• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

I really beg to disagree. Mikel Obi is a far more dangerous and cerebral player than Sissoko. He has won far more titles at club and international level and played a key part as well. He is someone who I can argue that moving to Chelsea destroyed him for Nigeria. He was supposed to be the heir to Okocha wrt playmaking duties. Chelsea turned him into a DM from a 2 way midfielder. For Nigeria, he plays all three roles in central midfield. He has similar levels of ball control to Moussa Dembele.
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with that post more !

Last edited:
I really beg to disagree. Mikel Obi is a far more dangerous and cerebral player than Sissoko. He has won far more titles at club and international level and played a key part as well. He is someone who I can argue that moving to Chelsea destroyed him for Nigeria. He was supposed to be the heir to Okocha wrt playmaking duties. Chelsea turned him into a DM from a 2 way midfielder. For Nigeria, he plays all three roles in central midfield. He has similar levels of ball control to Moussa Dembele.
Did you really just compare Mikel and Okocha while keeping a straight face?

Wow...Mikel for me is an awful player and to even put him in Dembeles league so sacrilege

Yes he won trophies but mainly as a squad player and a peripheral figure.

I honestly can't comment on his style before signing for Chelsea but seeing him at them he looked like a basic footballer there for his athletic ability - kinda like a less busy zokora

Quick look at his stats and he played 22 times a season for Chelsea on average but I can't see how many were starts. He did get to play with essien and makalele who were truly world class players

Mikel's control of the ball is on Dembele's level. He was not a player you could get the ball off easily. This was consistent from his days at WYC 2005 when he won second best player behind Messi right till now for Nigeria. It is rare for Mikel to lose the ball. For Chelsea, he provided that defensive stability.

With him, Chelsea won the UCL (where he played a key part) and the Europa league. There were seasons e.g. the current season where he didnt play as much.

Mikel's control of the ball is on Dembele's level. He was not a player you could get the ball off easily. This was consistent from his days at WYC 2005 when he won second best player behind Messi right till now for Nigeria. It is rare for Mikel to lose the ball. For Chelsea, he provided that defensive stability.

With him, Chelsea won the UCL (where he played a key part) and the Europa league. There were seasons e.g. the current season where he didnt play as much.

I think you may have some African blinkers on there

I'm sure if you asked 100 football fans to even compare the two players on any level less than 10% would out Mikel on par with dembele for anything other than possibly his running

Mikel is not held in high regard over here by anyone that I've ever met

Now Okocha and Drogba for example they are

control of the ball and getting the ball off the player are two different things.

control of the ball and getting the ball off the player are two different things.

They are and Mikel was never great at either

He was a solid player but nothing more in my opinion and I genuinely believe that would the case for most fans in the western world

Read it. I said that Mikel was meant to be the heir to Okocha in the Nigerian team wrt playmaking duties. No Nigerian will dispute that.
My friend had a nice BMW M5..... Unfortunately he managed to have a pretty nasty crash in it... his insurance company gave him a Ford Mondeo to replace it. As the heir to the BMW M5, the Ford Mondeo was probably akin to having Mikel as the playmaker heir to Okocha. Lucky for my friend the M5 was eventually fixed and he got it back.... Nigeria weren't so fortunate and were stuck with Mikel instead of being lucky enough to get an Okocha back.

On a related note here. I thought it was criminal that Okocha never played for Spurs. He was the very definition of a Spurs player I thought. I would've loved to have watched him in our colours.

Paid the price for an early booking today. Nullifies his game when he's on a yellow card tightrope. Needs to be careful in the NLD for the first 30-45 mins and avoid a yellow because we need his beast mode.

Paid the price for an early booking today. Nullifies his game when he's on a yellow card tightrope. Needs to be careful in the NLD for the first 30-45 mins and avoid a yellow because we need his beast mode.

Probably best for us in the end, got an early sub, more rest before NLD.

Think we are in a good spot now, Wanyama has been great for us, and when absent Dier steps in and reminds us why we thought he was the key DM in club.

There was a game earlier in the season where he got booking in the first 10, and everyone panicked, but he was impeccable

I remember that.
It was the point where a lot of us realised he was even further along that we'd thought and wasn't just a good player for the squad but a viable starting XI player.
He didn't hide in that game either, he just played really well.

I remember that.
It was the point where a lot of us realised he was even further along that we'd thought and wasn't just a good player for the squad but a viable starting XI player.
He didn't hide in that game either, he just played really well.

Pretty sure it was Emirates Marketing Project at home

Back