• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Wanyama's played a lot of football, I wouldn't mind Dier in his place with Dembele and Wimmer in the back 3 against the Swans. Hope it is alright, we need players back for the run in. Winks looks like he's out for a while. Was increasingly Poch's go to guy to keep ball in the middle, ideal as a sub.

I agree, against Swansea let's give the big man a rest. No Winks isn't ideal but Wanyama has played constantly this season. Lucky Kenya don't play as much football as most international teams!

Looked to me like Vertonghen called for it, so Wanyama stayed on the deck to let Vertonghen head it. Meanwhile Barnes came flying in to (fairly) challenge Vertonghen, and his (usual, protective) knee went into Wanyama's back. I know from experience that can be astonishingly painful. Am still surprised he didn't just play through the pain, I thought he was made of Iroko (African hard wood).

flying in challenge with knee raised is really very dangerous and should be outlawed.
while the intent is self-protection, it can cause some real damage.
its absolutely unecessary.

I agree, against Swansea let's give the big man a rest. No Winks isn't ideal but Wanyama has played constantly this season. Lucky Kenya don't play as much football as most international teams!

I'm amazed he hasn't single handed won the ACAF for them in full beast mode

All the other players must be awful by comparison

I'm amazed he hasn't single handed won the ACAF for them in full beast mode

All the other players must be awful by comparison

On African soil, Wanyama and Yaya Toure are weaklings. Zambia's midfield ran rings around Toure, Drogba, Zokora et al in 2012. The physical advantage that they have in club soccer counts for nothing. Watch how Mane was turned into a toothless dog in the Nations Cup. Iwobi is also a weakling.

On African soil, Wanyama and Yaya Toure are weaklings. Zambia's midfield ran rings around Toure, Drogba, Zokora et al in 2012. The physical advantage that they have in club soccer counts for nothing. Watch how Mane was turned into a toothless dog in the Nations Cup. Iwobi is also a weakling.

Why can't those players perform on a bigger stage though like Toure and Victor

Why can't those players perform on a bigger stage though like Toure and Victor

Do they receive the chance to? Most African CMs are cast as physical dominating midfielders. The likes of Okocha et al are not so desired in Europe. You have CMs like Bentaleb and Ndidi for Leicester has a chance but then he is a member of the same set as Ihenacho, Musa Yahaya etc

Good lord, this is rubbish :)

Only the lucky ones make it :rolleyes:

actually that could be true, many of the players that are talented get lost in corruption and distractions like you wouldnt believe

I just dont agree with the idea that toure / drogba et al are weaklings. their physical traits dont have as much significance back on the home continent as they do in the 1st world but it it has enough over a vast majority of the local players..plus its not like you get people of their physical prowess that can actually play with good technique and intelligence every day

Hope he's recovered enough to play against Swansea - our consistency this season is typified by Wanyama's presence. Would be a major boost to any opposition not to see his name on the team sheet.

actually that could be true, many of the players that are talented get lost in corruption and distractions like you wouldnt believe

I just dont agree with the idea that toure / drogba et al are weaklings. their physical traits dont have as much significance back on the home continent as they do in the 1st world but it it has enough over a vast majority of the local players..plus its not like you get people of their physical prowess that can actually play with good technique and intelligence every day

Watch the last few editions of the Nations Cup. It is astonishing how often those players were easily tackled, shackled and muscled off the ball. One player (in recent times i.e. since 2010) that I know was able to shake off challenges both in EPL and the ANC is Mikel Obi.

But obi is no better than sissoko

I really beg to disagree. Mikel Obi is a far more dangerous and cerebral player than Sissoko. He has won far more titles at club and international level and played a key part as well. He is someone who I can argue that moving to Chelsea destroyed him for Nigeria. He was supposed to be the heir to Okocha wrt playmaking duties. Chelsea turned him into a DM from a 2 way midfielder. For Nigeria, he plays all three roles in central midfield. He has similar levels of ball control to Moussa Dembele.

I really beg to disagree. Mikel Obi is a far more dangerous and cerebral player than Sissoko. He has won far more titles at club and international level and played a key part as well. He is someone who I can argue that moving to Chelsea destroyed him for Nigeria. He was supposed to be the heir to Okocha wrt playmaking duties. Chelsea turned him into a DM from a 2 way midfielder. For Nigeria, he plays all three roles in central midfield. He has similar levels of ball control to Moussa Dembele.

Wow...Mikel for me is an awful player and to even put him in Dembeles league so sacrilege

Yes he won trophies but mainly as a squad player and a peripheral figure.

I honestly can't comment on his style before signing for Chelsea but seeing him at them he looked like a basic footballer there for his athletic ability - kinda like a less busy zokora

Quick look at his stats and he played 22 times a season for Chelsea on average but I can't see how many were starts. He did get to play with essien and makalele who were truly world class players

Last edited:

Brilliant ... so when playing for Chelsea he showed glimpses of this awesome player? Not even! Perhaps the AFCON don't have the same standard of football as the premier league and so looks brilliant amongst lesser opposition.

I don't doubt Africa produces some real gems but Obi is far from any conversation when talking about Abidi, Weah, okocha, Hassan, miller, Etoo, drogba, essien, naybet, nayim etc not to even mention players that chose to play for France.

I saw Niang score a cracker for Watford last night. On loan from AC Milan. I remember we were linked with him but don't know much about him?

Back