength lies in his magnificent off-the-ball movement and tactical awareness. Most of the time, however, players with those skills are less flashy than ones with more obvious traits - Muller's the exception because of the media's continuing fascination with the 'Raumdeuter' role he plays.

From the limited standpoint of YT videos, Janssen isn't quite as good at finishing as Kane is, and we'd certainly hear about it if he was as good at finding space as Muller is.

Raumdeuter...that's a new one on me ;)

Agree with you on Muller. Incredible player who's will to win is almost Keane'esque in it's intensity.

Raumdeuter...that's a new one on me ;)

Agree with you on Muller. Incredible player who's will to win is almost Keane'esque in it's intensity.

It was new to everyone bar Muller, since he was the one who came up with it when asked to describe what his playing style was. 'Space finder', I think it translates to. :p

Back